NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

Wikipedia marks it as May 8-10.

2nd option in the google list. The point of googling isn't to look at the google page, it's to click a couple of the links. Technically, you could search

nfl draft 2014 date

and it'll give you want you want on the google page, but I didn't think it was necessary to be that specific for anyone.

And the point of lmgtfy is to tell people they can find out the answers to questions they don't know without asking other people to do the work for them. Anyone who doesn't know the answer to your (Ana) question has the same resources to answer the question as you.

lmgtfy is only "rude" because lots of people don't like looking up answers themselves.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's rude cause it's condescending lol

Will post a rant on this Super Bowl later but it's mostly going into specifics of how fucked Denver was going into this game

Edited by Lord Raven

2nd option in the google list. The point of googling isn't to look at the google page, it's to click a couple of the links. Technically, you could search

nfl draft 2014 date

and it'll give you want you want on the google page, but I didn't think it was necessary to be that specific for anyone.

And the point of lmgtfy is to tell people they can find out the answers to questions they don't know without asking other people to do the work for them. Anyone who doesn't know the answer to your (Ana) question has the same resources to answer the question as you.

lmgtfy is only "rude" because lots of people don't like looking up answers themselves.

Well, the point of people asking others for information is to see if someone had already looked it up beforehand. Not to ask someone to go to Google for them right at that second. :P

Otherwise, I WOULD resort to Google.

And thanks, Bearclaw.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, Lombardi and Banner are out in Cleveland. I like this move, but I'm not sure how it will play out. Hopefully Farmer and Scheiner will finally bring a good front office to Cleveland for the first time since Paul Brown was running the whole team by himself in the fifties and early sixties, but it's up to them to prove that they're what Cleveland needs. This offseason will be a decent test, though since they got their jobs pretty much out of nowhere just now, I'll withhold judgment until the end of next offseason.

Well, Lombardi and Banner are out in Cleveland. I like this move, but I'm not sure how it will play out. Hopefully Farmer and Scheiner will finally bring a good front office to Cleveland for the first time since Paul Brown was running the whole team by himself in the fifties and early sixties, but it's up to them to prove that they're what Cleveland needs. This offseason will be a decent test, though since they got their jobs pretty much out of nowhere just now, I'll withhold judgment until the end of next offseason.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

The team won't change. They'll draft a quarterback, he'll look good for a year or two, then he'll, slump they won't be patient, the draft mistakes pile up, and they'll be right back where they were. Unfortunately that's how it's been.

Hey now, don't make poor Steve feel bad. Even the worst team can come back and be really good some day. Take the Seahawks. They never won a single Super Bowl until this year, and they didn't even GET to one until 40. They used to suck, no doubt. The Panthers used to be pretty bad too, and they won their division this time.

Anywho, the Steelers hired a guy that used to be one of their best defensive ends. He's the new defensive end coordinator or some such. ^^

I just hope whoever they hired to be the new offensive line coordinator is better than the old guy. Because that's always been our main weakness.

So, since this thread's still alive, it seems, how about everyone's favorite plays from the season? These are mine for sure:

- Polamalu's pick-six against the Dolphins

- Cortez Allen's pick-six against the Packers

- Ben's 13-yard TD run from the same game

- The fake punt also from the same game

- Antonio Brown's punt return TD from...some game. I think it was against the Bengals. :P

- Cam Newton turning a fourth down into a TD all by himself

- Cam Newton breaking half a dozen tackles in one play (a reason he's become a favorite QB of mine!)

- Cam Newton's 30 yard TD pass in the playoffs

Edited by Anacybele

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

The team won't change. They'll draft a quarterback, he'll look good for a year or two, then he'll, slump they won't be patient, the draft mistakes pile up, and they'll be right back where they were. Unfortunately that's how it's been.

Yeah I have no clue, Mike Pettine was a ridiculously good DC for the Bills but I don't know how that translates to a head coach. I also have no idea how these GMs will do. Haslam's a relatively new owner so he's still trying to figure shit out so I guess they'll have to wait a while. A Browns QB looking good for a year or two is progress though lmao, you can really say that Brandon Weeden showed potential his rookie season?

At any rate, our offensive coaching;

Offensive Coordinator: Gary Kubiak (from Jim Caldwell)

Quarterbacks: Rick Dennison (from nothing)

Running Backs: Thomas Hannock (from Wilbert Montgomery)

Wide Receivers: Bobby Engram (from Jim Hostler)

Tight Ends: Brian Pariani (from Wade Harman)

Offensive Line: Juan Castillo

This is the best offensive coaching staff we've had in the history of the team.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah the browns are dumb, why would you clean house and go through a whole year with a new group only to clean them out? Their new owner is not very patient or he is really bad at putting people in those positions. Chud deserved longer, I mean the browns actually looked good until hoyer went down, and josh gorden was amazing and he was their only offensive player and teams still couldn't stop him. And how are you supposed to get good draft if you are changing GMs and player personnel/scouts too much. Its just dumb.

Anyways Alshon Jeffery had like a crazy amazing catch in like 10 different games, also live in Chicago land so it's easier for me to see those.

Kam Chancellor annihilating like half the broncos WR core in the super bowl was fun to watch, even though the rest of the game was lame.

Richard Sherman's last play in that NFC championship game was amazing, regardless of what he said, and no other CB could have made the play he made.

FYI Ana: Joey Porter was definitely a great player for the Steelers (not that I like the steelers, mainly cause james harrison is a pyschopath) and I'm interested to see if he can make the transition to a position coach in the NFL, he was some assistant coach at Colorado State last year.

Yeah the browns are dumb, why would you clean house and go through a whole year with a new group only to clean them out? Their new owner is not very patient or he is really bad at putting people in those positions. Chud deserved longer, I mean the browns actually looked good until hoyer went down, and josh gorden was amazing and he was their only offensive player and teams still couldn't stop him. And how are you supposed to get good draft if you are changing GMs and player personnel/scouts too much. Its just dumb.

Jimmy Smith did a great job stopping Josh Gordon, but we lost that game so I'm not tryna smack here.

Chud had some weirdness associated with his whole employment situation. The idea is that they lost a ton of close games on a roster more talented than the previous year with one less win. Then you have the fact that Lombardi, Chud, and Banner were completely dysfunctional together, the fact that Chud generally did kind of a poor job adjusting for Jason Campbell (who played well and then he was forced to do too much; let him dink-and-dunk for the love of god). The team completely collapsed in the second half and they couldn't get going at all.

I'm not saying the Chud firing was good nor am I saying it was bad, but when you have a defense that good and you coach the team that badly there's definitely issues. I still would say give him another year, but look at how some other HCs did to perennially losing organizations;

- Pete Carroll took the Seahawks to a few 7-9s (a playoff berth at 7-9 too) and then winning seasons then a Super Bowl

- Billick took the Ravens who had never had a season at .500 or above and in his first year they went 8-8 then 12-4/super bowl win in 2000.

- Belichick showed progress with the Browns and they played pretty close games sprinkled throughout the season. With the Pats he went 5-11 with a roster that was diminishing; it was a full on rebuilding effort

- Kubiak took a perennially terrible team and brought them to 6-10 then 5 straight seasons .500 or above (2 playoffs and 3 winning records) and now he's fired after a disastrous 2-14 season

Some of these are years of improvement too, but their first season's win loss record and the means through which they were accomplished stand out among these four coaches. They did have a losing record, but they were much closer in their games, they closed out some close games, and never went on a long losing streak. These are the signs that an owner looks for in a new head coach.

Chud started strong and fizzled out completely. He started out looking amazing but the team had a 7 game losing streak. You look at these great coaches that inherited the reigns and they didn't start out weak or strong; at worst they started weak then finished the season strong or they had bits and pieces of potential sprinkled out. I don't think it was smart but I can see where he's coming from with his "pull the trigger" mentality. They were competitive in some games but ultimately they failed to win a ton of close games, and at times looked completely pedestrian.

Edited by Lord Raven

It is really the problem that the owner has, I can only assume that he was the one who hired the GM and what not and then they go out and hire coaches as well (usually with input from owners and other personnel). The owners have to hire the right people (like the seahawks did with Jon Schneider and Pete Carrol) and after you fire your GM and coach after one year it shows that they did not have any plan in place, which is not good, and it will most likely happen again. It is also strange that they hired a coach and then a couple weeks later they fire the GM. It just shows the dysfunction within the organization, which is sad cause the Browns fans deserve better and they definitely have some great players who deserve better than that.

Here's an article about it

Haslam wasn't 100% at fault; apparently the league somewhat forced him to hire Banner, who then hired Lombardi and Chud behind his back while he was dealing with his legal issues. Then Haslam fired Banner, Lombardi, and Chud because they were all fucking crazy (I forget who thought that Josh Gordon was reprehensible and would amount to nothing, then Lombardi/Banner told Chud to cut Greg Little and Brandon Weeden to send a message to the team and not because they suck, which is pretty fucked up if they ask me). They also planned to hire McDaniels while Chud was coaching.

The media underreports this stuff. I get my info from reddit that way I am up to date on stuff via multiple sources.

Oh cool thanks for the article that definitely makes sense. I always thought it was weird that any team would really want McDaniels to be their head coach. So yeah I'll admit I was wrong and jumped to conclusions, but it is so weird to see it on the outside. I will say that cutting brandon weeden would not be that weird cause man is he horrible and that was a horrible draft pick (though that was the year before lombardi and haslem and all them)

It would be weird if they did cut him, because they'd probably save very little by doing so.

lol though someone tweeted he wants out of Cleveland and the first response was "I'll drive his ass to the airport"

We really need to cut Weeden in my opinion (maybe offer him to teams in exchange for something laughably minor like a seventh round pick twenty years in the future or something, but even then we probably won't have any takers). We're better off having one of the stadium janitors play QB.

Hopefully Farmer does a good job of the draft. I'm not sure how heavily involved in scouting he was before his promotion, but I hope he was taking some notes about who to pick since I'm sure the disorganized mess of a front office he's inheriting didn't leave much info for him to work off of. At least he got the job before the combine.

FYI Ana: Joey Porter was definitely a great player for the Steelers (not that I like the steelers, mainly cause james harrison is a pyschopath) and I'm interested to see if he can make the transition to a position coach in the NFL, he was some assistant coach at Colorado State last year.

Er, firstly, James Harrison isn't a Steeler anymore (he's with the Bengals now), and second, how is he a psychopath? Did he murder anyone just because? :/

Well ha yeah I know harrison is now on the bengals but I just got annoyed a couple years ago with like all the steeler's players complaining to that the league is unfair to them, even though there are plenty of defenses that hit hard and don't get fined. Harrison's comments about the Roger Goddel and some of his other comments were off base, maybe psychopath was a bit much but there is something about him that just does not seem right. I am also probably one of the few people who do not mind the increase in penalties for head shots (that harrison loved doing, especially to qbs), I like to see the best players on both sides not kill themselves on and off the field.

After reading the majority of the Well's report I feel like this is something that should be discussed, but at the moment I'm gonna give my thoughts on Incognito's, Pauncey's and Martin's chances of playing in the NFL again. I'm gonna to preface this by saying that I will not quote the report, because the major parts are vulgar and profane beyond what should be posted on a public forum. I'm not going to post a link, but I do think that if you are comfortable with profanity and sexual/deragatory comments you should go read it. If only to see how messed up this shit was.

I don't think Incognito's gonna come back. He's a history of poor player conduct and in a poll at the beggining of the 2013 season was ranked as the dirtiest player in the NFL. I don't think any team will want the baggage that comes with a 30 year old lineman.

Pauncey will have a job next year. He's a complete and utter moron, but a top line center is hard to come by.

Martin may or may not return to the NFL. Definitely not to the dolphins. It comes down to the acceptance of the teams and more importantly his mental health and depression matters. He will most likely land in:

1 San Fransisco

2 New York Giants

3 New England

But the whole thing is just messed up and Martin and the unnamed player and the athletic trainer all have my best wishes.

So what does everyone else think?

Also I'm going to just say that my opinion of Manziel just keeps dropping. His recent comments show that wherever he goes its gonna be all about him. Not what I want out of any player.

Edited by Randa

Yeah that whole situation with the dolphins O line is crazy and I am sad to hear about it. I feel really bad for Martin because even some NFL players on other teams voiced their displeasure about what he did and not keep it in house, even though if he did, he probably would not have been helped at all (though that is speculation). I hope he gets another chance if he wants to. Also, good riddance to Richie Incongito who has made a name for himself by being a dirty player, a disrespectful player and teammate, and just a bad person in general.

On to more fun news: Who is the most intriguing player to you in this year's NFL draft? I am definitely interested in seeing how Clownley will be perceived as by the GMs and what not, since 6'6'' 280 lbs DE with 4.6 speed don't come around too often. Also, the quarterbacks are always intriguing; ignoring Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater look pretty legit. The NFL draft is one of my favorite events of the year!

Bortles is looking pretty good in terms of measureables at this point. He needs more and better film but he reminds of Dontari Poe from two years ago. Only at the quarterback position. He could be a very solid NFL QB but there's no guarantee yet. Eric Ebron, the tight end out of North Carolina, is probably the most intriguing this year. It will be fun to see where GMs draft these hybrid TEs after the Gronk, Graham, and Hernadez numbers. He's somebody who can make a quarterback look a lot better, and an offense a lot more productive.