SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Welp. That's pretty disappointing. I have to agree with the dislikes on this video, this was a pretty mean way to fuck with the fanbase, especially after the Shulk and Bowser Jr. leaks. :/

Edited by Anacybele

Have to admit, he tricked me. After I was skeptical of the legit leak of the roster in August (until we saw leaked footage of Shulk and Bowser Jr. in battle) and was proven wrong, I thought that this video was too convincing to be fake. I'm not even mad at the guy. This was downright impressive how he took absolutely everything into account.

Kinda makes me wonder if Nintendo was somehow involved in getting this guy to do this, because after seeing someone make a fake leak look this real there's going to be tons of skepticism surrounding any real leaks of either actual DLC or future Smash Bros. rosters until Nintendo officially announces things.

...Welp. That's pretty disappointing. I have to agree with the dislikes on this video, this was a pretty mean way to fuck with the fanbase, especially after the Shulk and Bowser Jr. leaks. :/

Look on the bright side, now you have solid proof that stuff like this can be faked.

Yeah, we just gotta be happy with the game as is. Especially someone like me, who already got the thing she wanted more than anything in it (RD Ike). I would just sound kind of greedy and ungrateful if I got all totally upset and whiny that the game lacks a few characters I wanted.

Dang it, I wanted my hands on an amiibo with poles connecting the disembodied parts. That would've been hilarious.

But daaaaaaang! Such effort to make it look legit and it worked.

Look on the bright side, now you have solid proof that stuff like this can be faked.

Actually, menus in general are easy to mess around with compared to match footage. Nobody would've had the time or thought to construct a Shulk or Bowser Jr. moveset from scratch for use in Brawl and make it not break the game.

Question, SF:

Aside from the pain-in-the-ass unlocking required for custom moves, is there a reason to not use them in the competitive scene?

I mean, none of them are really broken, and they give lower tier characters good boosts...

Not only that, but in the small setting of my college Smash club, I can't see it being a problem at all...

But "oh, they're broken" and "oh, they're not used in competitions" can only get you so far...

It's not "traditional," and Sakurai "wasted time and resources" developing them...

They make Smash something it "isn't supposed to be," and they "aren't supposed to be there."

If they were actually unbalanced, I'd say "sure, valid point," but none of the custom moves stick out to me as broken.

They just add to the game and would make competitive play better, imo.

Yet my club (or at least half of them) are so against it... for what seems to be no (valid) reason...

It just looks like - at least to me - that they're not familiar with them, so they want nobody to use them.

It's "too many moves to learn" or some other BS like that...

It makes me sad.

Sure, 8 customs for 49 characters (or 50 when we get Mewtwo) is a lot... 400 more moves to know...

But that's adding to a base of - what - 3 tilts, 3 smashes, 4 throws, 5 aerials, 5 specials, and a jab for EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER.

Which is 21 for every character.

Which is 1050.

So adding 400 is adding than 50% of that.

It's a sizable number, okay, but still...

That's not the fault of the game. It's the fault of the player.

"Smash is what it is because it's predictable."

"Customs are like items."

I could go on and on...

*siiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

I even went so far as to unlock all the customs, too...

Well, minus 16, but I'm working on those. Either way, 360/376 is good progress...

Question, SF:

Aside from the pain-in-the-ass unlocking required for custom moves, is there a reason to not use them in the competitive scene?

I mean, none of them are really broken, and they give lower tier characters good boosts...

Not only that, but in the small setting of my college Smash club, I can't see it being a problem at all...

[snip]

in a word, "no"

there are half-baked things like "oh let the meta develop more first" / "now isn't the time" / etc

which completely ignore the fact that NOW, while the meta is still young, is the ideal time to introduce them

the only reason I've seen given is that it means that match-up knowledge becomes more important than "real skill"

which even if that were a bad thing, is completely overestimating how much effort it would be; people underestimate how good our memories are

(see also: pokemon stats/movesets/etc)

EDIT:

re: unlocking shit - if people haven't heard of it there's the whole official custom moveset project going on, which should really help with that

Sure, 8 customs for 49 characters (or 50 when we get Mewtwo) is a lot... 400 more moves to know...

But that's adding to a base of - what - 3 tilts, 3 smashes, 4 throws, 5 aerials, 5 specials, and a jab for EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER.

Which is 21 for every character.

Which is 1050.

So adding 400 is adding than 50% of that.

It's a sizable number, okay, but still...

That's not the fault of the game. It's the fault of the player.

and this is all before mentioning various character-specific techs / strategies / etc

EDIT: and COMBOS how could I forget those

Edited by Euklyd

I don't think I've met a single person who is actually against using custom moves.

Same. I mean...really, some characters are just better with them. Plus, Palutena comes with hers like all ready to use anyway. Why not use them?