98 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gender Locked Classes get thrown out the window?

In Awakening, we have introduced to female mercenaries, getting slightly closer to the goal gender equal classes. I really want to see a male pegasus knight in the next Fire emblem or an infantry female axe user. Gender restricted classes suck because I can't put wrath, aggressor, galeforce, and counter on Sumia and watch the world burn. Imagine a support between a male pegasus knight and a shocked female pegasus knight. Or a female barbarian and an embarrassed Vaike.

Edited by thetiger39

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like gender locked classes, mostly because there aren't much logical grounds for it. How come only women can be mounted staff-wielding troubadours? The word "troubadour" was typically used to refer to men anyway. While I can understand why guys wouldn't be "valkyries" why not come up with another terminology for them? Is there any reason why women cannot be of the fighter class? Even pegasus knights really don't have a historical/cultural basis for being all-female.

Being able to make your own Avatar, it would make sense to get rid of gender restricted classes. Talking from a female perspective, I would like to be that strong axe wielding berserker woman with a STR asset. In FE12 if you unlock something, males can reclass into any class sans Pegasus knight. Palla would be fit for a pirate or a fighter class given the high STR growth.

Edited by thetiger39

3dPf6.png

I'm just going to post this again as my point for male pegasus knights. Thor for Galeforks/10

That and in Greek mythology. Perseus and Bellerophon are the ones associated with pegasi, and both are dudes.

I don't like gender locked classes, mostly because there aren't much logical grounds for it. How come only women can be mounted staff-wielding troubadours? The word "troubadour" was typically used to refer to men anyway. While I can understand why guys wouldn't be "valkyries" why not come up with another terminology for them? Is there any reason why women cannot be of the fighter class? Even pegasus knights really don't have a historical/cultural basis for being all-female.

^This.

Maybe it's not necessary to have a same class for both male and female, but another class with similar characteristics. I can't think of any examples right now 8/

^This.

Maybe it's not necessary to have a same class for both male and female, but another class with similar characteristics. I can't think of any examples right now 8/

Technically, Fire Emblem splits unpromoted healing classes into Curate/Cleric or Priest/Cleric or Priest/Sister etc. in most cases. Cleric is a gender neutral term though, so you have to wonder why they bother really.

I'm one-hundred percent supportive of female fighters/warriors, but for some reason I don't really want to see male pegasus knights. I feel like it could take away from the uniqueness of the class, but I won't object is IS wants to give it a try.

Also, if class swap returns (and I'm pretty sure it will), less gender exclusive classes could make the characters less unique gameplay wise, since characters could start sharing more classes (which is something I didn't like about Shadow Dragon and New Mystery and their incredibly liberal class swap system).

Edited by RPG

If IS sticks with character-based class sets or nixes class sets altogether, I'm all for lifting gender locked classes. Bring on the male peg knights and female barbarians!

The way I see it, it's one of those tradition things. Link always wears green. The Swiss Guard are always Swiss. Pegasus riders are female. It's just one of those things they do every game. I don't think it hurts anything, nor would it ruin the franchise if they changed it. Don't see any reason to though. This sort of thing probably originated from older tabletop RPGs where race/gender had an impact on stats, so certain classes were better off with female characters and others benefited more from males.

I'm one-hundred percent supportive of female fighters/warriors, but for some reason I don't really want to see male pegasus knights. I feel like it could take away from the uniqueness of the class, but I won't object is IS wants to give it a try.

And you don't think female fighters/warriors would "take away from the uniqueness of the class" in the same vein?

I just don't see a reason why pegasus knights have to be female. There is no historical or cultural basis for it (see above posts). I'd probably complain less if wyvern riders were a male-only class in contrast to the female pegasus knights, but clearly they are not.

Since this is a fictional work, there doesn't really need to be backed by a historical or cultural basis. They can make their own rules.

Also as a funny, at least to me, bit of trivia, Dragon/Wyvern Riders were also female only, at least for the playable cast, until Dean in Thracia776. Meaning that only females could be fliers for the playable cast. Unless I'm forgetting someone...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

And you don't think female fighters/warriors would "take away from the uniqueness of the class" in the same vein?

I just don't see a reason why pegasus knights have to be female. There is no historical or cultural basis for it (see above posts). I'd probably complain less if wyvern riders were a male-only class in contrast to the female pegasus knights, but clearly they are not.

It's not really a huge deal either way for me. But fighters are basically just people with axes, it feels like anyone who could swing an axe could be one, so I'm in favor of female fighters since I don't see a reason for them not to exist.

As for pegasus knights, it was said somewhere in a FE game that pegasi refuse to let males ride them, so I don't mind that there are no male ones since it's something IS tried to justify. You could argue that it's a lazy/stupid reason and I won't disagree. But also I feel like I'd rather have pegasus knights stay gender exclusive, and I honestly can't place my finger on why. It just feels right to me personally. I don't feel like it's being unfair to male class sets either, and I don't think pegasus knights should have a male counterpart just for the sake of balancing things out. But I admit, my views could totally have double-standards in effect.

It's not really a huge deal either way for me. But fighters are basically just people with axes, it feels like anyone who could swing an axe could be one, so I'm in favor of female fighters since I don't see a reason for them not to exist.

As for pegasus knights, it was said somewhere in a FE game that pegasi refuse to let males ride them, so I don't mind that there are no male ones since it's something IS tried to justify. You could argue that it's a lazy/stupid reason and I won't disagree. But also I feel like I'd rather have pegasus knights stay gender exclusive, and I honestly can't place my finger on why. It just feels right to me personally. I don't feel like it's being unfair to male class sets either, and I don't think pegasus knights should have a male counterpart just for the sake of balancing things out. But I admit, my views could totally have double-standards in effect.

It might not have been your intent, but it sounds like a double standard when you say that you'd be fine with women being in a specific male-exclusive class but not men in a specific female-exclusive class. By your logic, pegasus riders in the original mythology were men so I see no reason for them to not exist.

From what I can recall, only Elibe has ever said that only women can ride pegasi. It's not brought up in any of the other games. And if I'm not mistaken, there were apparently male pegasus knights in FE3. Apparently they're enemy units but they do exist? It might just be me, but if pegasus knights are going to be gender-locked then the guys SHOULD have a counterpart. Not for the sake of "balancing them out" but because pegasus knights are a class that can fly that is generally useful and some people like them and would like a male character who could be a pegasus knight? I find it unfair that women can be wyvern riders but men cannot be pegasus knights.

I voted yes on the poll

well, tradition would explain somethings.

But, we NEED a male dancer.

yes, this is a need

and inigo (and his private dances for gerome and minerva) doesn't count

i want on screen scantily clad male dancing

NO.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KEEP THIS SHIT OUT OF FIRE EMBLEM

I DON'T WANT THE WHOLE MODERN PESUDO-FEMINIST MOVEMENT REARING THEIR UGLY HEADS AT THIS.

ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT THEY'VE DECIDED TO FUCK WITH VIDEO GAMES AT ALL. I DON'T WANT THAT SHIT ANYWHERE NEAR SERIES I LIKE.

I like the gender restrictions. I think it puts women back in their place, which is necessary as they are only second-class people anyway. Besides, if you let women become axefighters, what's next? Men marrying other men? Women marrying their dogs? We have to draw the line somewhere.

Edited by Agro