SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

The whole "you can use pretty much any character and do well" doesn't apply though, when there's only about 25% of the cast that far outperforms the rest.

I think that's what they mean

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G3 saw things like Toon Link at 9th, Wii Fit at 25th, Robin at 33rd, Bowser Jr at a tie at 33rd as well (iirc) and Dedede at 49th (who beat M2K). Among others

There's still a developing meta game here, plus we got at least one more patch to go, many tournaments to go with tons of specialized mains going to it (such as EVO which will have Melee and Pokken as well).

it might've been off-stream; it's not coming up immediately with google

actually it makes sense it'd be offstream; it'd have been in round 2 pools

where's a video of that King Dedede?

I think it was off stream, but there are quite a few videos, look up

Big D, King Dedede. Theres some matches of him in minors and majors.

Bayonetta and Corrin are going to be featured in a special tournament this weekend in Japan. This suggests that they are both done so we could be getting them really soon!

Nairo is going to be at the tournament and no doubt will he be playing the new characters so we could get some impressions.

Tournament is at 5:15pm PST today.

I don't have a nico account and couldn't figure out what was even being said, but to anyone watching, how's Bayonetta? I'm really hoping she's good. Not too good though, or else the complaints will never end.

Neither Bayonnaise nor Corrin are on the playable roster.

I imagine they're saving it for after the tournament.

EDIT: NAIRO JUST WON A MATCH IN 28 SECONDS HOLYYYY HELL

EDIT EDIT: SAKURAI IS HERE

I think they're about to do a match with Corrin and Bayonetta before the finals of the tourney.

It's happening

Corrin enters the fight in dragon form via teleport circle
Umbra Clock Tower looks legal
Corrin dAir is multihit, very low knockback
Corrin fSmash really damn fast
Edited by Dotty

Seems like people are worried about Corrin's viability, but Bayonetta is broke. Witch Time is as good as it sounds.

That said, this is the initial meta for these characters so we'll have to see how they develop.

Honestly, Bayonetta looks Pay2Win. Why on EARTH did they make her that way except to fuel sales "because she's broken"?

I'm hoping after a couple of months she just flat-out gets banned.

And the thing is, what I thought would be her balancing factor (weight) isn't even an issue! She looks about middle-weight.

And as I expected, Corrin looks like a lame duck fighter.

Edited by The DanMan

Honestly, Bayonetta looks Pay2Win. Why on EARTH did they make her that way except to fuel sales "because she's broken"?

She's not fast enough to be on Sheik, ZSS or Pikachu's level by the looks of it, her start up is kinda eh too. She can combo like a mofo, but I doubt she's S tier. I think Mario would tear her to shreds too. But I could be wrong

Corrin looks fairly alright with some nice solid combos. Actually quite excited to play as them, plus a paralyzing projectile is nice.

Side note: after not being able to go to my tourneys in Spokane for quite a number of months, I got 17th out of 76 people, not too shabby, went Ike the entirety of it and managed to defeat some tough opponents, in particular a Cloud and a Pikachu.

Edited by Jedi

She's not fast enough to be on Sheik, ZSS or Pikachu's level by the looks of it, her start up is kinda eh too. She can combo like a mofo, but I doubt she's S tier. I think Mario would tear her to shreds too.

Corrin looks fairly alright with some nice solid combos

I still think Witch Time is cheap and disgusting; just don't spam it and you've got a massive opportunity to kill your opponent when you do use it.

I think the underlying issue is that the 3rd party DLC have underlying gimmicks that make them so different from every fighter and extremely powerful in their own right. Ryu is firmly at the top of the cast (where I'm expecting Bayonetta to join him), and Cloud is looking like he's high-tier.

To me, ideally everyone should feel like a mid-tier character; not the best, not the worst.

That said, Corrin's recovery got a massive buff since the direct, and that side-smash comes out pretty darn fast.

EDIT: But they decreased movement speed. *Sigh* I guess first part characters have to have obvious weaknesses.

I'll just post this from Smashboards:

"Slow run speed, mediocre air speed, bad throws, neutral b easy to deal with... "

I'm seeing people compare them to "Pit without his f-throw". Glad to see I kept my expectations low.

Edited by The DanMan

And the thing is, what I thought would be her balancing factor (weight) isn't even an issue! She looks about middle-weight.

The salt is strong with this one. Considering you'd rather see her banned than fixed, I have a feeling you take more issue with Bayonetta as a character rather than her within Smash! It's OK, we all have characters we dislike, but if we could ban things we didn't like, Horace wouldn't be here on SF!

The salt is strong with this one. Considering you'd rather see her banned than fixed, I have a feeling you take more issue with Bayonetta as a character rather than her within Smash! It's OK, we all have characters we dislike, but if we could ban things we didn't like, Horace wouldn't be here on SF!

It's not that I don't like her as a character, it's that I don't like characters being designed as "combo characters" when Smash isn't built around that. Thus they have an obvious advantage. I have similiar issues with Ryu.

I would rather see her fixed, yes, but there is no guarantee that we'll get any more patches after this. Though even then I was talking based on knee-jerk reactions.

It doesn't help that Corrin looks like shit.

Edited by The DanMan

It's not that I don't like her as a character, it's that I don't like characters being designed as "combo characters" when Smash isn't built around that. Thus they have an obvious advantage. I have similiar issues with Ryu.

Roy is a fairly combo based character, do you dislike that too? I mean most of his mileage in fights are off his combo game.

Edited by Jedi

I think you should reserve your own knee-jerk for when they're actually out. Back in the day, people though Toon Link would be top tier in Brawl and he turned out pretty middling!

I think you should reserve your own knee-jerk for when they're actually out. Back in the day, people though Toon Link would be top tier in Brawl and he turned out pretty middling!

Or the first year of Melee where people considered Zelda top 5.