NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wanna talk about the Steelers winning Superbowls with dubious calls, how about the one against the Cardinals? On Harrison's now-famous 100yd INT return, the Cardinals RB Hightower was clearly blocked in the back when he had a good chance to make the TD saving tackle but that never got called.

I expect Manning and CO. to win by at least 2 scores. Maybe some late game heroics by the Seahawks to bring it within 1 score but they wont get the onside kick.

That's kind of an iffy call and I'd blame warner for the 14 point swing. It's a shame, that story was every bit a good guy vs bad guys game - Larry Fitzgerald vs Santonio Holmes, Kurt Warner vs Ben Roethlisberger, etc. The nice guys of the league vs the scumbags. "Shock the world" against "Sixburgh." The end result was so sad.

This is going to be a low scoring Super Bowl. Both tema match up incredibly well outside of the Denver offense/Seattle defense. I think Denver receivers are overrated but Seattle offense is fragile.

Edited by Lord Raven

Gods, someone tell Raven to stop talking shit about the Steelers. It's uncalled for and offensive to me. My team are NOT evil scumbags.

You don't see me bitching like this about the Ravens or anyone, so please. This is no better than me overmentioning Pittsburgh.

Let me make it clear that I said the Steelers deserved the win in the Super Bowl (implying that they deserved the win over the Ravens in the AGCCG too, Joe threw a terrible pick six when we were in position to win). I don't know why my post was selectively read as such, probably cause I said that Ben/Holmes are NOT good people whereas Kurt/Larry are notoriously nice based on a ton of stories (and while I'm at it I will say I have heard ridiculously awesome Troy Polamalu stories and I want to eat at a restaurant where he's eating at one day. I also think Ben didn't rape anyone but I still haven't heard he's a good person). I think regardless of who made that Super Bowl - Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Dolphins, Chargers, and Titans - the world would be against them in lieu of the Cardinals, it just so happened that the team that was the most popular of the three (as well as one of the most hated because of those two players and their winning ways). At least be aware of the perception of your team before you flip out on me, because that was the narrative at the time almost. I'm not going to argue this too much, but don't be offended because I'm a Ravens fan responding to a post about SB43, cause I think Hawk King as a Bills fan (ie doesn't give much of a crap about the Steelers) would just about agree.

Bear in mind, people also love underdog stories and the 2008 Cardinals, to this day, are a team that was widely known as the worst team to play in a Super Bowl because that defense was far more atrocious than the 2011 Patriots. The current Cardinals team that just missed the playoffs were better than the 2008 team by far. (Ana I have you unignored cause of when PW made that reasonable post and you agreeing). Everyone was rooting for then because of that, hence "shock the world."

At any rate, how do you feel about the 2013 Giants season Narga? And the firing of Gilbride? Seems like they took someone off the coaching tree.

I don't care about the Giants beyond Manning, but since I like both Mannings I was deeply disappointed. I don't follow stories enough to know if the firing of Gilbride was a good idea or if it was just to do "something" so that their fans thought they cared. After they went 0-6 I kept hoping they'd win the last 10 and make the playoffs somehow, and they made a run of it to like 4-6 but then started losing again. My dad has a little joke about the two Mannings and how the older one is a regular season star and the younger is the playoff one and how together they make a complete quarterback.

Youre quite right, Raven. The Steelers are my 2nd most hated team in the NFL. No offense to you Ana. From their players to their team colors, I just dont like anything about them.

As far as the SB goes I actually think it will be a higher scoring game. (ie) Both teams will go over 20.

For the record, I think it's pretty likely that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted someone at some point, but then again I also think Ray Lewis was pretty deeply involved in a murder so...yeah. While they were not convicted of those charges, I doubt they were entirely baseless and that their influence as professional football players allowed them to avoid convictions. There's a lot of criminal activity among NFL players that is often overlooked when people are busy cheering for their team.

Well, Lord Raven, you act like all the Steelers are assholes, which they are not. They have plenty of nice guys. Troy Polamalu is as nice as they come, as you say. Mike Tomlin is the most liked coach in the league among players. Hines Ward was a really nice dude. Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell seem like cool guys too. Brett Kiesel is also awesome. He dressed up as Santa Claus for Christmas to help the Salvation Army!

I'm not denying that Ben screwed up by getting accused of raping someone and crap. He did really lose some respect from me for it. But he's turned himself around since then and is even married with two kids now. It's not the past that makes a person, it's how they learn from it and shape their future that makes a person. If Ben continued getting in trouble, then yeah, I still wouldn't like him. But it seems that he made the right choices after almost getting himself thrown in jail.

Also, the Steelers aren't the only team that has a few bad apples. Every team has idiots, including your beloved Ravens. As Cynthia said, Ray Lewis got accused of murder, for example.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your post a bit though. I'm just getting rather irritated at all of this talk about the Steelers not having deserved their most recent Super Bowl wins. But I'll shut up about it now, we have the current Super Bowl to worry about. I'm still cheering Pey-Pey and his Broncos!

Youre quite right, Raven. The Steelers are my 2nd most hated team in the NFL. No offense to you Ana. From their players to their team colors, I just dont like anything about them.

As far as the SB goes I actually think it will be a higher scoring game. (ie) Both teams will go over 20.

The uniform colors are basically the only thing I like about the Steelers, since my high school team used the same colors.

Also, I have to agree with Cynthia. While the Browns don't currently have any murderers or rapists on the roster currently, we did have a guy who accidentally killed someone with a car a few years back.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Well, Lord Raven, you act like all the Steelers are assholes, which they are not. They have plenty of nice guys. Troy Polamalu is as nice as they come, as you say. Mike Tomlin is the most liked coach in the league among players. Hines Ward was a really nice dude. Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell seem like cool guys too. Brett Kiesel is also awesome. He dressed up as Santa Claus for Christmas to help the Salvation Army!

I'm not denying that Ben screwed up by getting accused of raping someone and crap. He did really lose some respect from me for it. But he's turned himself around since then and is even married with two kids now. It's not the past that makes a person, it's how they learn from it and shape their future that makes a person. If Ben continued getting in trouble, then yeah, I still wouldn't like him. But it seems that he made the right choices after almost getting himself thrown in jail.

Also, the Steelers aren't the only team that has a few bad apples. Every team has idiots, including your beloved Ravens. As Cynthia said, Ray Lewis got accused of murder, for example.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your post a bit though. I'm just getting rather irritated at all of this talk about the Steelers not having deserved their most recent Super Bowl wins. But I'll shut up about it now, we have the current Super Bowl to worry about. I'm still cheering Pey-Pey and his Broncos!

I come back after a week and not surprisingly you two are arguing.(Not being mean, just joking around).

Now to actually help this conversation along, every team,especially those who are the media's main point, screws up. They have stupid people. Some get accused of murder and get off, some get arrested for murder, have more murder charges brought up against them, sue the team that paid them several million dollars, and five months later gets out of jail on bail. It's bound to happen and people remember it more the better the team was. I have no idea where I'm going with this so lets talk about the rams. Who else thinks it would be an awful idea for them to move back to LA?

And an actually relevant image.

image.jpg

Edited by Randa

Was that poll voted on ONLY by the players? xP

Even if it was though, Tomlin is still second place, which proves my point that he's a great guy.

Edited by Anacybele

Was that poll voted on ONLY by the players? xP

Even if it was though, Tomlin is still second place, which proves my point that he's a great guy.

An annonymous poll of 320 nfl players. And I personally find it interesting that bellicheck and Reid are tied for fifth, I thought they would both be higher.

For the record, I think it's pretty likely that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted someone at some point, but then again I also think Ray Lewis was pretty deeply involved in a murder so...yeah. While they were not convicted of those charges, I doubt they were entirely baseless and that their influence as professional football players allowed them to avoid convictions. There's a lot of criminal activity among NFL players that is often overlooked when people are busy cheering for their team.

Well Ray was convicted of obstruction of justice and his friends of self-defense, witnesses attested to the fact that they were being shot at when they were getting back to their car. Involved in a double homocide that they didn't provoke. At any rate, nfl players don't always have a history of getting away scot-free upon crimes committed, especially considering it took a while before the final verdict came for Ray.

The girls who testified against Ben didn't give a very consistent story. I still hear he is an asshole regardless.

Remember though, this is 2008 where these accusations were happening. Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner could do no wrong, and Santonio Holmes was a wifebeater and Ben may or may not have raped a girl (I don't think he did because it's clear some of them did it for attention and to get money off someone who is rich)

At any rate, here's the polamalu story i've heard. He better come to outback steak in maryland

As for that image, I'm not surprised Harbaugh is so low. When he came in for the 2008 season he pissed off a lot of veterans and eventually cut them - Chris McAllister and Jared Gaither are two example I can think of. Eventually they took out Derrick Mason too.

Edited by Lord Raven

Remember though, this is 2008 where these accusations were happening. Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner could do no wrong, and Santonio Holmes was a wifebeater and Ben may or may not have raped a girl (I don't think he did because it's clear some of them did it for attention and to get money off someone who is rich)

At any rate, here's the polamalu story i've heard. He better come to outback steak in maryland

True, you're right that it was in 2008 and not the present. But I'm glad you think Ben was innocent all along, I think so too. Though I still never liked that he even put himself in a position to get accused of such a horrible crime in the first place.

That Troy story, just wow. He paid for all those people's meals just because they left him in peace? He really IS a saint, this guy. If I'd been there, I probably wouldn't have approached him either, simply because I'd be too shy and have absolutely no idea what to say. :P I suck at that kind of thing.

Though at the same time, I do still have a photo of the 2010 Steelers that I'd love to have signed by him. lol

So offensive Rookie of the Year.

Keenan Allen or Eddie Lacy.

Personally,Keenan Allen has the better chance,and I love how he continues the Chargers and Raiders rivalry since the Raiders had 3 'fucking' times to draft him,a lot of team knew he had talent,but Chargers saw his potential.

Honestly,you have to split between those two for Rookie of the Year,Keenan Allen with beautiful catches and Eddie Lacy with dynamic runs.Though,consider the following,Eddie Lacy made up a good chunk of Packers offense this year.Keenan Allen became a fail-safe under pressure and he could do the things A.J. Green and Randy Moss were able to achieve,which is a good pass protection.

Seriously,how can you not choose a Rookie who can already do this

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers_RB_Eddie_Lacy_1yard_TD_run/8c97071c-289e-442e-a280-943b222123a3

or a Wide Receiver who can do something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw90-nEu_IM

That sums it up,Super Bowl Sunday,rooting for Russel Wilson since 'Omaha' has to be the stupidest thing to say while playing,Peyton may as well should say 'Papa Johns' and play,I bet everyone will be confused.

Oh wait...tis' happend

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-peyton-manning-broncos-used-papa-johns-audible-2013-9#ooid=RodHc3ZjrKTBKf2Z3RVvH4iaJjoZPzdQ

That sums it up,Super Bowl Sunday,rooting for Russel Wilson since 'Omaha' has to be the stupidest thing to say while playing,Peyton may as well should say 'Papa Johns' and play,I bet everyone will be confused.

It's an incredibly common snap count word, Manning wasn't anywhere near the first one to say it.

It's an incredibly common snap count word, Manning wasn't anywhere near the first one to say it.

Never knew that,I guess it's just I hear usually different audibles.

;_; Offensive Rookie of the Year goes to Eddie Lacy,it's alright,Eddie Lacy did make up about most of Packers offense so it seems fair. Allen you'll get a Super Bowl ring though,don't worry (I hope).

So how does everyone feel about the HOF inductees, I'm happy that Ray Guy got in, All the rest definitely deserved to get in, but I have to question Andre Reed being inducted over Marvin Harrison, but I'm okay with it because he (Reed) should have gotten in in one of the previous 8 years he was up for induction. I think the cap at 5 (modern-era) people is tough in the NFL where there are the most players per team, and we see that this year with the Bus, Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown, and others being unable to make the cut.

Yeah, don't have to tell me that, the fact the Chris Carter had to wait at all became a huge news story every year around these parts (Minnesota). And if you look at the WRs, Tim Brown is still there, Harrison deserves to get in. Isaac Bruce is coming up for nomination next year and he should be a lock. Hines Ward doesn't have a great case (compared to those others I have named) But I definitely think he is borderline. With TO coming up in the same year and Randy Moss soon after that the HOF still has a problem with too many WRs. And at some point how will we judge WRs and their stats in the new pass-happy NFL, all legitimate questions.

Edited by Second Pronoun