No Story Mode

BlueFire

Sakurai:

Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet. You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cut scenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I’ve decided against having them.

I agree with this article.

This would be less of an issue if they performed a world-wide release like Pokemon X & Y. If people want to spoil themselves of the experience, they can. My friends and I aren't looking at the hidden characters before we get the game. I think this is an excuse to not have to make a story mode. There may be an adventure mode like Melee.

Not many people liked Subspace in the first place. It kind of ate alot of disc room anyways. Even if I did enjoy it. That disc space could have been used for much more things then just subspace -shrugs-.

That logic doesn't make any sense. Cutscenes got leaked, so they decided not to bother with them? You could apply that train of thought to any game. And it's not even like they removed just the cutscenes, but also all the gameplay associated with them.

That IS a dumb reason not to have a story mode. :/

It isn't like EVERYBODY has seen those cutscenes. I haven't, for example. And as said before, stuff like this gets leaked for a lot of games. Never stopped other developers. We'll just have to deal with it, I guess.

I'd be happy with a SSB64 style singleplayer. It's safe to say I've put far more time into multiplayer for SSB games, so a full story mode won't be exactly missed.

I loved seeing how characters from different games interacted in the cutscenes and I enjoyed the co-op side scrolling combat which reminds me of Kirby Super Star. Although I played versus much more than the SSE, I still want it.

All of the game's content could be leaked. That's no reason not to have cutscenes. Again, I think it's just their excuse to not make one.

I don't care if they put all of their focus on character balance because I, like the vast majority of people who will play the game, won't be playing it to a professional competitive level. In fact, I doubt they will balance it properly on launch anyways and hope that they will patch to balance characters.

Uh, guys? Read this before you rant.

I'll agree that Sakurai has shit reasoning for not putting cutscenes into the game, but think of it this way. Without having to add cutscenes into the gameplay, he and his team can focus more on the gameplay, and they don't have to spend any more time, money, and effort than what is absolutely necessary to make the cutscenes.

And just because there's no story cutscenes doesn't mean there's a story. In that article I linked, Sakurai said there will be a campaign of sorts for single player that won't be like SSE, and won't require cutscenes or backstory to drive the story forward. I imagine it will be like the Adventure mode that Melee had, or if not, then it would probably be similar in nature.

So there you have it. No story cutscenes, but there will be a story.

What subspace needed I felt was more.. Nintendo based areas and enemies instead of just GENERIC DARKNESS.. Oh here are some Mario people now. I mean heck Smash Brothers Melee's Adventure mode did a better job at making the characters blend in together. While I admit Subspace had alot of cool cutscenes.. The overall execution was lacking. Needed more of that Nintendo feel. If you get my drift

What subspace needed I felt was more.. Nintendo based areas and enemies instead of just GENERIC DARKNESS.. Oh here are some Mario people now. I mean heck Smash Brothers Melee's Adventure mode did a better job at making the characters blend in together. While I admit Subspace had alot of cool cutscenes.. The overall execution was lacking. Needed more of that Nintendo feel. If you get my drift

Exactly. I admit it was nice of Nintendo to create original characters but it would have been better off with enemies from previous tiles like Goombas and Krocks. I thought it would be cool if we fought generic Fire Emblem knights in the caste and battlefield.

I guess at least there will be a story mode to help easily unlock the characters.

As for no downloadable content, I cry tears of joy...Okay maybe not but I am very happy. Smash Bros should have everything there is to offer from the get-go. I'm not paying extra money for the $60+ game on my $200+ with a controller that has a shit battery life...I just hope they have gamecube controllers to connect to my wii 'mote.

I guess at least there will be a story mode to help easily unlock the characters.

As for no downloadable content, I cry tears of joy...Okay maybe not but I am very happy. Smash Bros should have everything there is to offer from the get-go. I'm not paying extra money for the $60+ game on my $200+ with a controller that has a shit battery life...I just hope they have gamecube controllers to connect to my wii 'mote.

The gamepad has a very long and thin cord that doesn't have to be connected to the Wii U as well as a high resolution. It could've been required to be wired in the first place. I doubt Nintendo will create an adapter for GameCube controllers since they have the Classic and Pro controllers. A third party company might make a way for GameCube controllers to emulate Classic or Pro controllers, however. I want them to include as much bonus content as in Brawl (tons of game modes, collectables, challenges, custom stages, demos of old games) and then create more content post launch. It's going to be optional to purchase.

There are reasons to not force a story into smash, but Sakurai's isn't just an insufficient one on its own, it's outright wrong on multiple levels. Not only can there be a ton of replay value in a great cutscene, many times when I watch a cutscene on youtube (which I don't even generally do out for games I'm anticipating playing, anyway), I'll forget enough of it later to still enjoy it later, and that's even when I don't forget so much about it that it's all but new the second time I watch it. He is indeed ludicrously out of touch on the reason behind this position.

That said, whatever works for the game. I spent an unreal amount of time going through shit as simple as Melee's single-player stuff and, to a lesser extent, Brawl's classic mode. Wasn't the biggest fan of Subspace, but as has been said that was more because the enemies were just some darkness dudes. It wasn't torture, at least to me, just kinda there.

You know, the funny thing is some certain individuals mentioned story-driven games and stuff could potentially be ruined by having someone say...Let's Play the game and show the story off. Afterwards, they warn that if by watching the game one gets the same experience as playing it, then gameplay is lacking and you "might as well be watching a movie" (or something like that).

I personally enjoyed Subspace Emissary and yes, I played it. I'm not too happy about them cutting Story Mode out this time around.

Anyways...I kinda agree with this guy:

[spoiler=Contains AlphaOmegaSin]

I don't really mind, but what bugs me is the reasoning for removing it. I mean, no other developer would have a problem with that kind of thing. Although, I'm not going to miss playing a single player adventure mode, I will, however, miss the shiny cutscenes.

Edited by Mr. Haar