SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falco? No way, he's already been in two Smash Bros games and he's cool. I also think he's Star Fox's equivalent to Luigi. Though I can't be sure since I've never played Star Fox. I think Wolf should be dropped.

I don't think either of them should be dropped.... Am I the only one? =3= I think Wolf and Falco are both pretty cool... And that aside, they're both pretty distinct in their fighting styles, so why drop them?

Falco? No way, he's already been in two Smash Bros games and he's cool. I also think he's Star Fox's equivalent to Luigi. Though I can't be sure since I've never played Star Fox. I think Wolf should be dropped.

I only have played Starfox 64, so I cannot say about the other both games, but to my mind Falco Lombardi is not really the equivalent to Luigi. He is the biggest confident of Fox McCloud and always wants to be better than him, but the main hero of Starfox is Fox McCloud. Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad have the same influence in Starfox64 like Falco. Luigi has an own series unlike Falco.

I would just like to point out that no one (except me apparently) likes Slippy, and Peppy stopped being a pilot for the team after SF64 IIRC. Falco might not be around all the time but he's certainly got the style and the attitude lol. Yeah, you can't really compare him to Luigi due to the fact that Fox basically has 3 Luigis (and at the same time none kinda), but Falco's pretty fitting IMO, he makes the most sense to put in out of Team Star Fox (and yes, that includes Krystal).

I really don't see what the problem with having a major supporting character + villain repping Star Fox is .-. (that may or may not have been the model for my selecting K. Rool as the most likely (IMO) newcomer candidate for DK) Besides, a lot of people really like Wolf too, he's a cool character.

I would just like to point out that no one (except me apparently) likes Slippy, and Peppy stopped being a pilot for the team after SF64 IIRC. Falco might not be around all the time but he's certainly got the style and the attitude lol. Yeah, you can't really compare him to Luigi due to the fact that Fox basically has 3 Luigis (and at the same time none kinda), but Falco's pretty fitting IMO, he makes the most sense to put in out of Team Star Fox (and yes, that includes Krystal).

I really don't see what the problem with having a major supporting character + villain repping Star Fox is .-. (that may or may not have been the model for my selecting K. Rool as the most likely (IMO) newcomer candidate for DK) Besides, a lot of people really like Wolf too, he's a cool character.

I would like to see some StarFox characters, if they have different movesets and final smashes.

I would like to see some StarFox characters, if they have different movesets and final smashes.

Agreed ~___~ 'Poisonally, I prefer the air' indeed.

Falco is like the best

If he doesn't return, that would be another slap in the face

I'm certain he will, no worries. Ridley not being playable is the biggest slap in the face that I think we can expect. =3=

Also Poly I'm pissed about that too. And they included Rosalina. Rosalina. Instead of someone like Bower Jr. or Waluigi

Yes, God forbid they add someone who actually contributed to the series as a reasonably-interesting supporting character! The horror!

Regarding the whole Ridley thing, here's my crazy wish:

Meta-Ridley from Prime will be a character and Other M's Ridley will be the pyrosphere's stage hazard.

And I'm gonna be a Other M hater and say that if my crazy scenario doesn't happen instead of the Pyrosphere with Other M's Ridley, they should have used the Chozo Temple from Prime as a stage with Meta-Ridley acting as a stage hazard

Wolf Falco should both return. They play ridiculously different from each other and have different movesets. Having their own final smashes would be cool though.

- Sakurai's Miiverse post of Pyrosphere: 'An enemy from Samus' past will appear here' (paraphrased b/c I can't find the post or remember exact wording). It's obviously hinting at Ridley, as none of Metroid's other villains are related to Samus' past. You could maybe say Mother Brain, but she's an AT and thus can show up on all stages (unless certain ATs are stage-specific this time around, which I doubt).

- Furthermore, the section of Other M's Bottle Ship that the Pyrosphere represents is in fact the exact arena where you fight Ridley in his final form.

This is a good argument, and probably the best one against Ridley as playable. If the stage weren't so specific, I could say someone like Kraid, but as it is...I don't think I have anything for this other than "it's not for sure."

- In the Developer Direct, Ridley was not shown, but he was implied beyond any other possibility-- why hide him? I'm still not completely sure myself, but it could potentially mean one of a few things. 1) Instead of a stage hazard, Ridley is in fact a playable character that Sakurai chose not to release yet (why? Why tease him if he's going to be playable? This is completely contradictory to the other newcomers we've seen, who were kept tightly under wraps until their announcement), or 2) Ridley, as a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, isn't technically 'ready' to be shown-- maybe his texture is wrong, or his animation is slightly stilted or something, but whatever the case, his shadow (clearly implying him) can be shown, if not his body.

1) Tease him because he's someone fans have been crying out for since Melee. If there's any potential addition to the SSB4 roster that would be huge and garner a ton of hype, it's Ridley. Given that, I can easily see Sakurai leading up to a grand reveal like this.

2) That would simply be the surface logic. You need such for this kind of teasing/trolling.

- it's worth noting that, though Ridley's shadow moves across the stage from side-to-side, the same as Pikachu did, Ridley's shadow is also shifted to the left from Pikachu's, clearly demonstrating that he's in the background of the stage. Watch carefully for the line along which Pikachu travels, and then the one for Ridley. They're noticeably not on the same vertical plane.

All I see clearly demonstrated is Ridley in the air. Besides, a stage boss' movement shouldn't just be in a straight line, should it? Especially one like Ridley, whom we've seen moving in much spectacular ways back in Brawl.

- But hey, we know that characters can be both playable in the foreground or cameo in the background, as Toon Link and Alfonzo demonstrate-- doesn't that principle mean that Ridley still has a shot? Theoretically, yes... But the difference between Ridley and Link here is that Link performs a very basic function. On the other hand Ridley is shown back-to-back with Yellow Devil in the NDD-- strongly implying practically directly stating that Ridley's role in the Pyrosphere is that he is to be a stage boss. Unlike a simple background character, this is much more complex behavior for a stand-in to replace. And who could they even get to be a stand-in for Ridley in terms of mimicking form and function? Therefore, the Alfonzo principle is an unlikely prospect.

I agree with this, but it's really on the same point as the first one.

EDIT - Another thing I forgot to mention is that Sakurai himself clearly has personal reservations about making Ridley playable. This was shown in an interview with him for Nintendo Power in which he stated that he thinks making Ridley playable would be 'probably impossible'. Regardless of the fact that he's made plenty of more outlandish characters work brilliantly (thus doing himself a huge disservice in spouting this bullshit), Sakurai's mind seems to be more or less made up at the time of this interview, and the evidence presented in the new game shows little indication that that has changed. No subspace-esque adventure mode and bosses results in the invention of the stage boss, of which Ridley is a perfect candidate in Sakurai's mind.

That's really old and vague. I think that would probably be impossible. If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it.

I think Ridley is worth their best efforts. I don't think he's guaranteed or anything, but I think there's reason enough to believe he still stands a pretty good chance. E3 will be the deciding factor.

I agree with the '5 max' thing, but as you pointed out... ...yeah, seven.

You remember that Brawl had six Pokemon, right? Sakurai doesn't care about making sure that some imaginary 5 character per franchise limit is followed.

Edit: source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/4598234/smash-bros-sakurai-discusses-the-pain-of-modern-game-development

Edited by shinpichu

I'm certain he will, no worries. Ridley not being playable is the biggest slap in the face that I think we can expect. =3=

Yes, God forbid they add someone who actually contributed to the series as a reasonably-interesting supporting character! The horror!

I'm not even a metroid fan and I felt betrayed

Yeah, I guess I'm just not a huge fan of Rosalina and it was my fault for being annoying. I apologize! Although, I still would have preferred someone more fighterish like Bowser Jr or Waluigi

"Life is nothing, it's a nothing, life is nothing but a slap to the face. Life is nothing, it's a nothing, life is nothing but a fat rat race."

Smash Bros is love, Smash Bros is life.

I don't want to have to play hundreds of matches to get a new character.

Geez.
People are so impatient. -.-
Nintendo choose to leak everything by Summer, but I'm not playing these till winter time and will do the match requirements for total surprise. I will be surprised from every new characters appearance. Going to play it blind.

I just realized that Waluigi is still an AT

no buy

Yeah...
I'm shocked that he didn't make it. -.-
Even though his chance was much higher than Rosalinas.

On the contrary, people are suspecting that shot of him in the direct confirms him as playable rather than stage boss (or both, but I doubt that) due to his animations and the troll-ish nature of it all. It's not really a surprise considering Ridley has been the most wanted character for a long time. It would make sense to find a way to add him in.

The games will be scolding hot if he's in it for me. :D

Vs matches is how I unlock every character. If you want to make it faster, just play 1 stock Brawl/smash 4 vs a friend and voila.

Yes.

That is how that I will do it!

Genesect is cool, like... REALLY cool, but I think we can file him away under the wishful thinking category. To my knowledge, he's not even that popular among the Pokemon fanbase, just the competitive crowd. I think in general your assessments of other characters' chances are just kind of too opinionated to be accurate (not to mention downright wrong in the case of the Ice Climbers o___o).

I agree with the '5 max' thing, but as you pointed out... ...yeah, seven. TBH I think Jigglypuff has the best chance of being our fifth Poke. Mewtwo is cool, but Jigglypuff is technically a more unique fighter than he is. Mewtwo had his time to shine, and I loved playing as him (he was my Melee main, in fact), but I'm okay settling him to rest. :0 His time is over, IMO. (Of course, I'll be perfectly happy if I'm wrong.)

I never said that it wasn't. That's just what I think.

...And Mewtwo should make it because of his Mega evolutions.

Edited by Barbie

I agree that Falco and Wolf need their own Final Smashes. Three Landmasters is just lazy, lazy, lazy. Especially since as Banryu said, Falco prefers the air. :P He IS a bird, after all.

As for Rosalina, I'm glad Sakurai picked her even though I would have preferred Daisy. She's cool, she brings new stuff to the table, and she played an important role in both SMG games and she's playable in Super Mario 3D World. Bowser Jr. wouldn't have been as fun to play as because he'd have a lot of similarities to Bowser. And Waluigi is hardly relevant to the series at all. He's just spinoff fodder. I don't even know why he's an assist trophy. Bowser Jr., Daisy, or Toad would have been better options for even that.

Edited by Anacybele

I agree that Falco and Wolf need their own Final Smashes. Three Landmasters is just lazy, lazy, lazy. Especially since as Banryu said, Falco prefers the air. :P He IS a bird, after all.

As for Rosalina, I'm glad Sakurai picked her even though I would have preferred Daisy. She's cool, she brings new stuff to the table, and she played an important role in both SMG games and she's playable in Super Mario 3D World. Bowser Jr. wouldn't have been as fun to play as because he'd have a lot of similarities to Bowser. And Waluigi is hardly relevant to the series at all. He's just spinoff fodder. I don't even know why he's an assist trophy. Bowser Jr., Daisy, or Toad would have been better options for even that.

You wouldn't be saying that if you've played Luigi's mansion games. -.-

Waluigi would make sense to make it taking Wario's spot if need be. But...with his Warioware games being absolute spin-offs, he shouldn't be cut. I'm guessing that's why Nintendo didn't want to make him playable because of Wario's higher worth.

Edited by Barbie

Huh? Waluigi isn't in either of the Luigi's Mansion games. And I have played and completed both.

Wario has two series, actually. Wario Land and WarioWare. Waluigi isn't in any games except Mario sports, party, and kart games. He's not relevant to the series at all.

Huh? Waluigi isn't in either of the Luigi's Mansion games. And I have played and completed both.

Wario has two series, actually. Wario Land and WarioWare. Waluigi isn't in any games except Mario sports, party, and kart games. He's not relevant to the series at all.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632930-luigis-mansion-dark-moon/64391678

He's actually in Dark Moon. But...if it was to drop Wario for him...he shouldn't make it as Wario has been in Mario Land games and having some absolute spin-off games that I absolutely love to pieces(Wario's Ware Inc. and Twisted)and have played till their scolding hot. But...other than being in Dark Moon...he otherwise is as you said.

Edited by Barbie

Well, NO USE debating this, guys! Waluigi isn't in!

He should have made it.

Luigi needs to have his sinister villain in like Wario has for Mario. Wario shouldn't be cut either if he was to have made it. But...since he didn't make it...it's going to greatly hurt the chance for others that we were suggesting earlier would make it.

Edited by Barbie

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632930-luigis-mansion-dark-moon/64391678

He's actually in Dark Moon. But...if it was to drop Wario for him...he shouldn't make it as Wario has been in Mario Land games and having some absolute spin-off games that I absolutely love to pieces(Wario's Ware Inc. and Twisted)and have played till their scolding hot. But...other than being in Dark Moon...he otherwise is as you said.

That link leads to a joke thread