Severa vs. Cynthia  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Cynthia?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like Severa?

• Yes
    • No

He breaks out of prison, and kidnap a character to(eventually) recruit them twice(IIRC Leif is the only Lord who recruited a character that he captured? I don't remember well), and his final conversation with Miranda is just.... legendary

Not to mention, he ends up leading the strongest millitary in Jugdral, which means Leif could probably go Hardin on Jugdral.... and win

1 (holy weapon)/12, nice try

Edited by shadykid

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After earning the highest military title of Great General, Glade was given the task of reorganizing the overgrown army. By transferring surplus members and introducing new weapons, he succeeded in creating one the most formidable elite forces on the continent. His hard work greatly helped the kingdom during the hard times of reconstruction."

mis-reading on my part >_>.

Although its worth to note that

1. HW is not as powerful in story, considering that someone who wield Book of Naga is killed by a random mooks

2. We get broken weapons in Thracia. Leif army has a more modern version of these kind of shit.

Also If we can actually fought these army in a game, I would auto lose to Leif army because I would be too busy drooling over his Dragons, just saiyan

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Is it the Lord's typical heroic and charismatic trait that makes most of them "generic/bland" or is it that they aren't very well executed or likeable? I don't see a problem...Being reckless and hard-headed like Hector and Ike (not so much his case being reckless, though) doesn't sound like a great personality type, in my opinion.

I feel that it's almost always executed too poorly and too often.

The Ostia characters had a special charm that I've yet to experience in another FE. Leila, Matthew, Oswin, Hector, and Uther are some of my favorite characters in all of FE.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Is it the Lord's typical heroic and charismatic trait that makes most of them "generic/bland" or is it that they aren't very well executed or likeable? I don't see a problem...Being reckless and hard-headed like Hector and Ike (not so much his case being reckless, though) doesn't sound like a great personality type, in my opinion.

Yep, it's execution. A heroic/charismatic lord by itself is not a good thing; see Chrom for an epic fail of this. When there's things that interact in interesting ways with their personalities, though, that's what makes them interesting. Seeing Sigurd go through catastrophe after catastrophe, Seth's epic ch16 speech about Ephraim and Renais + Ephraim's interactions and contrast with Lyon, and Eliwood killing his goddamn love interest is far, far more interesting than whatever stupid crap Roy, Chrom, or Celice does.

That's why, say, Micaiah's initial marysue-ish personality doesn't bother me. She pretty much breaks down in part-3 due to being forced in a no-win situation, which makes for an interesting character. What does Cordelia have? Fuckall, that's what.

Edited by Constable Reggie

As of today, 8/4/13, Cordelia & Severa, according to polls, are liked AND hated equally.

However, Severa won in terms of "Who's more likeable."

Severa - 23 votes

Cordelia - 20 votes

Now... there has been a rivalry brewing up between Severa & Cynthia, and you can all thank Severa for being such a god damn jerk (no offense, sweetie, you is still my favorite.)

Who's side are YOU on?

3c44d5ea9bc94c2ac9648300032dd1f2-d5v9rf0or a1177085e30d547b33c08e852eb465d7-d5v9rg1

All thanks go to InvaderZM's "Cordelia vs. Tharja" topic, that has inspired the likes of many, or me.

Edited by Carter

I'm searching for a fanart where Cynthia, Severa, Female!Morgan, Lucina, and Nah doing Ginyu Force Pose. So far I'm disappointed with the non-existent result.

This is as close as I could find.

6drdYyv.jpg

whateverrrrr

now who are these 5 people that don't like Cynthia

I just wanted to be that one dark raincloud. I honestly expected mine to be the only negative vote, so the other four surprised me greatly.

Backstory: He lost his father, his mother, and his sister, so he escape to Talys in order to wait for the time for his revenge

Sounds like FE8. In all seriousness, I've never really liked the way the whole revenge motivation played out with Eirika and Marth. Don't you think they'd be a bit more angry and vindictive about killing the people who destroyed their home and family? I don't really see any of that in the text. For Eirika, it can be written off as her being excessively compassionate, but for Marth it just comes across as bland.

Well, while reckless types like Hector aren't the greatest in terms of development, they are a lot more than Eliwood/Roy/Marth have going for them.

I don't see a problem for Lord who is heroic and charismatic like Ephraim or Marth, or those who plays dirty like Leif either >_>

Ephraim (like Ike) is one of my favorite characters and especially lords, but I have to admit that he isn't the most interesting character. But still, he has the whole "I never pick fights I can't win" thing going for him. Plus he doesn't look like a girl.

Ok, I'm gonna stop derailing this topic now.

On Topic:

Then she gets right back to admitting that she was wrong and that she loves Cordelia because Cordelia is just so goddamned perfect that it would be blasphemous to have anyone in the game dislike her.

Heil Cordelia

This is a really good point (and the reason I voted Cynthia over Severa). Usually you only see this kind of taboo on admitting a character's flaws in the text in the case of the lords. For some reason the game likes to make Cordelia out as likable when she isn'.

I adore both Severa and Cynthia. However, there are instances where both can be grating (which is, admittedly one of the reasons I like them, more realistic). Severa's a tsundere; I don't think I need more details. Cynthia... while not as drastic/overbearing as Owain, the whole 'shouting out lines' and 'grand entrances' thing does make me want to shake her sometimes.

Cynthia's a really fun character, with her bombastic attitude. It's a bit different than Owain's, in that Owain's is more about flash, while hers is more about heroism.

Severa's has that closed off mentality that can come from trauma. In reviewing her for the death quotes thread, I think her detachment comes from her losing her mother. In every death quote, she mentions her mother.

Both are great characters. They great thing about Awakening is that the characters have such contrasting personalities. Each personality is different from the others, so I can understand any of them being someone's favorite.

Ill recap my last statement about Severa, shes the character I love to hate. I hate her because of how rude she is to everyone in supports. Even when shes in battle, her voice shows that shes a brat. Sadly, I put up with her because shes a strong character.

I actually really like the whole "being the hero" idea behind Cynthia. Shes willing to do whatever it takes to be one which strengthens her character imo. Her voice may be a tad annoying at times, but I found myself liking Cynthia more than most characters in the game. Oh and when your avatar marries her, you're her hero :D. She's not my favorite, but shes definitely up there with Lucina and Olivia.

One is a bitch. The other isn't.

The answer is quite easy.

Also,

Sounds like FE8. In all seriousness, I've never really liked the way the whole revenge motivation played out with Eirika and Marth. Don't you think they'd be a bit more angry and vindictive about killing the people who destroyed their home and family? I don't really see any of that in the text. For Eirika, it can be written off as her being excessively compassionate, but for Marth it just comes across as bland.

There's this dialogue piece that I really love from Shadow Dragon. I'd say that this piece alone gives Marth more characterisation than the likes of Roy or Seliph.

Jagen:
Look, sire. See how Altea shrinks on the horizon...

Marth:
..aven...

Jagen:
I beg your pardon?

Marth:
I am a craven. Powerless to save my sister, to staunch my kingdom's wounds; to ease my people's fears...

Jagen:
This...was your only recourse, sire. But surely, one day, you will be able to set things right...

Marth:
"Surely"? Why do words of such conviction smack so much of uncertainty when spoken? Not surely, Jagen. Assuredly. Gra will pay for their acts. Today, though, allow me to wallow in this pain, to feel every awful twist of it. I never want to forget.

Jagen:
Sire...

Marth:
I will return, Altea! Your prince will return to you one day!

There are more pieces like this later on in the game.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

People who hate fun.

Sure it is. I mean, who could hate tokusenka posing wannabe genki girl that have beastly growth?

This is as close as I could find.

I have that one too, but the thing that I would like to have is Cynthia as the leader (with both Nah and Lucina look reluctanly do the pose).

On Topic:

This is a really good point (and the reason I voted Cynthia over Severa). Usually you only see this kind of taboo on admitting a character's flaws in the text in the case of the lords. For some reason the game likes to make Cordelia out as likable when she isn'.

The question is, is it possible to write a tiered-support where one of the party criticize the other for their wrongdoing/flaw without either of them change themselves? In Cordelia/Severa case, it is pretty damned impossible for Cordelia to change her wrongdoing/flaw because it is exactly what makes her as a character. So the writer opt for the alternate route where Severa admits that her opinion is wrong, while her mother was right all along.

The question is, is it possible to write a tiered-support where one of the party criticize the other for their wrongdoing/flaw without either of them change themselves? In Cordelia/Severa case, it is pretty damned impossible for Cordelia to change her wrongdoing/flaw because it is exactly what makes her as a character. So the writer opt for the alternate route where Severa admits that her opinion is wrong, while her mother was right all along.

Uh, of course you can. The future Cordelia isn't (or at the very least, doesn't have to be) the exact same as the current one.

Edited by Constable Reggie