QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

tfw your childhood tsundere friend will never hypnotize you to do lewd things with her only for you to come to your senses halfway through the encounter and realize that you've loved her all along and that you should be together. ;__________;

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tfw your childhood tsundere friend will never hypnotize you to do lewd things with her only for you to come to your senses halfway through the encounter and realize that you've loved her all along and that you should be together. ;__________;

nicki minaj is your childhood tsundere friend? I'm kind of lost here.

No one ever said that evil is not subjectively defined; indeed my entire point is that we as a society accept things that we don't like to reach what we find a collectively better world. You won't find any two people that completely agree on everything, and even basic matters of morality are no different. While we recognize that freedom is good, we also recognize that pure freedom in the wrong hands can be evil, and so we let people govern us. While we realize that blowing up people is not good, we also realize that being blown up is also not good, and thus arm ourselves so as to ward off those that would do us harm. And so on and so forth.

History is filled --and always will be-- with compromise. That is what "necessary evil" is, by its nature.

"We" don't necessarily recognize freedom as good. That's an ideological choice, because freedom is also a burden. You can do what you want... but you had to fend for yourself, you have to find your own path. And you risk being strangled by the multitude of choices presented to you - a worry that doesn't happen in a controlled society. Which, of course, has issues of its own.

Sacrificing some freedom for a compromise is quite necessary indeed - people can achieve far more together than alone. But that sacrifice isn't necessarily "evil". It isn't naturally evil - as evil is defined by judgment.

And while blowing up people is not good, we've found the real concept of "people" sadly varies. Some consider killing terrorists, drug dealers and corrupt politicians a good act, after all.

When people talk about "necessary evils" they aren't necessarily talking about conscious beings

money isn't a conscious being, yet interest used it as an example of necessary evil, for instance.

I suppose

But at least, it was consciously made

... well, I kinda disagree with the expression anyway, so don't mind me

I'm sure there are Japanese voice dramas with scripts like that

"We" don't necessarily recognize freedom as good. That's an ideological choice, because freedom is also a burden. You can do what you want... but you had to fend for yourself, you have to find your own path. And you risk being strangled by the multitude of choices presented to you - a worry that doesn't happen in a controlled society. Which, of course, has issues of its own.

"We" as western society and indeed humanity in general highly value autonomy. In so naming the defects to something you could invalidate anything society deems "good," but the fact stands that freedom is very highly valued by people today. I've already said that I don't think freedom is objectively good.

Sacrificing some freedom for a compromise is quite necessary indeed - people can achieve far more together than alone. But that sacrifice isn't necessarily "evil". It isn't naturally evil - as evil is defined by judgment.

Evil is defined by judgment but when the vastest majority of people agree that something is evil then I don't think pointing out that it's a subjective valuation is all that relevant. I have never met a single person in my life that likes taxes. Literally. Not one. But everyone realizes that taxes are necessary in a modern society because I sure as hell wouldn't put random cents towards roads and other public goods I'm never going to use, especially since I could have them without paying anyways.

And while blowing up people is not good, we've found the real concept of "people" sadly varies. Some consider killing terrorists, drug dealers and corrupt politicians a good act, after all.

But the vastest majority of people acknowledge that killing people is a wrong act. They will of course argue that using weapons in defense of oneself and others is a good act, but if you ask anyone whether killing people is wrong, they will usually answer affirmatively. They simply realize that there are people who would answer no to that question.

"We" as western society and indeed humanity in general highly value autonomy. In so naming the defects to something you could invalidate anything society deems "good," but the fact stands that freedom is very highly valued by people today. I've already said that I don't think freedom is objectively good.

I have met a fair share of people who'd rather live as sheep. And even more people who'd rather leave big decisions (i.e. politics) in the hands of others. And while there are other motives in play, support for the establishment of dictatorial governments is far from negligible.

Freedom is a big thing in the North, indeed... but not necessarily outside of it. Can't bother with freedom when your stomach is empty.

Evil is defined by judgment but when the vastest majority of people agree that something is evil then I don't think pointing out that it's a subjective valuation is all that relevant. I have never met a single person in my life that likes taxes. Literally. Not one.

But I like (fair) taxes and gladly pay them.

I don't resent the fact people give away some of the fruit of their work so a government can provide assistance to the less fortunate (and the "less fortunate" often include people who do vital jobs that don't have a lot of perceived economic value) and public services. I resent the misuse of that money - that's the evil I see, not the taxes themselves. And while it's painfully hard to avoid, it's far from a necessity.

But everyone realizes that taxes are necessary in a modern society because I sure as hell wouldn't put random cents towards roads and other public goods I'm never going to use, especially since I could have them without paying anyways.

Some don't really. Minimal state! Private business can take care of everything!

Or what I see a bit around here: "taxes might be needed... but I'm not paying them."

But the vastest majority of people acknowledge that killing people is a wrong act. They will of course argue that using weapons in defense of oneself and others is a good act, but if you ask anyone whether killing people is wrong, they will usually answer affirmatively. They simply realize that there are people who would answer no to that question.

Again, some people aren't people.

They're enemies, or numbers. And thus acceptable targets, or unfortunate, unavoidable sacrifices. A "necessary evil" that's mere convenience.

Edited by OldMan

I have met a fair share of people who'd rather live as sheep. And even more people who'd rather leave big decisions (i.e. politics) in the hands of others. And while there are other motives in play, support for the establishment of dictatorial governments is far from negligible.

Freedom is a big thing in the North, indeed... but not necessarily outside of it. Can't bother with freedom when your stomach is empty.

Given the choice, most people would rather have freedom than not have it. Some may want to be part of a cohesive unit but no one says "I don't want to be allowed to choose things." Even the most fervent followers of some random despot desire autonomy, just not in the same way that we value it. The fact that some people would choose to leave more important matters to others doesn't mean they don't want freedom.

But I like (fair) taxes and gladly pay them.

I don't resent the fact people give away some of the fruit of their work so a government can provide assistance to the less fortunate (and the "less fortunate" often include people who do vital jobs that don't have a lot of perceived economic value) and public services. I resent the misuse of that money - that's the evil I see, not the taxes themselves. And while it's painfully hard to avoid, it's far from a necessity.

Why is it far from a necessity? What nation has absolutely zero taxes of any sort?

Some don't really. Minimal state! Private business can take care of everything!

Or what I see a bit around here: "taxes might be needed... but I'm not paying them."

Okay, some don't. But the vast majority do.

New question!

If you could give (serious) advice to a person new to the Internet, what would that advice be? I'm sure some of you guys have snarky advice you would want to give someone, such as trolling them by linking them to shock sites and stuff. However, that sort of answer should be reserved for the following question.

I'd probably go with "Keep a clear head. With anonymity comes irresponsible behavior and a tendency to let loose. Keep in mind strong opinions are rife in this place, so keep your guard up. Don't lash out - there are many other people using the internet too and not everyone has a thick skin. Finally, if you need to find something, Google is a good place to start."

Edited by Interest

Given the choice, most people would rather have freedom than not have it. Some may want to be part of a cohesive unit but no one says "I don't want to be allowed to choose things." Even the most fervent followers of some random despot desire autonomy, just not in the same way that we value it. The fact that some people would choose to leave more important matters to others doesn't mean they don't want freedom.

The choice between... what? "Would you rather choose things or not" is a loaded question. It demands context.

"Would you rather choose things, or have a steady supply of food?" "Would you rather choose things, or have a stable family?" "What would you prefer - freedom or happiness?" The option of having both things isn't always available.

Why is it far from a necessity? What nation has absolutely zero taxes of any sort?

The misuse isn't a necessity. It's a choice.

Okay, some don't. But the vast majority do.

Do they really? I know far too many people who would gleefully not give a cent to the government, rejecting the idea that "their" money is being used to make things for other people.

Well...I can see that there seems to be some serious talk going on above...but I viewed the question in a much more light hearted manner. Because I was going to say 'university exams'.

It's FftF

The ones being serious are the dorks

BUT ENOUGH OF THAT

New question!

If you could give (serious) advice to a person new to the Internet, what would that advice be? I'm sure some of you guys have snarky advice you would want to give someone, such as trolling them by linking them to shock sites and stuff. However, that sort of answer should be reserved for the following question.

I'd probably go with "Keep a clear head. With anonymity comes irresponsible behavior and a tendency to let loose. Also keep in mind strong opinions are rife in this place, so keep your guard up. Finally, if you need to find something, Google is a good place to start."

"Don't take the internet too seriously, but don't forget there are people on the other side, too." Edited by OldMan

Be suspect of everything, any ad, any link, any comment. Always verify credibility, don't give out unnecessary information, don't run arround with scissors.

"Don't take the internet too seriously, but don't forget there are people on the other side, too."

I'm jumping on the agreeing with this train

sums it up just right