Characters that you think get an unfair amount of hate and why.

FrostyFireMage

Are there any characters from any work of fiction that you think get a huge amount of flak without actually deserving most of it?

One character that I think gets too much crap flung at her is Shirley from Tales of Legendia. Sure, she might be a distressed damsel for most of the first half of the game, but her descent into villainy and subsequent redemption and character development makes her a pretty interesting character. She's far more interesting than the more popular Chloe IMO, whose character motivation is the tired "a bad man killed my parents, now I must seek revenge!" cliche.

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

Aquaman.

Because of that f****ing show.

The king of Altlantis, among the 5 characters to live through the 50s during the in-between phase from golden to silver ages and the guy who's basically a slightly toned down superman with magic+psychic abilities.

The same guy whose baby son gets killed by his archenemy.

The same guy who is responsible for 70% of the earth.

Fuck superfriends for not giving him the credit he deserves. Shit, many of his "super family" get killed off for shitty reason. [Tula, Neptune Perkins.]

Not to mention what happens in Blackest Night.

Now can we stop glorifying Batman?

please.

ok ok, the Green Lantern movie wasn't too good and the Superman movies were kinda aimed at kids. [Dunno about the new one]. The Flash TV show was too short.

where are Jonn Jonzz and Plastic Man too?

Are there any characters from any work of fiction that you think get a huge amount of flak without actually deserving most of it?

One character that I think gets too much crap flung at her is Shirley from Tales of Legendia. Sure, she might be a distressed damsel for most of the first half of the game, but her descent into villainy and subsequent redemption and character development makes her a pretty interesting character. She's far more interesting than the more popular Chloe IMO, whose character motivation is the tired "a bad man killed my parents, now I must seek revenge!" cliche.

I understand what you're saying here, but I still have to disagree, simply because throwing a world ending temper tantrum just because Senel doesn't like her that way is enough for me to think bad of her character, redemption or otherwise. Not to mention her voice is one of the worst things I have ever heard in a Tales game to date... >_<

I understand what you're saying here, but I still have to disagree, simply because throwing a world ending temper tantrum just because Senel doesn't like her that way is enough for me to think bad of her character, redemption or otherwise. Not to mention her voice is one of the worst things I have ever heard in a Tales game to date... >_<

I do agree that her voice is annoying, but it was really Fenimore's death that pushed her over the edge.

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

Thor, mainly from the part of the Loki fandom that doesn't intersect with the Thor fandom who likes to mischaracterise him as this stupid brute who only eats poptarts and is also abusive towards Loki. None of that is true, and it's especially weird considering they love Loki but hate the one that loves him the most. Thor's a bigger Loki fangirl than all his fangirls combined.

People (a number of Marvel fans, not the actual writers) characterise him as unintelligent just because he didn't get a reference in the Avengers movie when he's spent time in modern day earth for about 3 days (cap too in regards to his knowledge of electricity, which is unfair to him too, he just woke up from being a popsicle for god sakes), or they just stereotype him as such because he's a big muscular viking who enjoys hitting things with his hammer and isn't Tony Stark. There's so many instances to counter those claims it's ridiculous.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Eliwood because people hated that he has bad bases and that led to people giving him a rough time in general and that led to even IS treating him like a nobody even though he's the main character of the first localized Fire Emblem.

I think people need to stop hating on Bella from Twilight, Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars, and any given Chris Tucker character. They're not really bad, just misunderstood. *snicker*

Seriously though, I'd have to say Navi from Ocarina of Time. While she is annoying during your 20th run of the game (where you already know what to do and where to go), I imagine you appreciated her help now and then on your first play-through.

I also don't get why Tails from the Sonic games gets as much flak as he does. I haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic Heroes, so they may have changed him up since then. I don't remember him being that annoying though. He was actually pretty useful in Sonic & Tails because he was unkillable and could be used to "cheat" your way through some boss fights if you wanted. Plus killing him over and over again was hilarious.

Aquaman.

Because of that f****ing show.

The king of Altlantis, among the 5 characters to live through the 50s during the in-between phase from golden to silver ages and the guy who's basically a slightly toned down superman with magic+psychic abilities.

The same guy whose baby son gets killed by his archenemy.

The same guy who is responsible for 70% of the earth.

Fuck superfriends for not giving him the credit he deserves. Shit, many of his "super family" get killed off for shitty reason. [Tula, Neptune Perkins.]

Not to mention what happens in Blackest Night.

Now can we stop glorifying Batman?

please.

ok ok, the Green Lantern movie wasn't too good and the Superman movies were kinda aimed at kids. [Dunno about the new one]. The Flash TV show was too short.

where are Jonn Jonzz and Plastic Man too?

Aquaman is OP in Injustice too

Also, Hope Estheim... because he's 14, just saw his mom die, then became a pariah in less than a day. Of course he's pissed.......

Eliwood because people hated that he has bad bases and that led to people giving him a rough time in general and that led to even IS treating him like a nobody even though he's the main character of the first localized Fire Emblem.

Same for Roy.He's actually a pretty nice character, if somewhat naive, and his opposition with zephiel was interresting, but due to his shitty stats, nobody like him...

Ikara Shinji from NGE, really, he's just a kid, and an emo, and he does have a messed up childhood with a wacko dad...poor kid...

I approve this 100%. I would like to see you on his place... Besides, everyone is completely messed up on this show anyway.

Edited by TendaSlime

INjustice is one of the reasons I hope to get a wii u.

Too bad Plastic Man isn't in it.

Thor, mainly from the part of the Loki fandom that doesn't intersect with the Thor fandom who likes to mischaracterise him as this stupid brute who only eats poptarts and is also abusive towards Loki. None of that is true, and it's especially weird considering they love Loki but hate the one that loves him the most. Thor's a bigger Loki fangirl than all his fangirls combined.

People (a number of Marvel fans, not the actual writers) characterise him as unintelligent just because he didn't get a reference in the Avengers movie when he's spent time in modern day earth for about 3 days (cap too in regards to his knowledge of electricity, which is unfair to him too, he just woke up from being a popsicle for god sakes), or they just stereotype him as such because he's a big muscular viking who enjoys hitting things with his hammer and isn't Tony Stark. There's so many instances to counter those claims it's ridiculous.

wat.

Thor unintelligent.

No No No No.

I thought Thor was supposed to be a good strategist and leader.

To be honest, what we need is a Defenders Movies with Valkyrie as a lead.

Sumia. Thanks to those fangirls who want Chrom's 'Falchion' in their unmentionables and the localization team housewaifu-ing her supports with Chrom she gets hate.

Tharja- Now I don't like Yandere's but she was a lot nicer in the Japanese version. (I think.)

Thor unintelligent.

No No No No.

I thought Thor was supposed to be a good strategist and leader.

To be honest, what we need is a Defenders Movies with Valkyrie as a lead.

He is a great strategist and leader, but a lot of people think he's stupid just because he really likes hitting things with a hammer. It's stereotyping at it's finest and ignoring his actual character.

And considering Don Blake isn't a real person but rather a persona created by Odin for Thor and they share each other's knowledge, Thor kinda has a M.D. too even if you don't consider his tactical knowledge for some reasons. He's used his medical knowledge while in Thor form and he noted that he only needs the Don Blake form for surgeries because his fingers are too big as Thor.

Some fans are just really bad at understanding character.

And yes yes yes A+

Edited by Thor Odinson

Also, Hope Estheim... because he's 14, just saw his mom die, then became a pariah in less than a day. Of course he's pissed.......

This.

I'd like to mention Sakura from Naruto. It's getting ridiculous when half the fanbase as far as I've seen hate her. She isn't weak or useless (anymore, at least) just because she heals. I understand why people still think she's annoying, but useless? Come on. The people complaining about her new powers say it's just an asspull, yet they turn around and praise Sasuke whose arsenal is made up of "asspull" powers.

Sumia. Thanks to those fangirls who want Chrom's 'Falchion' in their unmentionables and the localization team housewaifu-ing her supports with Chrom she gets hate.

Tharja- Now I don't like Yandere's but she was a lot nicer in the Japanese version. (I think.)

I agree with this. The hate pretty much snowballed and became the cool thing to do. Sumia's hate is pretty unreasonable, and Tharja's too to some extent.

He is a great strategist and leader, but a lot of people think he's stupid just because he really likes hitting things with a hammer. It's stereotyping at it's finest and ignoring his actual character.

And considering Don Blake isn't a real person but rather a persona created by Odin for Thor and they share each other's knowledge, Thor kinda has a M.D. too even if you don't consider his tactical knowledge for some reasons. He's used his medical knowledge while in Thor form and he noted that he only needs the Don Blake form for surgeries because his fingers are too big as Thor.

Some fans are just really bad at understanding character.

And yes yes yes A+

I find the storyline about Asgardians turning into humans and living amongst them unaware of their power to be a really dumb idea.

I mean DC just did that with the New Gods.

Don Blake in particular is pretty much dead as far as 616 goes, at least. End of volume 1 was a bit confusing (also bad art distracts me from the writing too) so I was kinda confused to what went on there exactly, and at least they didn't go into detail in volume 3/post-ragnarok about it. Thor just summoned them forth and shit (except the whole thing with Loki and Sif) so at least they didn't really have mortal thing for long.

Any jeigan from any FE game ever

Dagda, Arran, and Jagen being the most notable.

The first mainly for gameplay reason

The second and third mainly because of their solid characterization, and Jagen's legendary speech. I don't think there are any moments in FE that is more epic than FE3/12 chapter 3

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

I find the storyline about Asgardians turning into humans and living amongst them unaware of their power to be a really dumb idea.

I mean DC just did that with the New Gods.

Just curious, is this a new plot or is it pretty old?

There was also that movie with Will Smith in it. I wonder if they took it from The Chronicles of Amber, or this kind of plot came earlier still.

The current marvel has the norse gods as norse gods with their norsegodlypowers. They kinda live 8 ft floating above Oklahoma though.

Had to do with Ragnarok and Asgard being destroyed at the end of volume 2 so Thor just recreated Asgard somewhere convenient for him.

Ikari Shinji from NGE, really, he's just a kid, and an emo, and he does have a messed up childhood with a wacko dad...poor kid...

Though I agree that Shinji had one messed up life, he does deserve the hate he gets. It's not like people weren't there for him, he just wouldn't get over his trivial emotions, take his head out of his ass and man up. Though let's be honest, just about every character in Eva is messed up in their own way, but hey that's what makes it so great.

This.I'd like to mention Sakura from Naruto. It's getting ridiculous when half the fanbase as far as I've seen hate her. She isn't weak or useless (anymore, at least) just because she heals. I understand why people still think she's annoying, but useless? Come on. The people complaining about her new powers say it's just an asspull, yet they turn around and praise Sasuke whose arsenal is made up of "asspull" powers.

Well to be fair we do see Sasuke obtain his powers onscreen(even if they are asspulls). Not once in the anime/manga did Sakura receive any of her power ups onscreen. There mention but that's about it.

Edited by Majestic Paladin

Daichi from Devil Survivor 2 also gets too much hate. He does freak out about everything bad that happens later in the game, but it's only a realistic reaction from an ordinary high-school student to the fact that Eldritch Abominations are planning to destroy the world.

He's also awesome the first day where he's the only reason the team manages to survive Dubhe.