Who else thinks Cordelia is a terrible character?

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Cordelia?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I look at Cordelia the words MARY SUE slap me across the face. So no.

How is a non main character a mary sue? Tell me in detail. Or are you just using the term without knowing what it actually means like 100% of the people who use it on this site

How is a non main character a mary sue? Tell me in detail. Or are you just using the term without knowing what it actually means like 100% of the people who use it on this site

Most of her supports involve her support partner praising her to high heaven and she's supposedly extremely talented at anything she tries.

She is beautiful even for the standards of this game and she has no real character flaws aside from wanting to be perfect and her unrequited love for Chrom.

If that doesn't sound like a Mary Sue to you, then I guess we just have different opinions on the subject.

Mary Sue isn't only applicable to main characters, unless you're going by the absolute strictest sense of the term (female lead character who is supposed to be representative of the [often fanfic] authors).

Meh, her relationship with her old unit and the survivors' guilt is kind of interesting. The unrequited Chrom love and the supposed 'genius' thing are fairly annoying and just not very interesting. I don't really like her, but I find her more tolerable than some of Awakening's cast.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Her gimmick is far too one sided to be worth anything. While other characters generally have tolerable personal gimmick, she doesn't because unrequited isn't personal. Is there any explanation behind this unrequited love thing? I have yet to grind support, so I don't really know beside that her character perhaps boring and dull. From what I saw in Dragon Booner post, I thought she could be better, just like everyone else, if it not for the lazy writing.

Most of her supports involve her support partner praising her to high heaven and she's supposedly extremely talented at anything she tries.

She is beautiful even for the standards of this game and she has no real character flaws aside from wanting to be perfect and her unrequited love for Chrom.

If that doesn't sound like a Mary Sue to you, then I guess we just have different opinions on the subject.

Her mary sue isn't come from her perfectness alone, but rather the fact that nearly every characters never object her endlessly requited love and accept her as it is. There are some 'perfect' character that doesn't fall into mary sue trap when other characters could object to their view or their doing.

I don't know if this is on topic, but IMO the next time they want to do something like this, I rather have the Main Lord being able to pick one(like GBAFE), and one is not clearly better than the others(like Sheeda > Catria. More or less in line of Sacred Stones) >_>

As sad as this sounds, I think SS has the best when it comes to story and characterization >_>

Cordelia also has zero plot relevance past her joining chapter

Cordelia isn't a Mary Sue. Why do people keep throwing around this term?

A mary sue is a character that is a self insert for the writer/reader. Often, they have no personality so that the reader/writer can better imagine themselves as that character. From this, the writer often gives them special powers, because the writer wants to feel special in her self insert. Take Bella from Twilight for instance. Bella is extremly bland as a character, and almost always is just reacting to other characters and her surroundings. Her mind can't be read to make her special, so that Edward falls deeper into love with her.

Now, Cordelia. Cordelia doesn't have a special power at all, and she actually has some personality. Sure, it's somewhat bland, but Cordelia isn't made to be a self insert character. That's what the avatar is for. You want a real mary sue? Look no farther.

TL;DR, Stop calling people sues when they're not sues.

You're asking for too much from Sue Forest.

we should rename the site that, it would fit so much better.

I'm just tired of people saying characters are sues. And they're never even the right characters by their standards anyway...

we should rename the site that, it would fit so much better.

I'm just tired of people saying characters are sues. And they're never even the right characters by their standards anyway...

people use the term "Mary Sue" to denote someone that they don't like

it's fairly obvious

not next page this time

Edited by shadykid

I don't know if this is on topic, but IMO the next time they want to do something like this, I rather have the Main Lord being able to pick one(like GBAFE), and one is not clearly better than the others(like Sheeda > Catria. More or less in line of Sacred Stones) >_>

As sad as this sounds, I think SS has the best when it comes to story and characterization >_>

Actually, I agree with this. I think it says something about IS's handling of characters when the easiest game in the series also has one of the only 'Catrias' that was done right, imo. Vanessa is actually one of my favourite characters in that game partly for that reason.

Regarding Cordelia, though, I actually find myself less bothered about her character ingame than her development process. Based on some of the ideas used for her, (Explicitly a shout-out to Catria, irrelevant things made to match up with significant romantic themes, like her name in both JP and ENG and her birthdate - Tanabata) it's clear that IS had one particular trait in mind when creating her with everything else as an afterthought, and no points for guessing what that trait is. What bugs me is just how intensely creepy that is, like how Catria's feelings - one aspect of her character and a subtle one at that - is being held up as this sort of true romantic ideal and fetish.

Granted, it's fairly easy to relate to that, and I get the feeling that part of her popularity is due to this. But I just can't shake how creepy that sort of thing is.

I think she is an awesome character. She is in my "A Team."

I had her marry Kellam and the two of them have INSANE defense and strength together. I usually giver her a Brave Axe and Kellam a Killing Edge. If there are no mage users in sight, they can wipe out an entire army together. She also has terrific movement when paired.

I cannot say that Cordelia is a terrible character, because as a unit, I think she is great. However, I am unable to say she is amazing either, because her personality could use some work. I feel something in-between, therefore I shall not vote to be fair.

Cordelia isn't a Mary Sue. Why do people keep throwing around this term?

A mary sue is a character that is a self insert for the writer/reader. Often, they have no personality so that the reader/writer can better imagine themselves as that character. From this, the writer often gives them special powers, because the writer wants to feel special in her self insert. Take Bella from Twilight for instance. Bella is extremly bland as a character, and almost always is just reacting to other characters and her surroundings. Her mind can't be read to make her special, so that Edward falls deeper into love with her.

Now, Cordelia. Cordelia doesn't have a special power at all, and she actually has some personality. Sure, it's somewhat bland, but Cordelia isn't made to be a self insert character. That's what the avatar is for. You want a real mary sue? Look no farther.

TL;DR, Stop calling people sues when they're not sues.

Cordelia is a CANON sue, then. Is that more accurate?

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage