QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~*~**~~*~*~*~*~*~SHOPPINGGGGG~^~&~~*~*~*~*~**~*~

But no, seriously, I'll probably be out getting clothes and stuff with my christmas money the day AFTER Christmas. Then I'll save a bit of it in order to buy BRAVELY DEFAULT and DUCK SOULS II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO once February and March come around.

Going to Jasper and Vancouver for two weeks (leaving Boxing Day)! I'm going alone, because my friend magically couldn't make it at the last minute. Oh well, I'm used to travelling alone at this point in my life. Besides, I find the four days on the train of just me, my iPod, an expensive beer, and a good book to do wonders over the holidays, especially if I turn my phone off and live in the moment.

I'm really excited about Jasper, as I'm going to ski on actual mountains for once in my life! Vancouver too, mainly for the warm coastal temperatures though. I'm from a big city, so the city side doesn't excite me as much as the nature. The hostel I booked does touring in different places every day, so I might look into that. I've never toured anywhere as a group, only myself, so it might be worth a look.

New question!

So finals are over (for college folks and certain high school students) and chances are for a good chunk of you they won't be the last set of tests, projects, or whatever you did that you'll have to do for the sake of getting a good grade in a class. Regardless, the point is in the quest for academic success, there are numerous trials that are meant to evaluate students on their level of knowledge of a particular subject. Today's question is this: What are your thoughts on the methods used for evaluating knowledge and which do you prefer? Do you like standardized tests or exams where you have to sit on your ass for hours on end with minimal breaks and no notes? Perhaps you prefer a more relaxed approach of open note exams (or something similar) with harder questions to compensate (my computer science exams in a nutshell, since there's simply so much information to look through). Maybe you don't like tests but instead prefer to write an essay or work on a project of some sort.

Personally, I'm not a fan of tests but I can tolerate open-note exams. Given how often I've had to deal with standardized tests and "traditional exams" it felt frustrating and generally didn't seem like a decent way to evaluate knowledge in many situations (i.e. in a real-life scenario you'd probably have access to the knowledge and it's not like you'll be in a frantic situation). Furthermore, sometimes the exams felt agonizingly time-consuming and in the case of tests like AP Exams and the SATs, you can't just get up an leave after you're done because of the numerous sections the test had, meaning you were forced to work at a certain pace until close to the very end.

Given the statements above, I greatly prefer essays or projects in replacement for a final exam, with significant preference for the former. It's strange that this would be the case given I tended to gravitate towards science and math classes, which barely have any assigned essays and projects tend to be assigned throughout the semester as opposed to being a final exam replacement.

One last thing worth mentioning is I really dislike the current system of essentially forcing people to take exams, such as for reasons stated above. I don't know why there is a significant leaning towards giving out standardized testing (at least in the U.S.), but I can't help but feel the logic is flawed and the assignment of such exams is a cop-out.

Edit: Maybe if the concept of testing didn't feel so unnatural I would think it's fine, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

Edited by Interest

I like open notes practicals, but even that's not perfect because my typing speed is only mediocre and all my practical exams are, well, programming. And doing math is practical for math classes, I guess.

But open notes > closed notes since I'm a STEM person and I'm a lot better at application of my skills when I don't have to focus on memorising 70 formulas.

I hate essays, see STEM bit. Essays have this knack of killing my grades, especially if they're the type that requires proper grammar and proofreading. I was never a good writer in my native language, but English being a second language just adds to my troubles as is. That, and Essays have historically ruined my grades in classes that I would otherwise get good grades in, mainly History. I love learning about History, for the most part. Writing about it? Nooooooope.

Also standardised tests suck too

Edited by Thor Odinson

What Lumi said. Like, almost exactly.

I can generally manage with the other, but I vastly prefer open note practical type-things.

Essays totally suck (although apparently I'm good at them, which is kinda weird), standardized tests are okay but I sorta dislike them more than some other tests, etc.

I guess a thing that tests have going for them is that when they're done, they're done. That can be nice; they don't stretch on and on.

What are your thoughts on the methods used for evaluating knowledge and which do you prefer?

Assessment methods should vary from one concept to the next. Single-sitting formulaic tests are too narrow; I need to be able to move and change what I'm seeing to think of different things. People remember things better with a variety a stimuli.

Hands-on projects are the best for assessing understanding of tasks. Essays are the best for assessing understanding of a subject.

I hate multiple choice testing because it limits the number of possible wrong answers. A student who doesn't know the subject can still pass a multiple choice test just by divvying up their answers into 1/n for the questions they don't know where n is the number of choices (provided the correct answers are placed randomly).

Edited by Makaze

I hate multiple choice testing because it limits the number of possible wrong answers. A student who doesn't know the subject can still pass a multiple choice test just by divvying up their answers into 1/n for the questions they don't know where n is the number of choices (provided the correct answers are placed randomly).

Lol choose C pass test.