QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Esme said, I don't really watch TV, aside from the news if I'm studying or writing flash cards. If we're talking about my favorite shows from all time that included live actors, then it'd probably be House or Heroes. House stayed at a high quality throughout its runtime while Heroes varied dramatically episode to episode and nosedived after the first, though, so I'd definitely favor the former over the latter.

Okay I'm sure everyone's kind of expecting this question, but...

What kind of television shows do you dislike? I really hope I don't have to explain this one. Go nuts.

Personally I'm not a fan of reality shows that don't seem that informative (think the contents of stuff shown on the MTV channel) and seem to only be good at capturing drama or pandering to the masses (obviously the type of pandering depends on the target audience). There are a COUPLE exceptions to this (like a couple of the shows Gordon Ramsay is in), but yeah...sometimes even I have a tolerance limit for stuff like what I described above.

I don't like soaps (Eastenders, Coronation Street etc.). Right, that's me labelled public enemy #2.

I'm also not a fan of documentaries that tell you the same basic thing repeatedly, no matter how they change the words around. Yes, most meteors burn up during atmospheric re-entry, I get it already! Yes Time Team, I think we know how things go now. You dig three trenches, and have three days to assemble whatever miniscule evidence you find into a cgi building, with a little help from geophys (or whatever). It's been the same for the last ten years!

Apart from that, I'll endure (but not necessarily like) pretty much anything.

I dislike reality TV as a general rule. As a kid when Survivor and Big Brother were first coming out it was a novel idea, but the genre today is plagued with manufacturing shock and awe by having people act like the dregs of society. I am also not a fan of the relentless dilution of previously academic or at least relevant material from sources like the History channel, now plagued with almost endless reruns of aliens this and ghosts that. I suppose the majority of information-related media has headed in this direction however, using volatile topics or misleading titles with intentionally charged content as clickbait to gain ad revenue.

Also fuck Ghost Hunters and their ilk. I have friends and family that genuinely cite these programs as evidence of the existence of the afterlife and it gives me headaches and makes me cry and also kick small cute things.

I dislike reality TV as a general rule. As a kid when Survivor and Big Brother were first coming out it was a novel idea, but the genre today is plagued with manufacturing shock and awe by having people act like the dregs of society. I am also not a fan of the relentless dilution of previously academic or at least relevant material from sources like the History channel, now plagued with almost endless reruns of aliens this and ghosts that. I suppose the majority of information-related media has headed in this direction however, using volatile topics or misleading titles with intentionally charged content as clickbait to gain ad revenue.

Also fuck Ghost Hunters and their ilk. I have friends and family that genuinely cite these programs as evidence of the existence of the afterlife and it gives me headaches and makes me cry and also kick small cute things.

big brother and survivor were totally manufactured since day one lol

big brother and survivor were totally manufactured since day one lol

I am aware of that. I am simply saying that the extents these programs originally went to were much more tolerable and that being new lent a greater sense of entertainment.

Shows highlighting and exploiting the Deep South/Redneck/Hillbilly culture. The Hillbilly culture isnt what i take issue with. Its the exploitation of it in order to make middle class Americans chuckle and be entertained that i have a problem with. There is one show (i cant remember what its called) thats about a couple of guys who live in Bumfuck Muspelheim, America and the cameras just follow them around and we see the stuff they do on a day-to-day basis. That one is actually ok because its more like "hey this is how we live. IM GOING TO PULL A RUSTED OUT JEEP OUT OF THE WOODS AND MAKE MONEY! Fun times!" But stuff like Moonshiners burns my bacon. Showcasing Hillbilly drama and making them look even stupider for our enjoyment. Wat. No.

I loathe and abhor those Breaking Amish type shows. SO MUCH! Its just demeaning to the people in the show (especially since you can tell that a lot of shit is scripted) and the religions involved. Ok, TV, we get it. Being Amish/Mennonite/Whatever isnt roses. I think anyone could tell you that. But come on! Stop exploiting these teenagers! That Amish Mafia show is fucking ridiculous and they should feel bad.

I also dont like most sitcoms anymore but whatever.

I like paranormal shows a lot. I do however, hate that there are so damn many of them now.

Reality television.

Most of what I see on TV News.

Everything I've ever seen on the History Channel.

Also basically anything my little brother watches. Not by its own (lack of) virtue, but because he'll watch a single episode ten times (over and over and over again) in a week.

Please accept my apology on behalf of them.

I don't have cable for a reason. . .but if last Sunday was any indication, fuck EVERYTHING about Hallmark movies.