Transuniversal Marriage? (in media)

(This is mostly FE-related, but it can also be placed more generally, so I'm putting it here)

But what if FE14, or 17, or 52-whatever, or some other game or something has a player avatar character and marriage? Would/will you feel guilty remarrying after having a husbando/waifu in Awakening (or from somewhere else, I guess), or do you justify this by "video game marriage is meaningless" or "it's a different 'me' in this universe" or something?

...you have not made a topic and 50 years and this is what you return with? hehe you're just too much!! ( ̄ヮ ̄) <3

well, i haven't played fe13, but don't the MUs actually have lines of their own? i dunno, it seems like mario is more of a personal self-insert than the avatars because they're never the issue of him yakking on about things the player might not agree with. other than that...i guess it depends a lot on how much the player personifies with their avatar...i dunno.

I didn't really have any particular attachment to my avatar's partner, since it's not me. I don't see any problems if avatar pairings turn up in another game.

Viewing a player-created avatar as literally "myself" opens up a can of insatiable worms that I've never been fond of dealing with, this being one of the more ridiculously contrived among them (re "'I' coupled with X in X1, so now when 'I' couple with Y in Y2, 'I' am cheating on X)

When I pursue a romantic option in interactive media, I do it to see where the story goes with it; essentially, to see content (hopefully, content that I''ll find interesting, but anyway). There could easily be some element of fantasizing about what it'd be like to be in that relationship myself, but that's more a matter of allowing the path I've chosen in [insert media] to charge my imagination, than to attempt to possess something immaterial. I'm doing my best with what content I'm given to create role-playing characters, in other words.

My Commander Shepard, my Avatar (Robin), my Nameless One and my Niko Bellic (and who they get together with, if anybody) don't really mix in my head.

Edited by Rehab

Yeah, that's not a problem. I assign no great love to my "waifus". Besides, say I really did feel that my avatar married Cordelia and life is great and my avatar loves her very much. Making a new avatar in FE52 wouldn't be that same avatar anyway even if he/she looked identical and bore the same name. Nor would it be me. I'm not (and my avatar's) not cheating on Cordelia if I marry some other woman in a totally different game.

I don't understand people who get attached to their waifus and husbandos to a ridiculous extent even in Awakening. I mean ... they're pixels. And my avatar isn't me. (I'm certainly not a dude.) Answer be no.

what the hell? incredibly odd topic.

but, given your brief explanation of what you mean (because i have no idea what transuniversal marriage is), i can answer that i don't give a fuck. i do not live vicariously through any virtual characters. i see my avatars as separate characters all-together, just another part of the game.

anyone that "falls in love" with fictional characters most likely has issues needing to be worked out. attachment to any characters in a video game to that degree means that the players is taking things much farther than any of the developers anticipated.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I'm still a bit confused, but I think he's referring to, like, when you replay a game but pair up different characters with other characters, and how you would view that.

I dunno, I've considered that to some degree when I play games that have branching paths. I usually just conclude it's like a many-world's kinda thing, where they all happen but only one is being followed presently.

I might feel something in a future Fe game with a marriage system, but that's marred by the fact that pretty much all marriageble female characters in Awakening are shallow one-offs. So no, I would feel nothing for cheating on Anime Stereotype #3 in a future incarnation.

anyone that "falls in love" with fictional characters most likely has issues needing to be worked out. attachment to any characters in a video game to that degree means that the players is taking things much farther than any of the developers anticipated.

lololololololol

Though it's on know your meme so it might not be work safe.

"He has also vowed to have and to hold, for better and for worse, even if another, updated version of the game is released."

Edited by shadowofchaos

I wouldn't even think to feel guilty. In fact, the only reason my avatar ended up married to Lissa was because she was the first female character he reached an S level with.

...okay, i'm going to ask a serious question here. do you actually think about other people's points of view when you make your posts, or are you consistently this close-minded of a person?

...okay, i'm going to ask a serious question here. do you actually think about other people's points of view when you make your posts, or are you consistently this close-minded of a person?

I feel the need to admit to you that lately (that is, for the last few months), a huge majority of my posts have not been very serious (or at least inconsequential opinions on something). If you're alluding to my posts in those "I'm lonely and my life sucks and I'm depressed," topics--because otherwise I don't understand how you'd get that impression of me--then all I can really say is I've been there too, and the suggestions I always give is what worked for me, so obviously I'll continue to suggest them. If you can remember my posts prior to this summer, then kudos to you (because I can't). Perhaps you can pull something up or PM me or something.

I made that post knowing full-well that there are people here that feel they are in love with video game characters (or characters from other works of fiction). I do think it is unhealthy for one to be fixated on works of fiction; should I hide this opinion because it might offend some? I certainly don't think so. They're pixels. Artistic creations with assigned personalities and character growth. They aren't real.

It's okay to experience emotions whilst playing a game. When Sarah dies in the Last of Us, it's fucking sad. It is. But should I think that I'm Joel and grieve as if I had lost my own daughter? Should I pretend I'm a lone soldier who can take down the world's elite forces unit FOXHOUND? To feel a real emotional attachment, so much so to say that you "love" a character, strikes me as someone who is not comfortable with their own skin, or the reality in which they live. This is the impression I'd get if I were to meet someone like this in my daily life.

I was fairly certain that people didn't actually think they loved a video game character(I named my avatar Jake and married him to Anna because IS hadn't done it yet), so I'm just confused to what the point of the question was. I guess, if you REALLY feel strong... feelings? to your fictional partner, then you'd feel guilty?

oh dear

Personally, I have trouble feeling attachment even to people who actually exist. As such, I tend to ignore any emotional aspects of games whatsoever. Characterization and plot and whatnot is cool and stuff, but it's all happening to a bunch of bit players, pixels on a screen.

I find it a bit difficult to imagine that one could identify with an Avatar and NPCs enough to be an issue.

Granted, I never had a married PC outside of Awakening. Marrying your former kids was definitely awkward, though.

I did intend to marry Anomen from Baldur's Gate 2 once, but I couldn't bring myself to readjust my team at that point for a various of reasons. That, and he was a cleric/prick multiclass with less then 17 wisdom.

Edited by BrightBow