This "Guide to Marriage and Inheritance in FE Awakening" on Tumblr written by "Fire Emblem Awakening Experts"...

Zerker

Universal Disclaimer in a guide does not diffuse scrutiny of a guide.

Nor does it protect it from being Valflamed.

Edited by Ƶerker

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Keep in mind -while based on extensive experience, these pairings/inheritance options are still tailored to my particular playstyle and, as such, should be taken with a grain of salt."

I think it is extremely pretentious to tout it as made by "Fire Emblem experts", then put that kind of disclaimer on it. Had it been put out as something like "my personal opinions, as written by me", I think this person would be getting a lot less flak.

Nor does it protect it from being Valflamed.

I see what you did there

tl;dr summary of this thread: "optimization" doesn't really matter, Cynthia is amazing, and that guy doesn't know what he's talking about

tl;dr summary of this thread: "optimization" doesn't really matter, Cynthia is amazing, and that guy doesn't know what he's talking about

Corrected for accuracy.

Are Pavise and Aegis really not that notable? Freddy's the only character that has access to both.

ANYWAY, JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW:

That blog has been inactive for months. I sent in a question about the prospects of a Vaike!Gerome!Morgan back in April to no avail. I think some Gamefaqs topics were surprisingly much better in giving reasons as to why so-and-so would be a good father. The blog is more about modifiers, when I think people care more about skills.

Are Pavise and Aegis really not that notable? Freddy's the only character that has access to both.

That blog has been inactive for months. I sent in a question about the prospects of a Vaike!Gerome!Morgan back in April to no avail. I think some Gamefaqs topics were surprisingly much better in giving reasons as to why so-and-so would be a good father. The blog is more about modifiers, when I think people care more about skills.

Double Shields... kinda suck, TBQH.

They were nerfed WAAAAY too hard-- not only was the split a thing (Pavise/Great Shield was 1 skill) but they nerfed the hell out of the mitigation.

They're alright, but not that great. It's % to only reduce damage by 50%. Now if they were back at 100% like previous games, they'd be a thing, but honestly, they're not that great.

And GameFAQs topics-- yeah, Endgame's guide is a thing. Sure, sarcastic, but it's accurate. And better than the current meta.

IIRC now they're found here:

gamepocalypse.tumblr.com

Double Shields... kinda suck, TBQH.

They were nerfed WAAAAY too hard-- not only was the split a thing (Pavise/Great Shield was 1 skill) but they nerfed the hell out of the mitigation.

They're alright, but not that great. It's % to only reduce damage by 50%. Now if they were back at 100% like previous games, they'd be a thing, but honestly, they're not that great.

And GameFAQs topics-- yeah, Endgame's guide is a thing. Sure, sarcastic, but it's accurate. And better than the current meta.

A good deal of skills were nerfed relative to the Tellius saga, but IMO, Vantage got it worse than most, having most of what it could combo with either nerfed to near uselessness (Wrath) or gone altogether (Adept, Resolve), in addition to the half HP requirement. If it was like it was in FE9, I'd actually believe the hype, but as is, Vantage is pretty much forgettable IMO.

A good deal of skills were nerfed relative to the Tellius saga, but IMO, Vantage got it worse than most, having most of what it could combo with either nerfed to near uselessness (Wrath) or gone altogether (Adept, Resolve), in addition to the half HP requirement. If it was like it was in FE9, I'd actually believe the hype, but as is, Vantage is pretty much forgettable IMO.

They added Vengeance which beats the hell out of Resolve.

Wrath did get beat with the Nerfbat.

But Vantage+ is broken as all hell.

You're practically unkillable with Vantage AS-IS (Hi, this is Celica's Gale, and I'm introducing you to the Yarnando. *Deals 10 damage* *Yarne deals 23 damage, Twice* *deals 10 more damage* *Deals 23 x2 more damage* Oh, I'm sorry, did you have 99 or less HP, LIKE EVERYTHING IN THE GAME? YOU DON'T GET TO ATTACK. AT ALL. EVER.) . FE9 Vantage/Vantage+ would make you completely untouchable. There's a reason why that's an enemy only skill. It's EXTREMELY EXTREMELY Broken.

They added Vengeance which beats the hell out of Resolve.

Wrath did get beat with the Nerfbat.

But Vantage+ is broken as all hell.

You're practically unkillable with Vantage AS-IS (Hi, this is Celica's Gale, and I'm introducing you to the Yarnando. *Deals 10 damage* *Yarne deals 23 damage, Twice* *deals 10 more damage* *Deals 23 x2 more damage* Oh, I'm sorry, did you have 99 or less HP, LIKE EVERYTHING IN THE GAME? YOU DON'T GET TO ATTACK. AT ALL. EVER.) . FE9 Vantage/Vantage+ would make you completely untouchable. There's a reason why that's an enemy only skill. It's EXTREMELY EXTREMELY Broken.

And I also forgot Vantage+Guard/Cancel (same skill, but different names; I'm referring to the skill that stops enemy counterattacks) was a thing in Tellius. At any rate, I think that it's not a good thing when a skill that shines when combined with others doesn't even have much to combine with (even if Vantage works well with Vengeance). That being said, who's to say that I'm always pairing everyone up when I generally get through just fine without it? Also, what you're asuming is only possible when there's pretty much nothing that can threaten you anymore, which makes it more of a parlor trick in my book than anything.

Edited by Levant Fortner

And I also forgot Vantage+Guard/Cancel (same skill, but different names; I'm referring to the skill that stops enemy counterattacks) was a thing in Tellius. At any rate, I think that it's not a good thing when a skill that shines when combined with others doesn't even have much to combine with (even if Vantage works well with Vengeance). That being said, who's to say that I'm always pairing everyone up when I generally get through just fine without it? Also, what you're asuming is only possible when there's pretty much nothing that can threaten you anymore, which makes it more of a parlor trick in my book than anything.

Really, so you have absolutely no fear of Apotheosis's EP?

Funny, I tank it. That Helswath guy? Yeah, he can get initiates on my units, congrats, he'll die.

Vantage has a new trick that's a lot better than anything it had in Tellius:Double Brave Dual Strikes.

6 Hits is terminal. For anything.

Double Brave Dual Strikes also become reliable almost as soon as S-Supports appear. (Eirika's Blades and Celica's Gales exist from Bonus Box.) 65-70% (Which is the norm, for IN GAME) is as reliable as Luna is in Apo, and you don't need all 6 hits to kill in main game.

Funny, I tank it. That Helswath guy? Yeah, he can get initiates on my units, congrats, he'll die.

no Vantage required, tank the hit and get 12 counterattacks in :B):

Vantage has a new trick that's a lot better than anything it had in Tellius:Double Brave Dual Strikes.

6 Hits is terminal. For anything.

Double Brave Dual Strikes also become reliable almost as soon as S-Supports appear. (Eirika's Blades and Celica's Gales exist from Bonus Box.) 65-70% (Which is the norm, for IN GAME) is as reliable as Luna is in Apo, and you don't need all 6 hits to kill in main game.

What's the point, if I wasn't intent on doing Apotheosis?

As far as Eirika's Blades and Celica's Gales are concerned, I'm forced to either buy them one at a time, having to go over to where they spawned every time, or get lucky with event tiles, which is why I didn't mention them. Both of these get annoying after a while. And that's not even getting into the fact that I hate Vantage even more than you hate Armsthrift.

Edited by Levant Fortner

no Vantage required, tank the hit and get 12 counterattacks in :B):

Works the first time. Not the second. (Anna wave says what)

That's where Vantage kicks into play.

*Take hit, 78 Damage*

*Vengeance now deals 39 bonus damage (and Luna says what?) still has 100% activation*

*Becomes completely unkillable because things at that point don't range 1*

Works the first time. Not the second. (Anna wave says what)

That's where Vantage kicks into play.

*Take hit, 78 Damage*

*Vengeance now deals 39 bonus damage (and Luna says what?) still has 100% activation*

*Becomes completely unkillable because things at that point don't range 1*

Anna wave says lolenemydensity, you're perfectly capable of tanking both berserkers

Fire Emblem Awakening Expert, self-proclaimed. I don't particularly like insulting someone across the internet like this, but it really is pathetic.

I took a look around the blog at other stuff. The thing is a mess, with the same blog post appearing a ton of times. Then there's this "best classes" blog, which for the first gen characters is almost always just a promoted version of the characters base class; this works for some, of course, but Virion in Sniper and Panne in Taguel?

I wish their blog had a comment section and I hope they eventually make their way to this site.

Fire Emblem Awakening Expert, self-proclaimed. I don't particularly like insulting someone across the internet like this, but it really is pathetic.

I took a look around the blog at other stuff. The thing is a mess, with the same blog post appearing a ton of times. Then there's this "best classes" blog, which for the first gen characters is almost always just a promoted version of the characters base class; this works for some, of course, but Virion in Sniper and Panne in Taguel?

I wish their blog had a comment section and I hope they eventually make their way to this site.

I always make Virion a sniper. I want to have at least one sniper on my team.

It's not the worst guide I've ever seen; I sometimes use Libra x Tharja for high magic and sage/sorcerer/dark knight access. The biggest thing is Virion x Sully. The only people who use that are people who took their dialogue in C1 way too seriously. Virion is only good with Olivia, and Sully is best with Vaike or Donnel. Now, when I do pairings, I focus on the mods, but I don't completely ignore classes. This guide seems to completely ignore class access and focus entirely on mods. To make the best pairings, you have to balance out stats, classes, and skills.

^

TBH, give him a break. He just took modifiers into account rather than skills. No need to flame him for anything more.

But I wouldn't really say he's a "Fire Emblem expert"..

I always make Virion a sniper. I want to have at least one sniper on my team.

That's all good and cool, but it's a bad class and hardly Virion's "best" class.

That's all good and cool, but it's a bad class and hardly Virion's "best" class.

Hey, he's the only archer and Sniper's the best he has.

^

TBH, give him a break. He just took modifiers into account rather than skills. No need to flame him for anything more.

But I wouldn't really say he's a "Fire Emblem expert"..

I flamed him significantly less than a lot of other people. I take mods into account, but I try to get the best of both worlds.

This sentiment makes Noire extremely sad (if I want a Sniper, I'd rather use her).

Uh, what? You know re-classing exists, right? Not only can Virion choose better classes such as Wyvern Lord, Griffon Rider, and Dark Knight (and potentially also Bow Knight and Sage), other characters can be Archer/Sniper.

This sentiment makes Noire extremely sad (if I want a Sniper, I'd rather use her).

I thought I was the only one who used sniper Noire.

Uh, what? You know re-classing exists, right? Not only can Virion choose better classes such as Wyvern Lord, Griffon Rider, and Dark Knight (and potentially also Bow Knight and Sage), other characters can be Archer/Sniper.

I still prefer Virion as a sniper. And yes, I know other characters have it. Ricken is a magic user. Chrom is either GL or Palidin. Stahl has it too, but what is it compared to myrmidon and cavalier?