SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

We only know that that one and Id (Purpose) from Awakening are in. But I sure hope that all of Brawl's FE tracks are in too. Especially Eternal Bond/Ike's Theme given that Ike is sticking around. And it's my favorite. :3

(and here's a little fun fact for y'all: I first heard Eternal Bond in Brawl, before I ever played FE!)

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to rectifie something I was wrong on multiple times in the thread.

In smash brothers melee. Sakurai wanted Leif, IS wanted Roy in instead.

In Brawl Sakurai wanted Roy but IS pushed Ike. He tried to put both in Roy unfortunately even with development didn't quite make it.

Really? considering Roy appeared in Melee before his own game he was just for promoting reasons. But in Brawl even tho Roy was in the data of the game, he was a simply clone (Once again) while Ike got a brand new moveset and even "tributes" Roy with Eruption.

Similar goes to Mewtwo, but he already had a brand new moveset in Melee and he just got eclipsed in popularity by Lucario, who made it into Brawl (Not being a clone to Mewtwo like many casual players think, and either Mewtwo wasnt a clone unlike Roy)

I hardly believe Sakurai wanted Roy back owo

The only character that I'm genuinely surprised did NOT make it into Brawl is Mewtwo. He wasn't a clone, he's pretty relevant to the Pokémon series, and he's popular. So yeah, no reason he shouldn't have made it in. And this is coming from someone that dislikes Mewtwo.

In fact, I expected him to make a comeback in SSB4, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. Unless Jigglypuff is kicked for him, maybe.

We only know that that one and Id (Purpose) from Awakening are in. But I sure hope that all of Brawl's FE tracks are in too. Especially Eternal Bond/Ike's Theme given that Ike is sticking around. And it's my favorite. :3

Lol yep just like Gamefreak

Other then ID Purpose and The Devoted I don't know what other tracks have been added to the fe set

Thx for fast reply :)

ID Purpose is fantastic!!! I hoped for that.

It would be cool, if more bossbattle themes are in SSB4.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

The only character that I'm genuinely surprised did NOT make it into Brawl is Mewtwo. He wasn't a clone, he's pretty relevant to the Pokémon series, and he's popular. So yeah, no reason he shouldn't have made it in. And this is coming from someone that dislikes Mewtwo.

In fact, I expected him to make a comeback in SSB4, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. Unless Jigglypuff is kicked for him, maybe.

Because Sakurai stated Pokemon roster in Smash is ONLY popularity. And by that time, Lucario eclipsed Mewtwo (Movies and metagame and bla bla bla bla shit). But Mewtwo was already in the game data.

And now Lucario kept his popularity (Megaform shit in the game and bla bla), still Mewtwo is now ahead in popularity, more movies and 2 megaforms and well he is ***** MEWTWO! The strongest pokemon ever xDDD.

In fact Im pretty sure he is coming back in this smash as well, and think that if Mewtwo and Purin (Puff) come back, this game will have the exact same number of pokemon Brawl had, so its not any crazy idea, specially considering the other potential popularity enemies (Keldeo and Zoroark) are already confirmed as pokeballs xD

Yeah, you've got a point there. I personally wanted Keldeo for playable because he's my favorite and he would be unique to play as because he's quadrupedal and can fly using his hoof water jets. :(

But I don't think Pokémon are chosen based on popularity alone. Greninja was chosen before X/Y even came out. Sakurai only picked him because he looked fitting for Smash and all. It's only coincidence that the stupid frog got popular. I never liked him though, and still don't. Not because he got in instead of Keldeo, I disliked him way before that. I just don't like his design or anything.

Really? considering Roy appeared in Melee before his own game he was just for promoting reasons. But in Brawl even tho Roy was in the data of the game, he was a simply clone (Once again) while Ike got a brand new moveset and even "tributes" Roy with Eruption.

Similar goes to Mewtwo, but he already had a brand new moveset in Melee and he just got eclipsed in popularity by Lucario, who made it into Brawl (Not being a clone to Mewtwo like many casual players think, and either Mewtwo wasnt a clone unlike Roy)

With Roy not being in Brawl, you can't say that he was "once again" a clone. That being said, everyone in melee who was a clone went through some changes to differentiate. If he were in the game, Roy wouldn't be an exact clone

Yeah, you've got a point there. I personally wanted Keldeo for playable because he's my favorite and he would be unique to play as because he's quadrupedal and can fly using his hoof water jets. :(

But I don't think Pokémon are chosen based on popularity alone. Greninja was chosen before X/Y even came out. Sakurai only picked him because he looked fitting for Smash and all. It's only coincidence that the stupid frog got popular. I never liked him though, and still don't. Not because he got in instead of Keldeo, I disliked him way before that. I just don't like his design or anything.

Not really. The thing is, Gamefreak contacted Sakurai at the beggining of the game, and they told him Greninja would be very suitable for smash, so he took the idea. What happened later? Fenekkin who was BY FAR the most favourite starter, got 2 horrible evolutions and the same goes for Chespin (Those 2 appear as pokeballs in smash) while Froakie who was the less original and likeable starter got Greninja evolution who was cool as *** for the world. Maybe not directly intentional, but you can easily see the 3 starters evolutions and everyone would know who was going to be the most popular from those 3, specially funny if you look at the starters without evolution like I told, they were the opposite in popularity. They may even planned everything from the beggining, but regardless if you look the 3 the only one who could make it is Greninja, and the one who got most signature moves was him as well. (Not to mention he is also the op one in the metagame).

With Roy not being in Brawl, you can't say that he was "once again" a clone. That being said, everyone in melee who was a clone went through some changes to differentiate. If he were in the game, Roy wouldn't be an exact clone

Because clones are kept as clones regardless the minor changes he did in Brawl. Ganondorf, Lucas and Toon Link are somewhat clones in Brawl and Falco at least got different jabs and tilts/smashes but similar anyways. The thing is Roy´s data are inside the game and he is Marth clone even in the final smash, while Mewtwo was original and retained his original unique moveset in Brawl data. So its pretty unlikely he would have given Roy a brand new moveset taking Ike away, whose unique moveset along "style" is totally superior in what Roy could be taking the character fight style and personality (Roy/Eliwood/Marth are mostly "the same", while Hector/Ike/Ephraim would be the different ones)

In fact this is one of the main reasons Sakurai when he announced the game, that he was finally going to take out all the clone movesets (Then Toon Link came back, bla bla I dont want to start an argue, but you have to agree he shares many traits with original Link despise different aerials or metagame, animation wise goes like that). And anyways Roy is still being kept in Ike´s neutral (and no sense whatsoever) special B, so I dont think he would come back

Edited by Volug Vanguard

I have to disagree that Fennekin's evolutions are horrible. Admittedly, I wanted the line to stay quadrupedal, but I still like Braixen and Delphox. They're a lot cooler than Frogadier and Greninja, imo. Chespin's evolutions DO suck though, I agree with that.

But if an X/Y Pokémon had to be playable, I hoped for Sylveon. >_>

I have to disagree that Fennekin's evolutions are horrible. Admittedly, I wanted the line to stay quadrupedal, but I still like Braixen and Delphox. They're a lot cooler than Frogadier and Greninja, imo. Chespin's evolutions DO suck though, I agree with that.

But if an X/Y Pokémon had to be playable, I hoped for Sylveon. >_>

Well I was speaking about "worldwide" popularity xDDD of course everyone has their own likes/dislikes, but as you said you (Me) and most people in the world were hoping Fenekkin to stay quadrupedal and not become another of those RANDOM bidepals they have been doing since always, specially when they are quadrupedal in the original form.

Sylveon was pretty much a Pokeball item in my opinion since the very beggining xD, he isnt even the most popular of Eevees form tho, but he was the new one and the new type , thats why he gets his spot as a pokeball I guess.

@Volug: http://m.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/45629/pokemon-x-and-y-starter-pokemon-who-will-you-choose/

The most popular was Chespin, followed by Fennekin, followed by Froakie. Note how Fennekin and Froakie don't have much of a gap between them, with Chespin being dominant.

Sylveon was heavily promoted during X/Y's development though. That's really all it had going for it, but it's a big thing. I had felt that the most likely candidates for an X/Y rep were Sylveon, Greninja, and Goodra, in that order. Of course, I was disappointed when Greninja was revealed though.

Well thats just 8094 votes xDDd pretty much slim considering the worldwide, but "regardless" the point is clear, Froakie was by far the worst claimed and then he became the most due Greninja.

If we consider that to be true anyways (Imnot saying you are lyeing or its wrong) and Chespin was the most popular, then the case is even more ironic xD, Chespin getting by far the worst final evolution and Froakie getting the best xDD (Popularity wise)

In the end the theory that Gamefreak conspired for all this makes sense (?) They wanted Greninja at smash and deliberetaly made the other starters get worse in the evolutions and made Greninja badass and the best competitive wise xDDD

Not really. The thing is, Gamefreak contacted Sakurai at the beggining of the game, and they told him Greninja would be very suitable for smash, so he took the idea. What happened later? Fenekkin who was BY FAR the most favourite starter, got 2 horrible evolutions and the same goes for Chespin (Those 2 appear as pokeballs in smash) while Froakie who was the less original and likeable starter got Greninja evolution who was cool as *** for the world. Maybe not directly intentional, but you can easily see the 3 starters evolutions and everyone would know who was going to be the most popular from those 3, specially funny if you look at the starters without evolution like I told, they were the opposite in popularity. They may even planned everything from the beggining, but regardless if you look the 3 the only one who could make it is Greninja, and the one who got most signature moves was him as well. (Not to mention he is also the op one in the metagame).

Because clones are kept as clones regardless the minor changes he did in Brawl. Ganondorf, Lucas and Toon Link are somewhat clones in Brawl and Falco at least got different jabs and tilts/smashes but similar anyways. The thing is Roy´s data are inside the game and he is Marth clone even in the final smash, while Mewtwo was original and retained his original unique moveset in Brawl data. So its pretty unlikely he would have given Roy a brand new moveset taking Ike away, whose unique moveset along "style" is totally superior in what Roy could be taking the character fight style and personality (Roy/Eliwood/Marth are mostly "the same", while Hector/Ike/Ephraim would be the different ones)

In fact this is one of the main reasons Sakurai when he announced the game, that he was finally going to take out all the clone movesets (Then Toon Link came back, bla bla I dont want to start an argue, but you have to agree he shares many traits with original Link despise different aerials or metagame, animation wise goes like that). And anyways Roy is still being kept in Ike´s neutral (and no sense whatsoever) special B, so I dont think he would come back

Can you by chance, prove that claim?

Also, reworking on Roy wouldn't do anything to harm Ike's inclusion at all. He wouldn't have had a complete overhaul, but it'd be enough to separate himself from Marth. Other than being from the same series and wielding a sword, Roy and Ike are far too different to be given such a comparison. I don't see where this correlation of yours is coming from, other than how Ike's Eruption is similar in execution and effect as Roy's Flare Blade.

This makes me sad

Also, my friend describes the difference between melee and brawl as "One's a fighting game, and the other's a party game." I thought this seemed pretty accurate. What about everyone else?

You seem to underestimate how popular Roy is in Japan. He not only was popular due to melee he also won the fe6 popularity contest.

Add on the fact that Sakurai absolutely hates taking out characters because they all have fans.

But is Roy more popular overall as a Smash character than Ike or Marth? I doubt it considering Ike's uniqueness and Marth being loved pretty much everywhere. Japan's FE fandom doesn't like Ike much, but besides that, Ike seems to be pretty damn popular in his own right, as both a Smash and FE character. Same with Marth.

It might seem like Roy is the preferred character over them, but I think it's just the Roy fanboys are being more vocal because of being butthurt over his absence from Brawl and low chances of returning in SSB4.

But is Roy more popular overall as a Smash character than Ike or Marth? I doubt it considering Ike's uniqueness and Marth being loved pretty much everywhere. Japan's FE fandom doesn't like Ike much, but besides that, Ike seems to be pretty damn popular in his own right, as both a Smash and FE character. Same with Marth.

It might seem like Roy is the preferred character over them, but I think it's just the Roy fanboys are being more vocal because of being butthurt over his absence from Brawl and low chances of returning in SSB4.

Japan polls after brawl came out said the perfect roster in their eyes was simply Brawls + Roy and Mewtwo. I'm not gonna compare between Marth and Ike. I honestly couldn't tell you.

I like all 3 and use all 3. I may be a Roy fanboy but I'm not exactly butthurt about his lack of showing in Brawl. What I'm more annoyed with is people constantly getting the details wrong and rubbing it in my. And not to mention others faces that he isn't there anymore

Well, on the Facebook posts relating to Ike and his reveal, I got annoyed at now many people were whining about Roy and shouting "Roy's our boy!" and crap. At least this was only on Facebook though. Ike got a much warmer welcome back everywhere else. I still wonder though, how many of those Roy fanboys actually played FE6? Or decided to give Ike a chance in Brawl?

And I also got annoyed when people would get the details wrong on Roy having been cut and Ike's chances of coming back. Some of them even rubbed it in my face too. So I know how you feel there, believe me.

Edited by Anacybele

You get all kinds of fans. Fe is just a sourpoint in Smash Fans minds. Because of the preferences and the whole unsure details thing.

Yeah, you're right about that. But at least we probably won't have to worry about Ike anymore. He'll soon have two Smash games in his resume, so he'll probably be in the roster from now on. Especially since he's also getting ANOTHER game appearance thanks to SMT x FE. He and Marth already had the most game appearances of any major FE character anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

Well Tingle is also high popular in Japan and even has a game of its own, while everybody hates it in the west side xDDD. Jigglypuff was in Smash 64 because he was the most popular pokemon in Japan back those days, I see your point but if Roy isnt back is clearly because he was just for promoting issues of his own game, which came later than Melee. Plus he was also chosen along Marth to promote the series in the west side, and I certianly like it, because if it wasnt for Roy I wouldnt have played any Fire Emblem game till Brawl gave me Ike, but I found Roy extremely cool (A freaking boy with a FLAME SWORD who yells crazy? Go get it) and so I started playing the series, because Marth wasnt "remarkable" at all to me. Regardless Roy popularity isnt that high in the west side and he is only remembered for Melee rather than his own game, considering it never left Japan. FE13 brought him back with a cool better design than others who got redesigned in FE13 and looked horrible, but still he is more remembered for being in Melee than in his own series in my opinion.

And about the Melee/Brawl thing? Well, Melee was clearly designed for competitive players, stated many times and proved long enough, with all those ATs and limitless potential, while Brawl was clearly and stated by Sakurai, a game made for more casual players. I guess thats what your friends is referring to and he is actually right, but Brawl is still a fun game to play, a fighting game nad I enjoyed it, tho its impossible to deny that Melee was way better in the competitive mechanics and scene (And it doesnt have a stupid character with infinite priority, impossible to edgeguard/gimp/punish, recovery impossible to counter and spammeable 0 frame attacks named MK xDDD).

You know, I found Japan's love of girly guys weird enough, but I found their love for Tingle to be even weirder than that. Tingle is the single most creepy and ANNOYING character in the Zelda series, imo. The only game I could tolerate him in was The Minish Cap and that's because he and his brothers give you access to the awesome Magical Boomerang and don't ask for you to empty your friggin wallet or do a stupid dance. xP

He wasn't that bad in Four Swords Adventures, but there he can take all those precious Force Gems and then taunt you. >.>

So believe me, I'm glad he's merely an assist trophy in Smash and not playable. NEVER forget how much the west hates this little fucker, Sakurai. xP