SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Then I dove in with Marth at level 9. That ended on something like level 6.5 because I got wrecked by that final boss thing. I concluded that Marth is pretty rubbish against that thing.

I'm quite sure your Marth against Master Core problems were much more of a result of unfamiliarity with Master Core's attacks and how to dodge them. Also, if you weren't countering Master Core's attacks with Marth, then that's your own fault and not Marth's for doing badly against Master Core (though with it being your first time, I can't exactly hold that against you).

Also, if you fight Master Core with Little Mac, then you'll truly know the meaning of being rubbish against Master Core. Trust me, I did it yesterday and had to continue 2-3 times.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201410/09063110.html
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

Some neat little tidbits from an interview in famitsu as usual.

In his column in the latest Weekly Famitsu, Sakurai addressed the fan question, "How are characters selected to be in Smash Bros.]?"
"We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally." answered Sakurai. A rather straightforward answer. Of course, it's not like we expected anything along the lines of nighttime rituals with a ouija board. But there's more. Continued Sakurai, "We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience."

"There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"

As for who doesn't make the cut, Sakurai noted, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter."

In the end, as director, Sakurai has the final say on any character ideas that come across his desk. "Basically, any character is accepted if I believe it works [in the game]. On the other hand, even if a character is unique, if they overlap with other characters and aren't unique as a fighter, they are rejected." Sakurai wrote.

Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen.

Gyromite 2 confirmed.

Could have been the reason why we didn't get Isaac. Though I think any series has a future with the popularity boost it would get from being included in Smash.

Maybe that's why Lucina was included over Chrom, because she's popular to one extreme, and controversial with her popularity to the other.

screen-3.jpg

I like how his face is modeled.

So it's pretty much "Fans want _ and if they're good we put them in, if not, rinse and repeat or we go and find one with shock value."

Well, I do wonder how difficult it would have been to give Chrom the Lucina treatment. I mean, they do have a model for him anyway and Chrom has basically the same build as Ike. If nothing else, he is far closer to Ike then Lucina is to Marth.

Edited by BrightBow

Sakurai:

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.

At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Eh, well it was worth the spec. He states that Lucina is similar to Marth but different enough to net a slot for herself. He compares Chrom to just another sword-wielder.

So, I saw someone say earlier that they got 4 KOs in Cruel Smash by hanging on the edge and Aethering with Ike, but that isn't working for me. Am I doing something wrong?

• If Ike uses Aether six times without landing on a platform (i.e. by grabbing an edge after each Aether), he will not be able to grab an edge on the sixth use, and he will simply fall to his death if there are no platforms beneath him. This is to prevent Ike from stalling on an edge, and is important to know when using any technique involving Aether for Cruel Brawl.

from smashpedia

Dark Pit is beautiful and one of the best newcomers, and I don't even care if he's a clone.

Anyone who complains about KI "bias" can get over it, because that large swath of Trophies and Smash Run enemies won't be in the Wii U version. Just two regular characters and a clone, with the items and assists. Skyworld might not even come back (I hope dearly it does).

no thanks, i'll continue to hate dark pit's guts.

Edited by Cornet

Remember, Lucina wasn't planned to be her own character originally either. She got lucky, as Sakurai also stated. Only Robin was supposed to be a separate new character at first.

So, how does anyone get 200 KOs in Endless Smash? I got to 136, but I still miss a lot, get hit before I can hit back, and sometimes I suicide. I guess I'm not good enough for this challenge at the moment.

So, how does anyone get 200 KOs in Endless Smash? I got to 136, but I still miss a lot, get hit before I can hit back, and sometimes I suicide. I guess I'm not good enough for this challenge at the moment.

I Aether'd with Ike over and over again. Lots of characters have quick tilts that instantly kill that you can spam over and over again.

ana you have hammers for a reason

She only has three per board, if she used one for everything she asks about she'd be out by now.

I Aether'd with Ike over and over again. Lots of characters have quick tilts that instantly kill that you can spam over and over again.

I see. I guess I'll have to try that sometime!

She only has three per board, if she used one for everything she asks about she'd be out by now.

Yeah, not to mention I've only unlocked one for the third set.

I finally managed to get 50 over my rival in Rival Smash thanks to Donkey Kong. Endless's challenge still sucks, though. I got to 146 with Robin. If I could ever get off Nosferatu I might last longer.

At least Cruel Melee is easier this time. This time there are only three opponents at once. Up until now, there were six. Or at least they always went past the 4 player limit. Maybe this time it's possible to prevail without exploiting the AI at all. Of course back in Melee, I used "Rest" in order to get kills and at least that trick doesn't work anymore.

Edited by BrightBow

Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are on the site.

screen-3.jpg

Dark Pit looks amazing, and I don't give two if you don't like him, because I don't care.

Anything on the Wii-U looks amazing as the graphics are in HD and animate at 60 frames per second.

In his column in the latest Weekly Famitsu, Sakurai addressed the fan question, "How are characters selected to be in Smash Bros.]?"
"We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally." answered Sakurai. A rather straightforward answer. Of course, it's not like we expected anything along the lines of nighttime rituals with a ouija board. But there's more. Continued Sakurai, "We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience." "There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"
As for who doesn't make the cut, Sakurai noted, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter."
In the end, as director, Sakurai has the final say on any character ideas that come across his desk. "Basically, any character is accepted if I believe it works [in the game]. On the other hand, even if a character is unique, if they overlap with other characters and aren't unique as a fighter, they are rejected." Sakurai wrote.

This'll help in future smash games upon knowing who'll make it into the games.

Maybe that's why Lucina was included over Chrom, because she's popular to one extreme, and controversial with her popularity to the other.

Lucina wasn't included over Chrom.

Chrom was considered, but the Nihons votes won upon which they like Lucina more.

Eh, well it was worth the spec. He states that Lucina is similar to Marth but different enough to net a slot for herself. He compares Chrom to just another sword-wielder.

Sakurai:
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Lucina is no different from Chrom. She fights exactly the same as him which Sakurai ripped his animations and gave them to Lucina. Because of her existence is why that Marth sucks now!

• If Ike uses Aether six times without landing on a platform (i.e. by grabbing an edge after each Aether), he will not be able to grab an edge on the sixth use, and he will simply fall to his death if there are no platforms beneath him. This is to prevent Ike from stalling on an edge, and is important to know when using any technique involving Aether for Cruel Brawl.

from smashpedia

no thanks, i'll continue to hate dark pit's guts.

The backwash of Uprising outta be liked by some fans.

Dark Pit is beautiful and one of the best newcomers, and I don't even care if he's a clone.

Anyone who complains about KI "bias" can get over it, because that large swath of Trophies and Smash Run enemies won't be in the Wii U version. Just two regular characters and a clone, with the items and assists. Skyworld might not even come back (I hope dearly it does).

I like the character myself and that is specifically why I don't like the way ended up. It just irritates me that he gets his own slot since he plays differently because he shouldn't play differently.

He has identical attributes to Pit. There is no difference between them in Uprising other then that he can fly indefinitely for the majority of the game. So he would be more true to Uprising if he would only get a different palette and voice and therefore making him an alternate for Pit like the ones from Robin, Wii-Fit Trainer, Olimar and Bowser Jr. makes by far the most sense for him.

Also, he shots Darkness Bow arrows out of a Silver Bow for some reason. That's just weird.

Edited by BrightBow

Chrom was considered, but the Nihons votes won upon which they like Lucina more.

Lucina is no different from Chrom. She fights exactly the same as him which Sakurai ripped his animations and gave them to Lucina. Because of her existence is why that Marth sucks now!

Chrom wasn't shafted in favor of Lucina

He was considered, but ultimately rejected due to being too similar to Ike. If it wasn't for the fact that they had extra time, Lucina wouldn't even be a full character herself

And Lucina only has Marth's animations, how are you getting that hers are Chrom's? And how the hell does a clone made after the original make the original worse?

At least Cruel Melee is easier this time. This time there are only three opponents at once. Up until now, there were six. Or at least they always went past the 4 player limit. Maybe this time it's possible to prevail without exploiting the AI at all. Of course back in Melee, I used "Rest" in order to get kills and at least that trick doesn't work anymore.

What? I get four enemies at once in Cruel Smash. :/

Yeah, Cruel Smash gives you four enemies. Despite that, I'd say it's harder now because the AI is smarter.

Also, if anyone got in "over" Chrom, I think it's more likely Shulk than anyone else; adding two new mono-sword users wouldn't have been a great thing.

He was considered, but ultimately rejected due to being too similar to Ike. If it wasn't for the fact that they had extra time, Lucina wouldn't even be a full character herself

And Lucina only has Marth's animations, how are you getting that hers are Chrom's? And how the hell does a clone made after the original make the original worse?

*Giggle*

It's an assumption, really. I'm guessing that is how he did it upon the short amount of time that they had to develop the game since they didn't want us to wait too long and that a game can never develop past the deadline. Release day. It is actually unknown where her moves came from. It's either Marth, or the well planned, but rejected Chrom.

They made him worse to balance out difficulty for those who play the game. Like Lucina would be good for novice players and Marth would be good for intermediates or higher.

----

Oh, and Lucina got her own spot instead of being an alternate is due to the fact for battle records upon which he wanted Marth and Lucina to have their own separate records.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233268-sakurai-talks-lucina-s-inclusion-in-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-why-chrom-didn-t-make-the-cut

Sakurai:

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Yeah, Cruel Smash gives you four enemies. Despite that, I'd say it's harder now because the AI is smarter.

Also, if anyone got in "over" Chrom, I think it's more likely Shulk than anyone else; adding two new mono-sword users wouldn't have been a great thing.

...And that Shulk is nothing alike in fencing like the FE characters.

Edited by PuffPuff