SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I think the deal with Luma's Up Smash being a OHKO is because normally Rosalina is supposed to hit with her Up Smash right after, thus altering the knockback and making it weaker overall. (Think Mii Brawler/Reverse Blazer OHKO on lightweights)

Except when you send Luma out alone to fight with B.

Even aside from that, knockback doesn't work like that in this game, and Luma's hit comes after Rosa's.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair, you do take increased knockback when charging a smash

it's still stupid

What really? That seems really stupid to me. I don't know about anyone else but I almost never hit with a fully charged smash. I just throw them out there using the C stick and charging them for only a frame or two. Hitting with a properly charged smash mostly requires very good prediction and a bit of luck. So not only is it hard to hit with a charged smash attack (for me anyway, if anyone has some tips feel free to share) but taking increased knockback just plain discourages charging. It should be the opposite the way I see it. We might as well go back to Smash 64 where you couldn't charge them at all.

I mean, you shouldn't be throwing out charged smashes randomly anyways

this just discourages bad play further...

if you're confident in your read then you should do it anyways

Ugh, god damn it, why can't I hear anything on my laptop anymore? Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I haven't heard any sound on it, so I can't hear the music in Jedi's video. :/ My speakers are on, volume turned up, and the video isn't muted.

The way I'm seeing it is it discourages trying to charge smash attacks. If you charge a smash attack and get hit, that's punishment. It'll teach you to be more careful about it. If you charge a smash attack and you get killed you're just going to be less likely to try it when other options are available.

I mean it generally doesn't matter because most people don't charge smash attacks when they're in vulnerable positions

But it's not supposed to be charged fully in teh first place. In competitive, charging was always a use to build the punishment.

Example: You Prefect Guard Ike's 1st Down Smash strike, you then have a good load of frames to charge up a Smash for damage and punishment, supplying pressure on your opponent.

Charging is always great for B8'ing. Charging a Side Smash while you opponent is trying to recover, opponent decided to Air Dodge or Counter right next to you thinking you'd miss, and then retaliate with a punish... But your still charging...

I mean, who doesn't do this?

It adds options and smart play. Some people use it to pass time until the opening they're waiting reveals. If you couldn't charge, then what would Megaman's Side Smash be like.

But it's not supposed to be charged fully in teh first place. In competitive, charging was always a use to build the punishment.

Example: You Prefect Guard Ike's 1st Down Smash strike, you then have a good load of frames to charge up a Smash for damage and punishment, supplying pressure on your opponent.

Charging is always great for B8'ing. Charging a Side Smash while you opponent is trying to recover, opponent decided to Air Dodge or Counter right next to you thinking you'd miss, and then retaliate with a punish... But your still charging...

I mean, who doesn't do this?

It adds options and smart play. Some people use it to pass time until the opening they're waiting reveals. If you couldn't charge, then what would Megaman's Side Smash be like.

How is any of this different than what I said? None of the scenarios you listed involve charging up moves randomly in a position where you're easily gonna get punished for 'em.

My second one actually.

yeah you're right, my bad

it's covered by the other part of my initial post

One of the most satisfying things to do when you break someones shield as Marth, is to fully charge a tippered Fsmash, nothing quite like that to say eff you I get your stock.

To me, your character becoming lighter when you charge a smash attack is just another example of risk vs reward; if you want to charge it, you can't whiff it or try to hold onto it for too long.

Now, seeing as this is basically the "Smash Bros. General" thread around here (and I don't think this warrants a full topic), but anybody else heard of/keeping up with the Chris Prangner situation?

He was a member of the Nintendo Treehouse who was featured on a podcast and proceeded to (pardon the pun) smash his non-disclosure agreement into a million itty bitty pieces and talk about a bunch of stuff. He was, of course, quickly fired, but because it's Nintendo gaming "journalists" are making a big deal about it.

But there's a couple specific things I find interesting (and are Smash-related):

First, Sakurai is so driven that he's usually an emotional train-wreck at work. Never been explicitly said, but due to some of Sakurai's own comments, a lot of us guessed as much.

But secondly, there was a story told that heavily implied that Smash Bros. balance changes were made at Sakurai's whim because of matches he lost.

...This could explain a lot.

One of the most satisfying things to do when you break someones shield as Marth, is to fully charge a tippered Fsmash, nothing quite like that to say eff you I get your stock.

I think its even funnier when you break a shield as they are trying to recover on the ledge and they fall to their death because of the shield stun.

To me, your character becoming lighter when you charge a smash attack is just another example of risk vs reward; if you want to charge it, you can't whiff it or try to hold onto it for too long.

Now, seeing as this is basically the "Smash Bros. General" thread around here (and I don't think this warrants a full topic), but anybody else heard of/keeping up with the Chris Prangner situation?

He was a member of the Nintendo Treehouse who was featured on a podcast and proceeded to (pardon the pun) smash his non-disclosure agreement into a million itty bitty pieces and talk about a bunch of stuff. He was, of course, quickly fired, but because it's Nintendo gaming "journalists" are making a big deal about it.

But there's a couple specific things I find interesting (and are Smash-related):

First, Sakurai is so driven that he's usually an emotional train-wreck at work. Never been explicitly said, but due to some of Sakurai's own comments, a lot of us guessed as much.

But secondly, there was a story told that heavily implied that Smash Bros. balance changes were made at Sakurai's whim because of matches he lost.

...This could explain a lot.

yeah, I've read about it

I listened to the podcast shortly after it went up and was surprised he was saying a lot of what he did, so it's not unexpected that he was fired but

I still feel pretty bad for the guy

Yeah, he kind of deserved to be fired. Especially since as a Xenoblade major fan, I felt kind of targeted by his rant. Not only that, but it smelled of whining about Xenoblade Chronicles X.

As long as nobody touches my Kirby <3. To this day, I still question Smash's lack of Bandana Dee or Yarn Kirby or something.

Although Woolly Yoshi vs Yarn Kirby means I'd pick WY.

I'm so fucking pissed right now.

I just lost on the third round of a tourney to a For Glory Link, who literally did nothing but roll all over the stage.

When I would chase him, he would spam arrows, and when I was ripe for the killing, forward smashes.

No strategy. Disgusting.

...I'm going to go cry now.

I'm so fucking pissed right now.

I just lost on the third round of a tourney to a For Glory Link, who literally did nothing but roll all over the stage.

When I would chase him, he would spam arrows, and when I was ripe for the killing, forward smashes.

No strategy. Disgusting.

...I'm going to go cry now.

welcome to my world. It's even worse with input lag as it gives them even more advantages because of it. Everything I want to do offline I can't do it online.

Edited by kingddd