QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that I tend to gravitate to books whose covers give off the vibe of YA fiction, more so if the protagonist is a girl (Romance is another thing that's pretty prominent in books like these haha...;; )

The gist of this being I choose my books based on their covers. If the back of the book sounds interesting, I'll purchase it. But the covers are what really attract me to books.

Treatises / poetry / (old) journalism. Don't read fiction anymore outside of recent postmodern stuff, which I read mostly for entertainment. I guess I've missed out on some classics in fiction, but there's no time for that anymore.

swords and sorcery, and science fiction. Rarely an historical account. I like to keep my real life boring and safe and my fictional world risky and adventurist, filled with monsters that want to kill you for whatever reason.

I don't have any favorite, because I like many, many different books.

My favorite writers are: Stanisław Lem (If you never read any of his books, do it ASAP! Trust me, you won't regret this! No, his books aren't for everybody. You must be smart to understand and enjoy it), Andrzej Sapkowski, Agatha Christie, George Orwell (1984 is dam awesome!), John Flanagan (don't care his books are naive, his books gave me a lot of fun!) and Janusz Zajdel (what a shame, his books aren't really popular).

I really like reading books.

Edited by Nicolas

Fantasy all the way. Sometimes I stumble upon a sci-fi book that has elements of fantasy so I read it, but otherwise no. By that last bit I mean when some of the species in a sci-fi are basically right out of a fantasy book, but there's like spaceships and multiple planets and stuff, I'm cool with that, too.

Fantasy but also

Horror, mystery, stuff like that. Though I'd read anything.

Especially the bolded, but the others as well.

If you had one day (24 hours) left to live, what would you do in your final hours?

Meet the people close to me, write a will, including posting on every community I have been on, pick out what to do with my body, and have a party.

If I'm going out, I'm going out with a bang.

Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Comedy.

Or some wierd mishmash of the above. Overall though, I tend to steer towards the more unusual ideas, like the venerable (and still my favourite) Death Gate Cycle (hadn't heard about it but like fantasy? Take a look (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle), part of the reason it's so enthralling is how it drastically changes between each book, it never gets stale).

Or there's the sadly unfinished Starshield duology (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starshield), which runs off the concept that space is divided into different areas, each with its own laws of reality. This causes considerable problems for Earth's first FTL capable ship, as it crosses into another quatum zone and finds its technology just no longer works. To make matters worse, the crew is soon captured by a civilisation living on six nomadic space cities... who happen to enslave spirits and worship demons. Guess who's next on the list of sacrifices! And then a sorcerer breaks them out.

Oh, and the boundaries between quantum zones move. So just because you start life in a technologically supporting zone doesn't mean you won't be flinging fireballs in your old age...

And last of the 'unusual' books that deserves a mention; Incompetence (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompetence_%28novel%29), set on an Earth where no one can be "prejudiced from employment for reason of age, race, creed or incompitence ["sic"]". Naturally, the police don't know a thing about investigations and will probably arrest the postman, your train won't stop at any station on its route, and your lift/elevator may well go up so fast it tears itself through the roof and flies a good distance into the sky. Catch a plane bound for Croatia? Yep, you'll be landing in Italy, with your luggage arriving in Moscow. At least, the half that didn't get accidentally dumped from the aircraft on the way over France. For one of the world's only competent detective, tracking a serial killer through this mess could make things tricky...

Edited by Wayward Winds

New question! I know we're not all at that age, but here we go!

Do you want to have kids? You don't necessarily have to parent them but you can choose to raise and nurture kids by proxy (i.e. through adoption). Also I completely understand if this thought hasn't crossed people's minds. The question is left open-ended for a reason ;P.

No.

Really, that's all I have to say. Were you expecting me to provide a reason too when you highlighted this post?