Shipping Mafia - Rule 9a invoked for universal loss

eclipse

Snip could easily be "As a mafia member, you have no shipping partner. Do not reveal this information to the town." OR it could have been a clue that pointed to nobody in the game.

I think we can rule out town-town/scum-scum only pairs based on the implication of an even number of scum--there should probably be 3, although 2 is plausible if everyone becomes a SK on death.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

public psa: my activity is likely to plummet over the next few days due to an imminent family death and I probably won't be in a good state of mind to play mafia. if I am around, it's probably because I will be trying to take my mind off my life stresses

thank god i'm town leader otherwise i'd probably have to sub out due to having to argue with people

Everyone becoming a SK upon death can be pretty safely ruled out- there'd be at least one new SK every day, which is pretty dumb. Either way, mafia not having ships would make it waaaaaay too easy to catch them.

Still displeased with Cam- all he's done is say that Grass's vote was sheepy, except then he didn't even follow that up with a case or a vote. He also promised content yesterday morning and it still hasn't come. From what I know about roles, I'm also more wary about him than the others.

Something I disliked about Elie's vote- he didn't really say much about the Shinori vote, like what exactly rung the bell.

I can see a Goon claiming Vanilla, btw, Manix.

Okay I'm not quite getting the responses I'm looking for. I'll rephrase the question (quote edited, bold added)

question for all: how likely to you think that any scum (regardless of role) have claimed vanilla town?

Because of the entire "any role can be any alignment", I don't expect to see non-Vanillas claiming Vanillas. They'll probably just claim their own role.

Also, 4 people died last night. Anyone up for stating if their role changed upon the death of their partner?

hunting by flavor is dumb but

Saddened by the fate of one of your fellow townies, all of you retire for the night. Off in the distance, you hear a scream.

implying blitz's role PM change

Shocked at the day's events, you begin talking amongst yourselves.

implying no changes

question for all: how likely to you think that any scum have claimed vanilla town?

Take my answer within the context that I've never been mafia in a role-heavy game before (if you think I'm mafia this game, it would still be my first time). Vanilla scum claiming vanilla town seems like the safest move for them personally, unless I'm missing something. Non-vanilla scum claiming vanilla seems fairly likely too with a game setup that facilitates it and a town leader set up, since they wouldn't have to watch out for a watcher or tracker who thinks they're scummy; they just have to evaluate if Manix thinks they're scummy enough to investigate, and then choose whether or not to use their action based on that. Claiming an investigative role lets them protect their buddies better, but it's risky and is more relevant the closer the town/Manix is to finding scum already (I don't know if we're doing well enough to warrant that to be honest). I don't see a good reason for scum to claim a killing or defensive role.

I don't know how much you've been directing people's actions though, Manix. It affects some factors above and if you started assigning people's actions to targets as soon as they claimed to you I think it would disincentivize other mafia from claiming a role with an action -- it takes away the control they would otherwise have over their targets.

Also, I have a question. Assuming that I am not mafia, would it make sense for mafia!scorri to ask me to claim when she did? Yeah, I'm still on that train. This is actually a question that I don't have the experience to answer to my own satisfaction, though.

WRT the the scum claiming vanilla question. I actually don't think scum would have claimed vanilla. Unless they were something like a role cop or some sort. Or something that is generally a definite scum role.

Wait, what are you talking about? The only thing I remember asking you about is your shipping hint and that's because I was trying to match people up with their partners in an attempt to find mine.

Because of the entire "any role can be any alignment", I don't expect to see non-Vanillas claiming Vanillas. They'll probably just claim their own role.

Also, 4 people died last night. Anyone up for stating if their role changed upon the death of their partner?

I'm willing to bet only certain roles have the possibility of changing.

Oh, oops, misread you, thought you were BBM.

Ok, claim. Me asking you to claim at the point in time where I did is perfectly reasonable. We had only a couple hours left before deadline and you were a high contender for the lynch. I don't know about you, but I prefer to not lynch the cop if we can avoid it, so asking for a claim is perfectly reasonable.

Oh, oops, misread you, thought you were BBM.

Ok, claim. Me asking you to claim at the point in time where I did is perfectly reasonable. We had only a couple hours left before deadline and you were a high contender for the lynch. I don't know about you, but I prefer to not lynch the cop if we can avoid it, so asking for a claim is perfectly reasonable.

I know it's reasonable for town, but I'm asking if it's reasonable for scum.

I don't know how much you've been directing people's actions though, Manix. It affects some factors above and if you started assigning people's actions to targets as soon as they claimed to you I think it would disincentivize other mafia from claiming a role with an action -- it takes away the control they would otherwise have over their targets.

*looks at flips*

yep. for what it's worth I told everyone exactly who they should target last night, or had someone pass it on for me. such is the duty of a town leader. I didn't tell them who to target straight away, I discussed it with them first/waited for more claims before doing so.

anyway back to being an emotional wreck

Strege, if it's reasonable for town, then it's reasonable for scum, because scum want to seem town. That said, because it's reasonable for town, it's not scummy even though it's reasonable for scum.

(It would not be reasonable for scum if you claiming would prompt a switch to a mafia wagon. But the other wagon was Kay, and obviously she was town.)

Anyway, it's not scummier than null. (You can do better than tunnelling on scorri.)

Strege, if it's reasonable for town, then it's reasonable for scum, because scum want to seem town. That said, because it's reasonable for town, it's not scummy even though it's reasonable for scum.

(It would not be reasonable for scum if you claiming would prompt a switch to a mafia wagon. But the other wagon was Kay, and obviously she was town.)

Anyway, it's not scummier than null. (You can do better than tunnelling on scorri.)

I disagree with your first assessment; I can think of examples of reasonable town behaviour that scum would avoid under most circumstances -- like claiming vig as an example from this game.

Your second point is more the kind of information I'm looking for. Kay only had two votes at the time though, like Ether did; she wasn't really the other wagon until later.

I know I can do better than tunneling on scorri, and yet I'm aware that I'm doing that to some extent. That's part of why I'm asking for input. You're right that I should address some of my other scumreads, though, as we all should . There hasn't been much substantial content from the other big ones, so I'll reiterate (because I think BBM has asked for content from both) that I'd like to see some more input from Cam in general and at least a better explanation of Elie's vote -- it doesn't really apply pressure if we don't know why you're voting.

Cam (2): BBM, Grassbridger

Shinori (1): Elieson

Strege (1): scorri

Not voting: Balcerzak, Cam, Manix, Shinori, Strege

25 hours until this game ends in a universal loss.

So in case it wasn't completely obvious what I'm planning; I'm seriously considering NL today and letting night actions pull through. To be completely fair I believe I have two pseudoclears in claims and I'm seriously considering shooting at a risk tonight.

People's thoughts on NL, considering the damn lack of activity?

I think people went like finals hard core and also I think people went like, "AMG TOWN LEADER AFK"

I'm not too opposed to a NL however I'm partially worried because of how many kills happened last night.

also I think people went like, "AMG TOWN LEADER AFK"

well people need to get their butt in gear, I won't live forever i'm pretty sure