Some questions about Shadow Dragon.

Duadexa

So I have DSLazy and Nightmare, though after many hours of searching, I am unable to find any tutorial on how to use them to mess around with Shadow Dragon. What I'm trying to do is change characters to classes that they wouldn't usually be able to use { For example, Bord a Paladin, Cain a Soldier, etc. }. Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial, or perhaps could help me figure out how to proceed? When I load the ROM with Nightmare, nothing happens. I've unpacked the ROM with DSLazy, but don't know where to go from there.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Well you need nightmare modules if you are editing a rom in nightmare, there are some tools on FEShrine:

http://www.feshrine.net/hacking/nightmare.html

I found a post that might be useful too:

http://forums.feshrine.net/index.php?showtopic=422

Yah that's about it. If you have anymore question I should be able to help you with basic nightmare stuff but I have never tried hacking Shadow Dragon so I probably won't be much help there.

I think Blazer had created a patch that unlocked/expanded which classes were able to be reclassed into. If that's true, perhaps they could share their patch--if all you wanted was the capability to switch around classes normally inaccessible.

I have to warn you: documentation for the non-GBA games is kind of limited.

However, I seem to recall Blazer wrote a lot of helpful info in the package with the Nightmare modules.

For starters, you don't load the entire ROM in Nightmare--only the applicable file, which in this case is probably "database". This file is also LZ77 compressed, so you'll need to decompress it.

The file may or may not be decompressed already, there should be doc included for Shadow Dragon regarding that. It's definitely not as easy or user-friendly as GBA so if you're not too quick to pick these things up you might want to look into things a little more on google and perhaps practice Nightmare with GBA modules if you haven't already

@Celice I don't remember making such a patch, it might've been Arch, I'm pretty sure I don't have it at least since I don't recall it at all from back in the FE12 days and I haven't done much FE11 or FE12 hacking since then so yeah... :(

Aah, I actually just got into it with Nightmare - Though, for some reason, Marth and Caeda's stats read in negatives { for example, Marth's strength is -118 }, and nobody else seems to have any stats whatsoever. Perhaps that's a result of whatever I may have done wrong?

I'm doing some practicing with Sacred Stones as well, and although there are a few things I can't get working, I'm noticing changes.

Yeah, you are doing it wrong if its -118 or something

Oh btw

"What I'm trying to do is change characters to classes that they wouldn't usually be able to use"

This can be done by changing the class settings on each character IIRC

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

I have to warn you: documentation for the non-GBA games is kind of limited.

However, I seem to recall Blazer wrote a lot of helpful info in the package with the Nightmare modules.

For starters, you don't load the entire ROM in Nightmare--only the applicable file, which in this case is probably "database". This file is also LZ77 compressed, so you'll need to decompress it.

I ended up finding out what the LZ77 compressor is, and I have the database file, but I'm not sure where to put the output. Is there a certain place that it is supposed to go? It doesn't give me the save option.

You just put the output as anything, because it will be purely for editing. After that, you'll have to recompress it and then repackage the NDS file.

You just put the output as anything, because it will be purely for editing. After that, you'll have to recompress it and then repackage the NDS file.

Anything, so like a Notepad document? I'll try that, and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Um I'm not sure what you're doing exactly but you're on the wrong track, I'll give you that.

Once you properly edit the database file you need to REcompress it and then put that file in the data folder of the FE11 NDS_UNPACK, then repack the ROM using DSLazy. A bit of a jargonistic explanation but I'm tired/busy so you'll have to look up things, take it slow, and ask specific questions if you get stuck. The modules/documentation pretty much tell you how to do this all though, at least IIRC.

EDIT: sorry if I sound rude not my intention

Edited by Blazer

Figuring out how to repack it is the easy part. The problem is decompressing the database file. I don't really know where to decompress it, so I just put it on an empty Notepad document.

Just use NL Compressor or Puyo Tools. You can find such programs by using google (which will probably link you to http://www.feshrine.net which has a page just for compressors).

I'm using this NLZ77 compressor that I got { Nintenlord's, I think, if it clarifies any }. It gives me the decompression option, but it doesn't just decompress it somewhere, it seems to be asking me to put it in a file or something.