• No
  2. 2. Do you like Severa?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither to both. Probably the worst written and personality-wise characters in the game, next to Olivia. Yes, worse than the rest of the Gimmickening crew.

Honestly the females in this game are far, far worse written than the males. Virion, Brady, Libra and maybe Gregor are all excellent characters, while on the female side we get uberscrubs like Cordelia, Severa and Olivia.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Neither to both. Probably the worst written and personality-wise characters in the game, next to Olivia. Yes, worse than the rest of the Gimmickening crew.

Honestly the females in this game are far, far worse written than the males. Virion, Brady, Libra and maybe Gregor are all excellent characters, while on the female side we get uberscrubs like Cordelia, Severa and Olivia.

Gregor on Maybe

I am not amused >_>

i love you no homo

Cordelia is possibly the worst written character in the series (maybe after Marth). I've gone on rants before so I'm just gonna summarize here. Cordelia's gimmick "being perfect" doesn't even apply to her at all. For all intents and purposes her gimmick is "overly obsessed with Chrom". And sure, the same thing is true of Tharja with Avatar but at least Tharja has a main personality/gimmick in addition to this whereas Cordelia just reveals how idiotic the writing sounds under certain marriage circumstances. Bottom Line: No character development is better than badly written characters and IS couldn't even get Cordelia's gimmick straight or consistent.

Severa, on the other hand, I don't feel too strongly about. I voted "like" because of how unforgiving she is towards Cordelia. Honestly, Cordelia deserved it.

Sorry PKL.

quick, need a version of your sig with Lucina next to Cynthia and Morgan/Severa on the other side

j/k

I'm searching for a fanart where Cynthia, Severa, Female!Morgan, Lucina, and Nah doing Ginyu Force Pose. So far I'm disappointed with the non-existent result.

There's a ton more character who is worse written than Marth

Even then Shadow Dragon Marth is a much better Lord than say....Chrom can ever hope to be

Ehh... He's really not that much worse or more generic than say Eliwood/Roy/Chrom, but I guess it's the fact that he gets so many games and fails to have much development or backstory that really gets me. I mean Ike is kinda bland but at least he's badass and has a hell of a backstory. Edited by Walhart

Severa, on the other hand, I don't feel too strongly about. I voted "like" because of how unforgiving she is towards Cordelia. Honestly, Cordelia deserved it.

Then she gets right back to admitting that she was wrong and that she loves Cordelia because Cordelia is just so goddamned perfect that it would be blasphemous to have anyone in the game dislike her.

Heil Cordelia

Yes, yes, Severa.

Detailed answer:

Cordelia is likable for being, well, a nice person. She's good, and despite what others say, not perfect. She's not too arrogant about being good, but seems to want to hide her imperfect abilities (seen in supports with Kellam and Severa). I have to say her feeling towards Chrom was a big minus, especially factoring in how the game works. This may work in (mostly) fixed-ending games like FE6, FE10 or FE12, but not FE13 where almost everyone will eventually marry. (FE6 giving Roy six paired endings is pretty silly, speaking for myself. I still prefer fixed endings with only one possible pairing per character, for the sake of keeping the support writing consistent.)

Severa is harsh, and an excessive spender. But even so, I find her points valid in her exchanges with other people. On top of that, she looks kind of adorable and is actually more useful as a unit. Unlike her mother, she doesn't fail at magic or resistance even with a non-magical father. Her power is reflected storywise too, in places like her support with Cordelia. She's not without things I don't like though, particularly her inferior complex compared to her mother.

Comparing the two, Severa wins for me.

I don't like most of Cordelia's supports. A lot of them (Kellam, Vaike, Gaius, Lon'qu, Stahl) fall under the same formula:

C-A: Cordelia is a perfectionist and does perfectionist-y things. (i.e. correcting people, teaching people, tries to outdo other people, etc.)

S: Guy laments that he's not Chrom but asks her to marry him anyways and she settles.

Boring. And probably obnoxious for someone going through multiple playthroughs.

The ones that don't, well.

Robin/Cordelia is decent, and I usually don't like Avatar supports. At the very least, some focus went onto the whole survivor guilt thing. Also there's no Chrom reference.

I like Gregor/Cordelia and Virion/Cordelia, but that's really more because Gregor and Virion are well-written characters than anything. Incidentally, I think only Robin and Gregor don't make the obligatory 'lol I'm not Chrom' in the S-support.

Frederick/Cordelia and Donnel/Cordelia are the worst. C-support's not that bad and then it goes downhill from there.

Libra/Cordelia is alright, but it's kind of strange contrasted to Ricken/Cordelia. Speaking of Ricken/Cordelia, I actually don't mind that one as much because the obligatory Chrom reference at the end feels less forced.

Henry/Cordelia's actually kind of sweet... and then ruins it at the end with the Chrom reference. Kinda funny if you class-change him into Barbarian/Berserker/Warrior beforehand, though.

Overall... from what I understand, she was pretty much written to be an expy of Catria, who was apparently pretty popular in Japan. As shown by the popularity polls, it clearly worked. But, I still find her bland and one-note. Also the whole complex about her flat chest just seems kinda shoehorned and unnecessary, but at least it's mostly only in the Scramble packs.

Also, they really should've programmed her quotes to change after she got married. That's just lazy programming. Speaking of relationship tiles, though, one of her exchanges with Severa...

Severa: Mother, since you have so many suitors, want to see which of us gets more men?

Cordelia: All right. But don’t underestimate your mother.

That kinda grossed me out. But, it's the 'training' dialogue, so it's probably meant to be a double meaning. A... very uncomfortable double meaning... It's still gross.

I'll probably sum up my feelings about Severa in another post.

Edited by Canto

Ehh... He's really not that much worse or more generic than say Eliwood/Roy/Chrom, but I guess it's the fact that he gets so many games and fails to have much development or backstory that really gets me. I mean Ike is kinda bland but at least he's badass and has a hell of a backstory.

Backstory: He lost his father, his mother, and his sister, so he escape to Talys in order to wait for the time for his revenge

Development: I think Shadow Dragon is the only game that manage to make him.... somewhat good in this regards, because FE12 Marth is definitely retconned to hell and death. On the bigger scale, the interesting part of Marth - Jeigan part of the duo is definitely on Jeigan side >_>.

Thats quite good for a NES era character, especially when the dev team does not give a fuck for anyone who is not named Sheeda

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Cordelia is a talented combatant with a huge crush on a reasonably worthy emblem of royalty.

Severa is an icy jerk who is rude to everyone because she got compared to her successful mom (little sister syndrome I call it).

Cordelia fled and watched her comrades die in order to relay a life-Saving message to Chrom and Co.

Severa watched her comrades die and decided to detach herself from emotion and forget everything she knew about decent social behavior.

Cordelia died in order to keep her daughter alive

Severa lives with rage because she refuses to acknowledge sacrifice as a good thing.

Cordelia puts up a relationship wall because of her strong emotion towards a man she adores, but moves past it while not just magically forgetting her past affection (a very real emotion btw), and remains open about it to further her acceptance of her dream not becoming a reality.

Severa, yea

Cordelia > Severa any day

Might be a little late to reply to you, but whatever..

Umm, Cordelia left because her comrades told her to leave and "preserve their legacy".

She didn't leave them on purpose, but I see your point.

Severa's only mad, because she loved Cordelia a LOT. And losing her mother made her extremely depressed (I'm guessing), causing her to be like this.

Edited by Carter

Is it the Lord's typical heroic and charismatic trait that makes most of them "generic/bland" or is it that they aren't very well executed or likeable? I don't see a problem...Being reckless and hard-headed like Hector and Ike (not so much his case being reckless, though) doesn't sound like a great personality type, in my opinion.

He breaks out of prison, and kidnap a character to(eventually) recruit them twice(IIRC Leif is the only Lord who recruited a character that he captured? I don't remember well), and his final conversation with Miranda is just.... legendary

Not to mention, he ends up leading the strongest millitary in Jugdral, which means Leif could probably go Hardin on Jugdral.... and win