QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much anything under the sun as long as I like it, favorite genres include Rock, Metal, J-Rock, Classical, Pop, some country here and there etc etc. [Hymns and such due to being a Christian]

Favorite bands are: Crush 40, Rise Against, Yellowcard, The Beatles, Pillar.

I also enjoy alot of video game OST's and Anime songs.

My favorite song of all time is thus

Symphonic/Power metal, though most other subgenres of metal is also good. Classical too. Not sure what the Avengers and Assassin's Creed soundtracks fall under, but I've been listening to those a lot as well.

I'm willing to listen to anything that doesn't have degrading lyrics and doesn't hurt my ears though.

I'm not that picky when it comes to music. I'm usually okay with most things I end up hearing. I have a real soft spot for music that sounds ethnic/folk though, and video game music usually does this really well. I also really appreciate complex vocal harmonies. They're one of the coolest things ever.

This is a loaded question. I dislike most artists who fit into the genres I listen to; especially artists who aim for a genre or niche fanbase. You could say that I dislike all kinds of music, for being generic.

I tend to like the exceptional in quality and style, but I would not be able to tell you what most of my music is unless I looked it up. I listen to what I get from friends or hear in other media.

What do you think?

of Montreal

Andrew Jackson Jihad

Bad Religion
Infantree
Modest Mouse
The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Black Sabbath
Parov Stelar

Arcade Fire

Radiohead
Electric Light Orchestra

The Antlers
Thieves Like Us

Queen

David Bowie

Tom Waits
Michael Jackson

Mastodon

Underoath

Nim Vind

Edited by Makaze

Orchestras don't usually have/require electric guitar solos

I like the intersection between classical orchestras and metal guitar/base instrumentation. Fits together really well imo.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

saying the music you like is "the best and most unique" of their genre is a pretty bold statement my friend

The boldness only covers what I have heard up to that point, but I stand by my statement. It has to sound new to me to leave an impression. It goes without saying that it being the best is subjective and relative to my standards. It is the best because my senses tell me it is.

I meant that I do not keep a multitude of similar sounding bands in my collection. I keep the best and most unique artists and consider the rest cheap knockoffs who cannot create things without a formula.

Edited by Makaze

I'd like symphonic metal more if it were written in a different way and if the vocals were more bearable (then again I like things like Accept and Whitesnake that others would make fun of me for but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a symphonic development of that kind of sound). I guess the only actual symphonic metal band that I really enjoy would be Virgin Black? Fantastic songwriting, no cheese (though the vocals aren't as good on the debut but that was before the dude took operatic singing courses and shit got legit), contrasting soft and br00tal parts, really moody. And then there's stuff like Emperor that's considered "symphonic" (those keyboards are fucking cheesy as hell but it works) even though it's not symphonic by any stretch, and suffice to say Emperor wallops shit.

Yeah generally I get picky on the vocals too, but gimme an instrumental symphmetal and I'll be happy

Singer of Kamelot though, Roy Khan I think

Great voice, he's also one of those opera-trained singers, though I think recently his smoking is affecting his voice quality which is a shame his voice is really nice

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Also Yuki freakin Kajiura

This. All of the this.

Like seriously, Yuki is off the chart.

I listen to various genres but if you narrow it down, I kinda like Vocaloid? No no no no no, not Miku or Luka or Rin/Len, I'm more of a "producer fan" than "vocaloid fan", you know?

I stalk the producer like a creeper haha.

There's also game OSTs. Like Persona, Tales, to name a few.

I am cool with old music, too. I loooove French songs on Sunday's morning with coffee. I blame my dad. He has that ritual.

Edited by Amelia

I like music that's not American.

I don't know, I can stand French music, Korean music, Vietnamese music, Thai music, Japanese music, Chinese music and insertmorenameshere music but for some reason I don't like American music.

Probably because they don't make any sense to me and they're pretty much all about the same thing.

But that aside, my favorite is VOCALOID music that's sung by utaite. Hitori is the best thing that's ever happened since sliced bread. clear and Lon and Wotamin are overrated.

But that aside, my favorite is VOCALOID music that's sung by utaite. Hitori is the best thing that's ever happened since sliced bread. clear and Lon and Wotamin are overrated.

They are... a bit overrated, yes. But they are good, regardless.

However, I still prefer Ren (Or Len whatever his name is spelled), krad ness, 96Neko and ENE more than them.

I like music that's not American.

I don't know, I can stand French music, Korean music, Vietnamese music, Thai music, Japanese music, Chinese music and insertmorenameshere music but for some reason I don't like American music.rrated.

I don't think you understand the range of American music. Americans have written pretty much every kind of music ever, bar music styles from before there were truly "Americans."

Anybody else like making fun of their friends for their music tastes? Funnest pastime ever.

yes, it's great. it's especially funny when i don't mean it/actually like the band i'm shitting on and they take offense from it. i don't do it often because it gets incredibly annoying awfully fast.

never heard of earthless. however, i'm listening to lost in the cold sun right now and i gotta ask, what's so bad about them? why hate them so much?

as far as my musical tastes go...quite broad. my favorites are heavy metal (sabbath, the sword, freedom hawk, judas priest), blues/delta blues, hard rock, rock n' roll, etc. next comes fingerstyle guitar (andy mckee, michael hedges, leo kottke, don ross). then indie shit (bands similar to fun, imagine dragons, bird courage are liked more than others).

but then of course there's orchestral music, disney soundtracks, and other generally sorta awful but catchy pop music.

and then of course hip-hop. both lyrical and party-type (eg, nas, but also busta rhymes). drake, lil wayne, cheif keef, and kanye west are on my "never listen to willingly" list.

oh, also, due to my upbringing, i find arabic music catchy as fuck. my mom never taught me arabic so i have no idea what's being said, but jesus are those songs beautiful.

Edited by Phoenix Wright