Do you feel that the dialogue benefits from those voice acted noises?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Well, does it?

• The dialogue benefits from it.
    • The dialouge doesn't benefit from it.
    • It could benefit. But the excecution in Awakening is lacking.

Personally I don't think so. So I am curious what others feel about it.

In my case, it kept distracting me from the actual dialogue. It was a huge bother.

Eventually I just turn voices off. Afterwards I found that the text was way easier to read.

I guess that sending grunts along with the text can get a bit emotion across. Kinda like they do in the 3D Zeldas.

But Awakening will sometimes use an entire line (that doesn't match anything in the actual text.). When that happens, it always throws me off balance.

Plus, I don't think that having every line preceded by a grunt is a good idea either.

It should probably be reserved for lines that need the additional emphasis.

Well, at least I would guess that. The game has of course no "use grunts but not entire lines" setting.

Edit:

I updated this topic with a poll. Or at least I hope I did, since this is my first time making one. Alright, it seems to be working fine.

I figured that it might be a good idea for this topic since you probably can't argue much about taste.

Edited by BrightBow

If they can get better spoken lines, or actually use voice clips that fit the scene, sure. Hearing Basilio's "HELL NOOO" during a dead serious scene kind of kills the mood, for example.

I like them for the most part since they seem to give more life to characters; voices make them a little more real to me compared to other games in the series. However, sometimes the grunts are unfitting and annoying, making me wish the dialogue was fully voiced (with an option to turn off voices for those who prefer mute). I really do hope that this was a step in the right direction towards having fully voiced games in the future outside of cutscenes.

It's the first and only thing I toggle in options back in Premonition. Fuck that shit. There's nothing more annoying to me than hearing Chrom's voice and it doesnt match whatever-the-suck he was saying.

I figure if they went to the trouble of getting voice actors, they might as well have just done actual voice acting. It's not bad, I just don't get why you'd audition and hire voice actors just to have them record five lines.

I figure if they went to the trouble of getting voice actors, they might as well have just done actual voice acting. It's not bad, I just don't get why you'd audition and hire voice actors just to have them record five lines.

One problem:

MU's name.

They went the whole Persona route. I mean sometimes that had full voice acting, but only because they could use "SENPAI".

Obvious Solution: Record voices for each name option. Only give a select few options, program the game so that when you select an option, the voice says the corresponding name. Profit?

EDIT: The Avatar sucks at representing the player mostly anyway. So I wouldnt have minded losing the whole typing a custom name.

Edited by Peekayell

They should done it like SRW to be honest >_>

Only give Voice Acting on crucial lines where they said the full line itself

It feels.... more "dramatic" that way

This include pair ups as well

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

For the most part. Hearing the grunts allows me to read the dialogue in the character's voice better.

Agreed. I thought it was awkward at first, but I got used to it. I would have liked more voice acting as opposed to less, seeing as we're in an era of gaming where it's very doable and can contribute a lot to the game. I would have liked it if some of the more important scenes were entirely voiced, similar to how the Tales series does it.

EDIT: The Avatar sucks at representing the player mostly anyway. So I wouldnt have minded losing the whole typing a custom name.

You wouldn't have... I'm betting a lot of people with their waifus would have though.

The snippet voices are perfectly fine with me, to be honest. They usually go with what the characters are saying anyway.

Most of the time...

And it's a neat compromise! Instead of having fully voiced everything (which would have cost a ton of money given the volume of text supports contain regardless of how repetitive the generic supports are) they opted to go with partial voice clips that could be reused.

I like them, but occasionally someone will say something that doesn't fit and it ends up bugging me. The prime example of this is Cherche's "poor you!".

I thought I would hate it, but it grew on me. The only times it doesn't work is when they scream full lines ("Don't mess with a bunny" was only funny the first time) but this is only a problem with a few characters. Miriel is probably the best example of how it should work since I can't think of her saying a line longer than "Why thank you" or one that doesn't fit the text.

I wouldn't mind if they took them out during dialogue but I hope they keep voices in in-battle.