SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Clones have always been more of a bonus than anything else. They get added as filler to enhance the character selection because they are so easy to make.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why people don't like clones if they think they take roster spots...but I think the whole idea of there being a set number of roster spots is faulty.

This. People need to realize that there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that Lucina's presence means someone with a more unique moveset didn't make it in as a result.

This indeed! I wish more people would realize this.

Edited by Dark Legend Vampire

They only use the "King Dedede Vs. Young Link, Pichu, Dr. Mario, Roy, FALCO, and GANONDORF" thing from Melee. Well, guess what. That's one time, we got two/three characters in Brawl from the clones, and admittedly, you know you love seeing Ganondorf choke the crap out of people.

Hehehehehehehehehe. Yeah, I saw that comic as well. Seems a more or less accurate depiction of events preceding the trailer lol

Little Mac is being the analog to Rick Wheeler in the infamous scene from the F-zero anime. I'm surprised that there are still some people who don't know of it lol it's a pretty notorious meme.

Edited by BANRYU

...well, it seems that the hostility and shouting (especially towards Chrom supporters and Gematsu believers) has died down enough, so I guess it's relatively safe to post in this thread again.

I have to say, I quite like what they did with Robin, with him being both a magic and sword user. It's really nice that they're representing the magical side of FE rather than solely representing the sword using side. I have to wonder how Robin works with his "limited tome use" mechanic and all the different levels of Fire, Thunder, and Wind spells he has.

As for Lucina, I'm not the biggest fan, mostly because of how similar she is to Marth and how she even shares the same idle animation. From what the trailer showed, even Roy was more unique from Marth than Lucina is. Quite a shame, especially since all the SSB4 newcomers as of now brought really unique mechanics or at least had a movement/attacking style that was really different from veteran characters that were already in Smash. Well, I guess we can't expect every newcomer to be insanely unique, even though Sakurai himself kept talking about character uniqueness during SSB4's development.

I know we'll be seeing more differences between Marth and Lucina in the future. But as of now, no tipper sweetspot and a shorter height don't really cut it for me in terms of uniqueness.

And yeah, I've been keeping up to date reading each and every post in this thread (and being really tempted to angrily reply to some of them) and I know that many SFers argue that not having clones doesn't necessarily make more room/resources for more characters (and I'm perfectly okay with certain clones in fighters, like Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter and Mario and Luigi in Smash). Still, I feel with the 4th game in the Smash Bros. series, new clones shouldn't be needed just to expand the roster since it's a good size as it is. Adding new clones to an already big character roster just seems unneccesary to me (especially since FE13 already has Robin representing the newest FE, and even Pokemon doesn't have multiple playable characters representing the newest game, unless you count SSB64 for whatever reason). That's just my thoughts.

All that aside, I have to wonder what Lucina's main drawback will be compared to Marth. I mean, having Lucina as an "easier to use Marth" seems quite cheap and it'll make her too easy to use compared to Marth. She must have some sort of tradeoff for having her sword be stronger (no matter what part hits) compared to Marth's non-tipped sword strikes. What do you guys think her main drawback compared to Marth will be? Being much lighter? Not having as much hitstun in her attacks?

Hehehehehehehehehe. Yeah, I saw that comic as well. Seems a more or less accurate depiction of events preceding the trailer lol

Little Mac is being the analog to Rick Wheeler in the infamous scene from the F-zero anime. I'm surprised that there are still some people who don't know of it lol it's a pretty notorious meme.

I've had people tell me that Fire Emblem characters are too anime for Smash, and I just link them to that video in response. You don't get much more anime than that.

Edited by Silent Letters

Guys! The new pic of the day explains Robin's swords and tomes (as I predicted yet again, haha). She/he activates the Levin Sword by using smash attacks, but like the tomes, it can only be used so many times. Robin goes back to the bronze sword when it breaks and it takes a little time for the Levin Sword to regenerate.

And about the tomes, they change with each press of the B button, it seems. That ain't gonna be easy to master. xP

Edited by Anacybele

533e6b0097.jpg

8e8fe79822.jpg

This is an interesting mechanic. The playstyle is almost literally strategizing each attack. I'd like to think Robin represents the weapon usage of FE, as oppose to the lords who have an unbreakable sword

Still loving the character hate.

Oh my gosh 2d characters, they're so bad.

They didn't make it in smash, they're a failure and a disgrace.

"Mewtwo got what he deserved in Brawl, I'm totally happy with it."

See how you just sound like a jerk?

For one thing, I've seen the Chrom jokes and "look at this loser, yeah!"

...but you can tell they're genuinely joking.

I find it funny you're legitimately serious.

...I actually wonder your age, honestly from the way you act in this thread.

I feel sad about this... not because Chrom isn't in smash...

But because I get the jokes... though it doesn't do it for me.

Awakening's "memorable phrases" to fans... is different for me since I played the Japanese version.

I am 21 thanks for asking, maybe you are the one acting childish here being a bit butthurt because your character didnt made it ._. Because what I said was my opinion and you havent been seen me laughing at people, replying/quoting every single Chrom fan and saying "Haha Chrom isnt at smash" I simply stated that Im happy that he didnt make it, because I had my reasons and my own likes/dislikes. Then you say "Mewtwo got what he deserved" only as an attempt to annoy me? Well its clear who is the child here.

----------

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS (I dont want to use the spoiler tag because it would be for like 1-2 sentences only, sorry)

About Ganondorf? I prefer he keeps his punch/kick style. I know he has been using a sword in some games (Mainly Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Demisde doesnt count really) and well considering Zelda and Link have TP design he is probably going to keep that one as well (Tho Young Ganon from Ocarina is coming as a skin with no doubts, its the most demanded Ganondorf design plus Ocarina of time 3DS is the last ganondorf seen if you dont count Ganon possesing Yuga)

They simply need to take away the Falcon´s clone thing, he has a lot of games, enough pressence to get a rework, its justified. We can always give his floating ability (Ocarina of Time) as a new Up B and the classic tennis of death (He should throw a magic ball somehow, its the most iconic Ganondorf move by far). The neutral B can stay tho, despite being similar to the Falcon Punch it is a reference to Ganondorf intro in Ocarina of Time, so Im fine with it. Plus a sword isnt much more needed, we already have tons of swordfighters, a random mii swordfighter and Shulk and Isaac are possible choices in the future, I think Ganondorf also keeps better at being a beast that punches/kicks hard.

Edited by Volug Vanguard

So from what it looks like, Lucina will be mostly like Marth, but assumedly with strength slightly nerfed to make up for increased speed and lack of tipper.

I'm fine with Ganondorf's punch/kick style although I have to admit seeing use that sword would be pretty cool, or magic too.

It seems Lucina unlike Marth doesnt suffer from that lag landing or slowness, Marth cant no longer due 2 aerials in a short hop (This is stated by what we saw in the tournament/feedback) and Lucina can do this, which would make Lucina "eventually" better than Marth, a similar case with Link-Young/Toon Link, having the second ones less strenght and range in the weapon but being faster and in the end considered better than the "original".

Of course this is merely a theory, we need to play to really test these things, besides the game may change mechancics and things in the end, but thats my initial guessing about who is better Marth vs Lucina.

If it is the case it would be funny xD, Lucina being "Roy" once again, now with boobs has got his revenge and has suprassed Marth from the Melee humilitiation.

Wow.

The whole weapon usage thing makes Robin look so cool and makes me want to hse him/her when I actually get the game.

Certainly making me like the thought of them in game opposed to my first impresions.

I'm very happy they already announced how some of Robin's mechanics work. Smashes activating the Levin sword is interesting. Can't wait to see how it plays. And he basically has smash aerials! Maybe his tomes are something like:

Up B wind magic

Side B fire magic

Neutral B thunder magic

Down B dark magic? (or maybe dark magic is a customization of another move).

Time for more speculation.

I am 21 thanks for asking, maybe you are the one acting childish here being a bit butthurt because your character didnt made it ._.

So, I would like you direct me to the part where I *WASN'T* glad that Lucina was in?

You *DO* know I'm one of the least invested people here in characters, right?

Just for your information, the thing I'm absolutely butthurt about in regards to smash is something you woudln't even give a damn about. It's called "Region locking".

I took a shot at your age due to your behavior in other posts, not just this.

Would you like me to quote them?

Then you say "Mewtwo got what he deserved" only as an attempt to annoy me? Well its clear who is the child here.

For the record, this was to illustrate in general how you sound rude and having a lack of courtesy for other people.

This is in no way any shape or form an attempt to "annoy" you.

"Haha Chrom isnt at smash" I simply stated that Im happy that he didnt make it, because I had my reasons and my own likes/dislikes.

-Chrom got what he deserved, Im totally happy with it.

That awfully sounds like trying to rub it in someone's face, instead of simple statement of "I don't like him."

"I don't like him, and I'm glad he didn't make it" is different from what you did.

Your example is an extreme one and is an attempt to justify your position despite apparently having an intense dislike for him. Calling him "generic" and Lucina being the obviously superior alternative than having him in when Lucina herself doesn't have her own unique moveset.

"Generic Blue-haired lord with a clone of Ike's moveset!"

"Generic Blue-haired lord with a clone of Marth's moveset!"

Because what I said was my opinion

"It's my opinion" doesn't excuse it from scrutiny.

I apologize for taking a shot at your age... however from someone else here in this thread has shown, age =/= maturity.

I *DO* admit it was childish to take a shot at your age.

Edited by shadowofchaos

but you also tend to openly mock people here

what excuses you from being a donges anyway

is it that you're not invested

what is it

other than being some kind of elitist prick

what excuses you from being a donges anyway

is it that you're not invested

what is it

other than being some kind of elitist prick

woah

hey, he's being fine

"Oooh! They're in smash!"

"Oh damn, they didn't get a unique moveset!"

"They're a clone! Booo!"

"Sakurai's lazy!"

And for some specific people in this thread:

"Fucking Sakurai, he didn't make my waifu unique!"

Or:

"They didn't give them enough homage to the series! What about *insignificant detail here*!?"

"Pay attention to my series!"

Give people an inch, and they take a mile.

In regards to what I was calling out, remember a few incidents when people keep stating "it's my opinion!" while being completely rude about things *other* people like?

Whatever the hell happened to courtesy here?

"I dislike character a, so I'm glad character b made it in."

Instead of "Yay character b made it in, and they're not unique, but they're way better than character a making it in because I dislike them. They got what they deserved."

Edited by shadowofchaos

SSB4_Little_Mac_Sweatsuit.jpg

Get ready to fight in Little Mac's Training Jacket and WBA Major Circuit clothes.

At this point, I don't care what other costumes the other characters may get, I'm totally rockin' Pink Jacket Little Mac.

So <3

Pantsless Marth is the greatest thing and if you think otherwise you're wrong ;P

We must have that for one of his costumes. :D

After playing a friend's Project M with a custom Skyward Sword Zelda with an orange Nayru's Love, I realize I need Skyward Sword Zelda in Smash 4. Make it happen, Sakurai (and please buff her)

Hyrule Warriors one, though would be a better spin off for a future released game.

Incidentally, we've seen the precedent of 'not-a-palette-swap' (by Ana's definition) as alternate colors for characters in Brawl before:

Nesspink-2.png

Ness needs to show up in one of the directs. -.-

I would go to a public tournament, but they don't hold any near me. I'd probably never be good enough to stand a chance in one anyway...

I never play for seriousness. Just have lots and lots of fun. ^-^

And it's not like Marth speaks that much, most of his lines are grunts and screams for his moves. I believe his only spoken lines are his taunts and winning quotes.

Isn't one of his lines "Hey everyone, look at me!"? That almost feels OOC for Marth.

4atd.jpg
*Giggle*
It would indeed be a true taunt if he wore no pants.

Honestly I think out of all the Lords in the series, Leif could have the most interesting moveset. The Light Brand would be enough justification to give him light based powers and some of the unique gameplay elements of Thracia could be translated in interesting ways. Some kind of Master Knight esque form could also be used for his final smash.

Sakurai intended to put him in at one point.

I hope they bring back some of the most ridiculous achievement messages.

gVNI9ih.png

lol

I approve of 'Murio and the imitation Light Suit costume, all these alt costumes are really awesome. I like the huge amount of them Sakurai seems to be pulling from everywhere

Also, on a side note:
IMG_20140710_174313_zpsqs4kxynr.jpg

3bd.gif
Whaaa...?
Star Wars...now...

ExQUOwv.png

This is what we know

:D

omg when was this?

640px-SSB4_-_Zelda_Screen-16.png

it's probably really old, but i keep missing the pic of the days I WANT to see. i see nothing in Link & Peach.

ld_badlink.png
Well...

JNnL0Iz.png

Dec. 23, 2013

Though, I guess it would make sense for her to be a heavyweight, as AllAroundGamer said, but yah.

Peachy.

omg. lucas has been cut. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Give him a chance, Sakurai. (assuming he's the one out of our Earthbound boys to be cut).

I hope Paula takes his spot otherwise.

The end of the trailer confused me, does that mean Chrom is in too? 5 FE reps? This is better than I imagined?!?!

5 reps surprised me too. This tells us that we certainly will get another FE game in the making.

YEAH. SUCK IT. LUCINA AND ROBIN. NOT CHROM.

WHAT WAS THAT?

SUCK IT, YOU WERE WRONG.

I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE THIS IS HOW EXCITED I WAS WATCHING THIS VIDEO. SUCK IT DOUBTERS. SUCK IT GEMATSU.

FUCK. YES!

(Sirius I'm pretty sure this is the most excited you'll ever see me)

lol

Up to page 489