Let's Play: Rome 2 Total War - Completed - ROMA INVICTA

IGdood

Hi all! Skitarii/IGdood here!

This thread will eventually turn into LP thread for Rome 2: Total War.

65611_657011394325952_1919946211_n.jpg

TWR2_PC_2DPACK_WEB_UK_PROV.jpg

My first LP on SF was with Empire: Total War because I saw a few fans of it hanging around (Furetchen, Integrity, AcaciaSgt, Rewjeo, etc)

So before I dwell further, what is Total War?

In a short summary, Total War is part strategy, part tactical (mostly tactical) game involving huge clashes between armies. Here's a little copy paste from my other LPs on what Total War is:

For newcomers to the Total War series and those who just want to look at my Let's Play, I welcome you. Total War series is probably one of the most involved strategy games ever. I'll give some basics, but you'll be learning as I go through the campaign and such.

The game is mainly divided into two segments: Turn-based and real-time.

In the turn-based segments you move your armies around, manage your cities, train troops, make diplomacy, assassinate enemy generals, spy on enemy cities and whatnot. This is probably the part that turns most casual gamers away, it gets very taxing keeping track of everything.

Real-time occurs when your armies clash with others on the world map. The game will do a pretty epic zoom-in onto the map (or just go straight to the battle on the much older 2D games). Your general (or captain if you didn't put one there) will give a speech that could be heroic or shitty (if he's insane or cowardly) and you can position your men. After that you can begin the battle and start making your moves.

Units are not single individuals, but are groups of soldiers, which can range from 80 (knights, elites) to 200 (peasants, low quality infantry) Growths are static, with every level up increasing attack and defence by 1. There are named characters who are part of your royal family, and they become generals if placed in an army. They develop depending on the situations you put them in on the battlefield, which can lead to very awesome warriors or very....umm...insane people. This can boost or screw over your troops' stats.

The main goal of the game is to conquer your enemies, or if you're into roleplaying history, you can be merciful or just do nothing and watch what the other countries do.

In battle, the main goal is to rout the enemy, basically break their will to fight. So, with clever positioning and even with lesser soldiers, you can defeat armies who are theoretically superior. Usually if people are getting chopped from the front, shot at in the sides, and charged in the back, it usually guarantees a rout. You can choose to let them run away and fight you on a better day, or you can chase and cut them down like the dogs they are.

So the game I'll be covering is Rome 2: Total War, to be released in September 2013. This is the biggest Total War title yet, as Creative Assembly (the developers) have reported that Sega as boosted their funding by 40% compared to past titles because they want it to be a blockbuster hit.

So what's unique about this one?

Time Period: Classical Antiquity - Romans, Gauls, Celts, Greeks, Macedonia, Parthia, Suebi.....yeah I think it's one of the less-explored time periods in most media.

New Features/Changes from Past Games that might be interesting:

Soldiers now show a lot more reactions to their surroundings. They'll freak out if they see friends getting shot.

Fog of War has been revamped. You can now only see what your units see. If there's a building in the way, you won't be able to see what's behind it.

Naval battles and land battles can be combined. You can send units to assault cities via sea, and then the battle will be something akin to Saving Private Ryan's beach landing.

And the best one!

Entire armies now gain traits affecting the units inside the army (Kind of like the Soul Nomad room system) When you raise an army you create a new entity and fill it up with the units you want. As the army fights, it gains skills that let it be more effective at what it does (assault, siegecraft, defense) by imparting these bonuses to units that are a part of it. These are traditions. The importance of the general character from past games has been diminished somewhat. While generals still impart some sort of bonus to their armies depending on their personality and trait development, they don't last very long in game length (they can die of old age) while traditions last forever. Even if an army is destroyed, the army can be brought back, though the units will be new recruits trying their best to follow the traditions.

Armies can be named.

And I need names.

You will nominate names, SF.

Of course, there's also the usual improved graphics.

Hyped yet? I certainly am, though it's because I'm a longtime fan of the series.

Here's the links to my other Total War LPs.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25238?st=0
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26997?st=0
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31234
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=22321?st=0

More sceenies to get hyped with

FactionRevealRome1.jpg
Carthage_sacredband.jpg
Macedon_Shield_Bearers.png
PaintedOnes.jpg
Arverni_OathSworn.jpg
Suebi_berserkers_TWR2.pngParthiaRoyalCataphracts.png
EgyptPikemen.png
PonticRoyalCavalry.jpg
Athens.png
Epirus.png
Sparta.png

Edited by IGdood

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserved for Names

Capitoline Brigade - Jedi

Bronze Wolves - Jedi

Fiorentina Coarse Lads - Furetchen

FIRST CAPUA FIGHT - Integrity

Euskadi Legion - AcaciaSgt

Bittermelon Brigade - eclipse

A.grippin' V.ictory B.y T.hroat - Rehab

Edited by IGdood

The legend of the Capitoline Wolf makes me want to give you a wolf like name.. So lets go with

The Bronze Wolves? Eh.. It's late I can't think of anything better at the moment.

Capitoline Brigade perhaps

Edited by Jedi

The legend of the Capitoline Wolf makes me want to give you a wolf like name.. So lets go with

The Bronze Wolves? Eh.. It's late I can't think of anything better at the moment.

Capitoline Brigade perhaps

Heheh, I like the Roman origin reference.

Let's 'ave it for the FIORENTINA COARSE LADS

All hail the FIRST CAPUA FIGHT

Great to see the old gang here!

I am so fucking hyped for Rome 2.

Edited by IGdood

Well, what the heck, it'd be fun to get back on naming stuff on these LP's. Though I don't see why start taking them already when it's still months before release but oh well...

Anyway, I bring up: "Euskadi Legion".

Well, what the heck, it'd be fun to get back on naming stuff on these LP's. Though I don't see why start taking them already when it's still months before release but oh well...

Anyway, I bring up: "Euskadi Legion".

Well, I just like to do things early. That way I can assign names without having to wait too long for replies when I get to playing.

Before they were Pineapple Huggers. . .they were the Bittermelon Brigade!

(I need to stop naming my army units after food)

Before they were Pineapple Huggers. . .they were the Bittermelon Brigade!

(I need to stop naming my army units after food)

Well, at least the elephants won't eat those guys for breakfast!

Wow, Rome 2 looks amazing, I'm hoping the OST would be good and if they have an alternate history mode where the Romans won Teutoburg Forest

The OST will be done by Richard Beddow, aka the guy who did Empire and Napoleon. Jeff Van Dyck (the guy who did everything else) isn't returning.

As for the Teutoburg forest, there is a historical battle where you have to escape with 3 eagle legions, unfortunately it's scripted to be unwinnable....

nominating:

A.grippin'

V.ictory

B.y

T.hroat

I assume that's supposed to go sideways....

EIther way, it sounds very Greek, so if mercenaries work the same way they do in past games, this name will go to the armies I will raise in Greece.

The OST will be done by Richard Beddow, aka the guy who did Empire and Napoleon. Jeff Van Dyck (the guy who did everything else) isn't returning.

As for the Teutoburg forest, there is a historical battle where you have to escape with 3 eagle legions, unfortunately it's scripted to be unwinnable....

I assume that's supposed to go sideways....

EIther way, it sounds very Greek, so if mercenaries work the same way they do in past games, this name will go to the armies I will raise in Greece.

I see, thats a shame about the but still a good composer.

Looking forward to when you get the game and LP it.

Updated post 2 with the Cleopatra trailer.

THOSE CHARIOTS

THOSE ELEPHANTS

HNNNNNGH

I would direct you here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?603600-New-Rome-2-PICTURES-ARTICLES-amp-VIDEOS-6-6-13

You may die from the campaign map.

Hype.

I'll be heading to Rezzed so hopefully I can see some more of the game.

Edited by Kelsper

I would direct you here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?603600-New-Rome-2-PICTURES-ARTICLES-amp-VIDEOS-6-6-13

You may die from the campaign map.

Hype.

I'll be heading to Rezzed so hopefully I can see some more of the game.

Thank you sir. I woke up and that was the first thing I saw.

You're going to Rezzed? Lucky you, give us a full report on what happens!

• 3 weeks later...

Armies can be given names but a faction can only have a limited amount of armies.

I think the limit is pretty high but obviously I can only field 1-3 armies at the beginning of the game.

How do you want it to be? Should I just name armies in abbreviated versions of the names given and let you guys pick what units they represent?

So assume that the CAPUA FIRST FIGHT represent the spearmen and Bronze Wolves represent the swords.

So then the army they're in I would name "CFF, BW" If I do that, I was planning on putting a more Roman spin on it, naming the army "LEGIO CAPUA WOLVES FIORENTINA ...etc" aka the first word of each name is placed in the title.

Or I can just give 1 army 1 name.

Apparently colors and emblems are customizable, but I do wish there's more info. I guess that's what Rezzed is for, and today's Rezzed!

• 1 month later...

Newish video on the audio of Rome 2.

Hiring Mark Strong (from Sherlock Holmes) is worrying me though. I'm certain his price isn't low, but it seems he's only doing voice work for the Prologue. My concern is that the developers (or maybe it's Sega's choice) are wasting their money on little things instead of working to improve the game as a whole.

I'm pretty much going to LP the main game (maybe also the prologue as an introductory piece to the LP)

Armies can be given names but a faction can only have a limited amount of armies.

I think the limit is pretty high but obviously I can only field 1-3 armies at the beginning of the game.

How do you want it to be? Should I just name armies in abbreviated versions of the names given and let you guys pick what units they represent?

So assume that the CAPUA FIRST FIGHT represent the spearmen and Bronze Wolves represent the swords.

So then the army they're in I would name "CFF, BW" If I do that, I was planning on putting a more Roman spin on it, naming the army "LEGIO CAPUA WOLVES FIORENTINA ...etc" aka the first word of each name is placed in the title.

Or I can just give 1 army 1 name.

Apparently colors and emblems are customizable, but I do wish there's more info. I guess that's what Rezzed is for, and today's Rezzed!

Late: slight preference to the latter, not going to throw fit if former proves better though

(maybe also the prologue as an introductory piece to the LP)

also this'd be cool, or a brief description of it at least would be nice

Edited by Rehab

Alright.

And damn, I cannot contain my hype boner. If the little guys are as reactive as they're shown here, this would certainly make for some excellent LP screenshots.

Those burning soldiers.

Those faces.

That elephant closing its eyes as it falls over and dies.

That music.

Edited by IGdood

For all of you looking for a good deal on Rome 2 Total War it is currently on sale for ~ $37 USD (Originally $60 as it is unreleased yet) Comes with Pre-Order DLC.

This Brazilian site is trustworthy, as I have used it myself buying Borderlands 2 DLC.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1213-total-war-rome-ii