SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Now, I imagine, if Shulk goes in as playable, will Xenoblade get a stage? Bionis' Leg? Satohrl Marsh? Eryth Sea with platforms? Makna Forest? Holy shit so many possible stages and its music is top tier :O

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I imagine, if Shulk goes in as playable, will Xenoblade get a stage? Bionis' Leg? Satohrl Marsh? Eryth Sea with platforms? Makna Forest? Holy shit so many possible stages and its music is top tier :O

Sword Valley, maybe? Even Colony 9 could make a great stage.

Though either Bionis Leg or Satorl Marsh (especially if it is, or at least has, the night version, complete with music) would probably be my favorites.

As for music, for those that haven't played the game, here's a few samples:

And a playlist of the whole soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04001C6F57856FCA

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Xenoblade music? "You Will Know Our Names" is an absolute must.

[spoiler=An absolute must]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

[spoiler=Confrontation with the enemy is epic and full of nostalgia, though]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAW4xlbyu28

[spoiler=and One who gets in our way is awesome]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7XVMNNZI8

Gaur Plains is also simply gorgeous 83

Edited by Quintessence

Oh, now I'm wishing Shulk gets in. I had little interest in him like a week ago, but this thread made me look up the Xenoblade page and some gameplay videos, and now Shulk sounds awesome.

Oh, now I'm wishing Shulk gets in. I had little interest in him like a week ago, but this thread made me look up the Xenoblade page and some gameplay videos, and now Shulk sounds awesome.

Shulk would indeed be awesome. I'm still not done the game yet, but I've had so much fun with it and I think Shulk would be a unique and excellent fighter representing Nintendo's recent games.

daily.jpg?date=1403247202281

Pic of the day. Here's Donkey Kong's third standard special attack, Storm Punch!! Thanks to the customization options, each fighter is stocked with 12 different special moves. The number of attacks is pretty appalling.

How is it "appalling"? Having twelve different special moves to choose from sounds a decent number to choose from to me.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Oh that is cool. I wonder if every character has at least one special that at least is a decent ranged attack, like that right there by the looks of it.

Hopefully we get to see a lot more moves in future pics. It seems like something they could do a lot of that I could still find interesting. Obviously they can't do something as awesome as new characters everyday, but knowing moves is good enough for me.

Sakurai probably originally said "appealing" but the translator mistranslated his Japanese. The two words are similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar in Japanese too.

That's what I'm guessing, anyway. That attack right there though, seems to put Link's Gale Boomerang to shame. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Sakurai probably originally said "appealing" but the translator mistranslated his Japanese. The two words are similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar in Japanese too.

they aren't

that's like saying poison/poisson in french are similar in terms of translation because they sound similar

in english, that's poison, and fish, respectively.

languages don't work like that :V

Edited by I have opinions

Appeal = miryoko (魅力)

Appalling = daisoreta (大それた)

They aren't alike at all. But 大それた can be interpreted along the lines of "outrageous", which I think it probably the translator's intent. It's one of those funny figure of speeches in that you should recoil in shock at the large number of options in front of you.

Ana, please, don't make assumptions or blanket statements. This is not a personal attack, I'm just saying you'll make people mad at you if you make an uninformed statement and then get defensive when your mistakes are pointed out.
Edit: the word used by Sakurai in Japanese is "恐ろしい (osoroshii)" actually. Which translates as "terrible". Contextually he means "look at this terrifying number of options!"
Edited by Samias

"恐ろしい (osoroshii)" actually. Which translates as "terrible". Contextually he means "look at this terrifying number of options!"

Japanese is context heavy.

As a few people in this thread know.

It's absolutely painful sometimes to figure it out if you're not a native.

ああ恐ろしい。 |D

Japanese is context heavy.

As a few people in this thread know.

It's absolutely painful sometimes to figure it out if you're not a native.

ああ恐ろしい。 |D

Well, I am no expert on Japanese or translation, I just have a slight interest in linguistics and also a really good Japanese dictionary and kanji reading assistance. Without the tools I have on hand, my Japanese is pretty poor since I can only read JLPT5 level kanji and a few of level 4. Japanese is particularly difficult since kanji has multiple readings based on context too.

That said, today's Smash Bros post is pretty easy to figure out on the Japanese Miiverse since there is a ton of katakana and English loan words. Sakurai's figure of speech is very similar to ones we use in English.