Generally, the number of Galeforce units you have is less important than the number of pairs with at least one Galeforce you have. With Avatar-M x gen 2, you have 7 Galepairs, two of which have double Galeforce. With Avatar-F x gen 2, you still have 7 pairs, but there are 3 double Galeforce pairs. With Avatar-F x Chrom, you only get 6 gen 2 Galepairs (one boy will have to be benched- probably Yarne or Gerome), and Morgan can't marry Lucina, but Avatar and Chrom can get 100% DS so they're possibly better than a 2nd Gen pair. With Avatar-M x gen 1, you only have 6 Gen 2 pairs. Avatar can still perform decently when paired with someone like Cordelia or Sumia, but it's not as good as Gen 2. Avatar x Nowi is a special case and fairly complicated. Any non-2nd Gen pairings that give only one Morgan aren't very good (though still serviceable), but if you want to do one anyway then Walhart and Aversa are the best.

It seems like the best option would be either ava-F for 3 double gen 2 galeforce pairs, or is there an advantage to doing ava-m and only getting two? Since all the other options seem sub-optimal (except maybe ava-f with chrom for 100% DS)

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the best option would be either ava-F for 3 double gen 2 galeforce pairs, or is there an advantage to doing ava-m and only getting two? Since all the other options seem sub-optimal (except maybe ava-f with chrom for 100% DS)

You can get 3 double Galeforce pairs with MaMU by delibately benching characters. If MaMU marries gen 1, you bench a girl and have all 3 Galeforce boys marry Galeforce girls. If MaMU marries gen 2, you bench the girl without Galeforce and one of the guys without Galeforce.

When I made the MaMU marrying gen 2 causes you to lose an action comment, I was made the assumption that you'd deploy all gen 2 characters (7 pairs). So the comment was not quite correct. But MaMU marrying gen 1 and benching 1 girl is probably a better use of resources than MaMU marrying gen 2 and benching a boy and a girl.

100% DS is the result of Chrom's Dual Strike+ skill. Any of his wives can get 100% DS. But FeMU has the unique advantage of having a 100% damage proc (Vengeance) to go with the 100% DS. Maribelle can also guarantee results (Assume you will tak retaliation damage and use Lifetaker to restore lost hp), but she can only do so on player phase. She does give an excellent Lucina to support a 3rd gen Morgan if you want to go that route, though.

You can get 3 double Galeforce pairs with MaMU by delibately benching characters. If MaMU marries gen 1, you bench a girl and have all 3 Galeforce boys marry Galeforce girls. If MaMU marries gen 2, you bench the girl without Galeforce and one of the guys without Galeforce.

When I made the MaMU marrying gen 2 causes you to lose an action comment, I was made the assumption that you'd deploy all gen 2 characters (7 pairs). So the comment was not quite correct. But MaMU marrying gen 1 and benching 1 girl is probably a better use of resources than MaMU marrying gen 2 and benching a boy and a girl.

100% DS is the result of Chrom's Dual Strike+ skill. Any of his wives can get 100% DS. But FeMU has the unique advantage of having a 100% damage proc (Vengeance) to go with the 100% DS. Maribelle can also guarantee results (Assume you will tak retaliation damage and use Lifetaker to restore lost hp), but she can only do so on player phase. She does give an excellent Lucina to support a 3rd gen Morgan if you want to go that route, though.

You were right to assume deploy all gen 2 characters though, aren't they better on average due to more class options, certain skill passdowns and higher stat caps? My plan was indeed to use all the gen 2 characters, MU and chrom (since chrom is forced in almost everything anyway). So I guess to clarify, I'm trying to decide if FeMU or MaMU is better going with the above then and the best way to utilize them as such.

For combat, 2nd Gen pairs are generally better, yes, however...

Apo has 20 deployment slots. 13 children + Avatar, Chrom, Olivia (dancer), two Rallybots, and you're up to 18 units. That leaves room for two staffbots, which... Isn't very forgiving when there are 7 pairs you're trying to manage. If you can manage all 7 of those pairs, never bite off more than you can chew, and play carefully, it's very effective, but there's not much room for player error. Unfortunately, there's also not much room for the RNG trolling- if a pair derps hard enough on their procs/DSes, you could wind up killing 3 enemies less than you had planned and need to Rescue them to safety. This is very easy when you have lots of staffbots and very hard when you don't. Since not all pairs can secure 100% DS and 100% proc rates, it's actually not a bad idea to trade some of your combat pairs for skirmishers.

There's also the fact that Apo likes to group enemies in groups of 5. While that does give some RNG leniency with 7 pairs (missed a proc? No problem, just send in more units to clear out all the enemies), it also means that two pairs with guaranteed results and staff support perform just as well.

Hi all, long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I'm working on a Hard-Classic run for postgame completion. Been gleaning a lot of very helpful information from this thread -- read maybe a couple dozen pages -- and I have what I think is a pretty conventional pairing set. No points for originality, but hopefully some for effectiveness:

• MaMU x Lucina

• Chrom x Sumia

• Gaius x Tharja

• Donnel x Sully

• Lon'qu x Cordelia

• Vaike x Cherche

• Ricken x Lissa

• Stahl x Olivia

• Virion x Maribelle

• Frederick x Panne

• Gregor x Miriel

• Henry x Nowi

Only one I wasn't sure about was Henry x Nowi; was going to do Gregor at first but realized I needed Gregor for Miriel.

My second generation pairings are looking like:

• Lucina x MaMU (physical)
  • Brady x Morgan-F (magical)
  • Owain x Cynthia (magical)
  • Inigo x Nah (physical)
  • Yarne x Kjelle (physical)
  • Gerome x Severa (physical)
  • Laurent x Noire (magical)

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give these a once-over and see if there's anything missing/sub-optimal. And thanks to everyone in this thread for posting! Your information has been very helpful.

Edited by Pilcrow

@Pilcrow: You could swap Vaike and Henry to get Henry/Cherche and Vaike/Nowi. Henry!Gerome is almost identical to Vaike!Gerome, only he gets Dark Mage for Anathema. For Henry!Nah vs. Vaike!Nah, Nah loses Troubadour and Dark Mage, but gains Knight and Mercenary, which is a solid alternative.

Also infrequently posting, but I've run into a little pairing problem myself. I'm debating either Vaike!Gerome vs. Stahl!Gerome as a partner for Lon'qu!Severa. His role at the moment is acting as a physical support, but I always like to change things up every now and then, so I favour flexibility as well. I'm measuring up the pros and cons as such:

Stahl!Gerome:

+Less overlap in skillset - can run things like Vantage, Luna, Dual Guard, Aegis, etc.

+Really good modifiers across the board

+Could benefit Nah a bit more (My configuration currently has Kellam!Nah if I'm doing Vaike!Gerome, and I'm inclined to think that Vaike!Nah is a bit better)

-No Berserker, so he can't get Axefaire, making his best physical support either Bowfaire Warrior or Assassin.

Vaike!Gerome:

+Really high strength because I like seeing big numbers

+Access to Berserker

+Access to Thief for movement skills

-Skillset outside of support is a bit lacking

-Worse magic modifiers in case Severa goes Sorcerer

If anyone wants to see the rest of the pairings I have so far for that run, I can post them.

@Pilcrow: You could swap Vaike and Henry to get Henry/Cherche and Vaike/Nowi. Henry!Gerome is almost identical to Vaike!Gerome, only he gets Dark Mage for Anathema. For Henry!Nah vs. Vaike!Nah, Nah loses Troubadour and Dark Mage, but gains Knight and Mercenary, which is a solid alternative.

Also infrequently posting, but I've run into a little pairing problem myself. I'm debating either Vaike!Gerome vs. Stahl!Gerome as a partner for Lon'qu!Severa. His role at the moment is acting as a physical support, but I always like to change things up every now and then, so I favour flexibility as well. I'm measuring up the pros and cons as such:

Henry!Nah is pretty good, she has 3 in both Str and Mag mods, good Skl, and can inherit Axefaire, giving her several good support options (Tomefaire for Sage/Sorc, Axefaire for Wyvern). Henry!Gerome can actually do that too, he makes a great Berserker but also has a +2 Mag mod alongside Sage/TF which most people seem to forget about.

Stahl!Gerome serves best as a Bowfaire Warrior (Assassin is OK, but the loss in Str is pretty bad), while Vaike!Gerome can be a Zerker. The main difference is Warrior having better Hit and Zerker giving +Spd. If you want to make Severa a Lancefaire Wyvern, she needs a Zerker, if she's going to be a Swordfaire Hero then Warrior is fine. Either way, she'll need All+2 to hit 75 Spd.

Magical Severa should be DF or Sage (Virion), Sorcs are slow and don't have enough Skl to be worth it. Lon'qu!Severa is best staying physical though, if you want magical use Virion instead for Tomefaire.

Pilcrow, if you put Libra on Inigo instead of Stahl then he can switch between physical and magical anytime, which suits any Nah well.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Pilcrow, if you put Libra on Inigo instead of Stahl then he can switch between physical and magical anytime, which suits any Nah well.

Is Libra!Inigo decent, then? I actually really dislike Stahl's barf-green hair color so if there's a decent alternative I'd much rather roll with that.

Edited by Pilcrow

Is Libra!Inigo decent, then? I actually really dislike Stahl's barf-green hair color so if there's a decent alternative I'd much rather roll with that.

Libra!Inigo locks Inigo's favorite proc to Vengeance, which is a little bit inconvenient than Luna.

On the other hand, Libra!Inigo can be a good tank such as Nostank, VVDS+, 100% Critic, but the mods requires him equipping All+2 or something like that to reach those tank usage's thresholds.

Stahl!Gerome serves best as a Bowfaire Warrior (Assassin is OK, but the loss in Str is pretty bad), while Vaike!Gerome can be a Zerker. The main difference is Warrior having better Hit and Zerker giving +Spd. If you want to make Severa a Lancefaire Wyvern, she needs a Zerker, if she's going to be a Swordfaire Hero then Warrior is fine. Either way, she'll need All+2 to hit 75 Spd.

Magical Severa should be DF or Sage (Virion), Sorcs are slow and don't have enough Skl to be worth it. Lon'qu!Severa is best staying physical though, if you want magical use Virion instead for Tomefaire.

OK. I've done some calcs and more comparisons regarding Stahl!Rome vs. Vaike!Rome. Gonna copy it down here, assuming Braves. (And highest MT weapons, just because) I think most of the calcs are correct, but if not let me know.

Notable Exclusive Skills
Stahl: Vantage, Astra, Swordfaire, Discipline, Aegis, Luna, Dual Guard, Bowfaire, Bowbreaker
Vaike: Gamble, Axefaire, Movement+1, Lucky 7, Acrobat
Stahl!Gerome: Bowfaire Warrior
64, 40, 53, 50, 54, 55, 43
Forged Brave Bow: 15 MT, 85 Hit
Faire + AS+2 + Strength+2 + tonic + mastery = 13
Skill: 53 + 2 + 2(tonic) = 57
Total Might: 92 (96 with Parthia, just comparing each with the highest possible MT. It's impractical but w/e)
Total Hit: 112.5 + 85 + 5 = 202.5, 217.5 with S (static)
Dual Strike with Lon'qu!Severa (assuming no stat boosts)
Hero: 54, 40, 62, 58, 55, 49, 44
Wyvern: 58, 40, 54, 54, 55, 55, 38
Hero DS Rate: 89.75
Wyvern DS Rate: 87.75
Vaike!Gerome: Axefaire Berserker
67, 39, 46, 55, 55, 47, 37
Forged Brave Axe: 17 MT, 75 Hit
Faire + AS+2 + Strength+2 + tonic + mastery = 12
Skill: 46 + 2 + 2(tonic) = 50
Total Might: 96 (Forged Hector's Axe = 101, because I roll with that sometimes for fun)
Total Hit: 102.5 + 75 + 10 = 187.5, 202.5 with S (202.5/217.5 with WTA, 172.5/187.5 with WTD)
Dual Strike with Hero Lon'qu!Severa
Hero DS Rate: 88%
Wyvern DS Rate: 86%
To 75 speed with Lon'qu Severa (not assuming AS+2)
Hero: 58 + 10 (rallies) = 68
Tonic = 70
Pair up (A/S Support)
-Berserker (8) = 78
-Warrior (3) = 73
Wyvern: 54 + 10 (rallies) = 64
Tonic = 66
Pair up (A/S Support)
-Berserker (8) = 74
-Warrior (3) = 69

The difference doesn't seem terribly huge in regards to hit or dual strike rate, but a lot more significant when it comes to might. The Warrior's lower strength cap hurts it quite a bit despite bows being immune to WTD. Berserker support also seems superior in regards to reaching a certain speed, so for the time being, it looks like I'm leaning towards Vaike as Gerome's dad for here. (It may mean that I have to rejig my other pairings a bit more, since I plan them based on having something different for each file, but it happens)

When doing Hit calculations, don't just leave it as the unit's listed Hit, that's not useful. It needs to be compared to all the high-Avo enemies (which are coincidentally the ones where it's the most important for your attacks to connect) to mean something.

In this case, the Avos you care about are:

Anna (throne): 157

Helswath Berserker (throne): 148

Invincisorc: 139

Anna (no throne): 137

Nightmare Sniper: 135

Helswath Berserker (no throne): 128

Forseti Sage: 120

Everyone else is below 120 and usually doesn't matter. In general, this means you need at least 220 Hit to be safe against mooks, which shows just how much of a difference Warrior makes over Berserker. You don't get support bonuses in the back either, meaning Berserker Gerome will often find himself reduced to Stone Edge levels of reliability. Don't forget to take Hit+20 into account as well, behind Bowfaire it's Stahl's strongest offering- stuff like Aegis, Luna and Vantage are useless on a support unit. Discipline doesn't even do anything up front...

Also, while 75 is the big Spd threshold for doubling anything in the game, 69 is the next tier down and only misses Anna and the two NSes. It's not that big of a loss for most units as you really only need 1-2 pairs max who are capable of handling those. And before automatically discounting All+2 from Severa's Spd calcs, also keep in mind that she's one of the few units who has a free skillslot for it- with natural Vengeance as her proc, she uses LB/GF/Vengeance/Faire and won't miss out on anything big by running it.

She's also 1 over the 75 Spd threshold as a Wyvern with it, meaning her dad can be replaced by Virion if you value Tomefaire over Vantage or want to put Lon'qu elsewhere.

Vaike!Gerome (LB/Agg/AF/All+2/Str+2) has 50(base) +7(mods) +10(LB) +10(Rally) +10(Agg) +5(AF) +2(All+2) +2(Str+2) +2(tonic) +18(Brave Axe) =116 atk. I'm not sure where you lost those 20 points, but you might want to consider doing all factors of a calculation in one line to avoid dropping steps.

Also, here's a fun little Vaike!Gerome vs Stahl!Gerome comparison. I'll pit them as support units against the NS and see how much atk on the lead unit is needed to ORKO, assuming 2+4 attacks.

Vaike!Gerome has 116 atk and does 23 damage per swing. Skl: 35(base) +1(mods) +10(LB) +10(Rally) +2(All+2) +2(tonic) =60, Lck: 45(base) +10(LB) +14(Rally) +2(All+2) +2(tonic) =73, Hit: 126(base) +85(B.Axe) -135 =76 listed Hit. Adjusted for True Hit, that's 88.72%.

Stahl!Gerome@Warrior (LB/BF/All+2/Hit+20). Atk: 48(base) +6(mods) +10(LB) +10(Rally) +10(Agg) +5(BF) +2(All+2) +2(tonic) +17(B.Bow) =110, which does 20 damage per shot.

Skl: 42(base) +1(mods) +10(LB) +10(Rally) +2(All+2) +2(tonic) =67. Lck: 45(base) -1(mods) +10(LB) +14(Rally) +2(All+2) +2(tonic) =72. Hit: 136(base) +90(B.Bow) +20(Hit+20) -135 =111 aka overkill.

In both cases it's a clean ORKO even if the lead does no damage and can't double. The difference is that Stahl!Gerome has a 100% Hitrate, while Vaike!Gerome has 88.72% (a ~61.96% chance for all four hits to connect). It doesn't even matter that Stahl!Gerome doesn't give a Spd boost because the highest Def enemy in the game can't take his hits. Against Anna, his shots do 26 damage (Throne) and 27 without, and have an 89 Hitrate (97.69% true) with the Throne and 100% without, still an ORKO. Against Thronie, he has 98 Hit (99.94%). Severa needs to chip in 16 damage total for that ORKO, but Vaike!Gerome can't pull it off unassisted either.

Finally, keep in mind that a Severa who doesn't need All+2 can run Anathema (or even Hex) for Gerome's sake.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

post-10637-0-56203300-1402605405_thumb.png

Does this look reasonable enough for attempting things like Apotheosis? Cynthia is probably gonna be a staffbot. I could probably provide an explanation for why I chose my pairings if called upon, but if there are any glaring weaknesses then could someone point them out please? Thanks.

MaMU is +Mag -Str

Cynthia with Aether+Luna is too good to waste, if you're benching a 2nd gen magical girl then Nah is much better to leave. Kellam!Owain is really slow, Libra is free so you could put him on instead (or give Libra to Inigo and put Ricken on Owain). Gregor gives Brady backwards mods, I'd recommend Virion instead. Tharja is useless in Apo and Noire doesn't need Avatar to be good, so you may want to reconsider that (the only reason I'd do Avatar x Tharja is to give all of Noire, Kjelle and Nah Galeforce, but all setups for that give Avatar a bad wife, if you're going to do it anyway do Avatar x Nowi because Nah has the most to gain here). Vaike!Severa is a bit unconventional but should work fine. Other than that, it's all good.

Keep in mind that Apo can be done with no pairings at all and most of these are just nitpicks for getting as much performance out of your team as possible. Basically bad pairing don't hurt your units, they just don't fully realize their potential. If there's something you're just doing for aesthetic reasons and want to keep it, that's fine.

1. Gregor!Brady gets Armsthrift.

If AT is your purpose then it's OK.

AT!Brady has weaker output but still practical.

Not only Kellam!Owain, but Kellam!Inigo has Spd short.

Sage's Spd mod threshold to double the fastest Spd enemies without All+2 is +1.

Neither of Kellam!2nd-Galeboy has it.

So if you want Luna on both Owain and Inigo, you have to sacrifice one of them's Spd to double those enemies. Otherwise as Czar said, pick Libra instead.

2. MaMU!Noire gets Mag+8 and Gale+TF.

In this case I'll suggest Gaius!Nah and Fred!Yarne / Virion!Yarne instead.

Fred!Yarne is the most optimized Yarne if we don't consider hit issues.

Virion!Yarne has 2 Str weaker, but he gains Hit+20 and some other hit boost skills to ensure him 100% hit to anyone on Dual Strike side.

For MaMU x Sully / Tharja / Nowi,

Kjelle doesn't care anything and she won't get an amazing mods from MaMU so MaMU!Kjelle is a waste.

Noire gets TF & Mag+8 from MaMU but this choice leaves Nah far from hi-activated Procs.

Nah gets everything and a medium Mag+6 mod from MaMU and all of the 3 gets Gale+Proc.

3. As Czar said, benching Cynthia is less practical than benching Nah.

Actually every Gale-girl is a good staffbot. What they need is flying-type & movement & Shockwave+Lancefaire, which is already provided from Falcon Knight class itself.

Doing Gregor!Brady for AT optimization is fine, but it that's important than consider putting Vaike on a different female so his AT isn't wasted.

The only females that benefit from Vaike's AT are Kjelle, Nah and Noire. Kjelle already has Donnel, Nah uses DS+ which don't really need AT, and Noire with Vaike doesn't get Vantage to become an excellent sorceror.

The whole thing with Kellam!Owain is me perhaps putting too much want on DG+. Is it really that good?

Vantage Sorcs aren't good in Apo, and outside Vantage doesn't make that big of a difference. Vantage/Vengeance is, but 100% DS is a prerequisite for that and Noire can't get that while magical. Besides, her mods will be physical anyway.

Support units attack twice as much as lead units. If you're going to put AT on anyone, it should be them.

GK isn't wanted for DG+, it's wanted for Luna. DG+ is a nice anti-RNG skill that helps compensate for player error, but when thresholds are on the line it's the first thing to go. Most units don't have room for it, anyway.

So if supported by Bowfaire Warrior Stahl!Gerome, would Wyvern Lord or Hero be more beneficent?

Predicted final classes for kids: (decided to switch up some pairs)

Maribelle!Morgan Sorceror supported by Ricken!Inigo Sage.

Gregor!Laurent Sorceror supported by Sumia!Lucina Dark Flier.

Avatar!Brady Sorceror supported by Donnel!Noire Dark Flier.

Vaike!Kjelle General supported by Gaius!Yarne Berserker? Not sure.

Frederick!Nah Manakete supported by someone!Owain unknown final class.

Lon'qu!Severa unknown supported by Stahl!Gerome Warrior.

Cynthia staffbot. I'm a big fan of Nah and Manaketes, so I would rather have Cynthia benched. However with Owain supporting I have no idea what to do with him with the possible fathers I have left.

Edited by Bloo

Hero can double Anna/NS and has better Hit, though the latter shouldn't matter. Wyvern can double all but those three, has more Mov, and uses Lances instead of Swords. It's your call, but remember you can change class after you make your pairings (and even mid-battle) so just experiment and see what you like best.

Sage has a lot more Skl than Sorc and I'd recommend doing that for Morgan instead. Same goes for Brady, especially since he gets no +Skl from Noire. You could also consider it for Lucina, Laurent doesn't care about doubling and would rather have stronger DSes. Kjelle and Yarne have no Galeforce, they both need to be paired with units that have it. Nah should be a support unit without Galeforce. If you have Libra free, give him to Owain.

If you like Nah/Manaketes that much, consider Avatar x Nowi. You can also have Avatar fight with the leftover child at A support, which is probably better than benching both of them. If you do that, give Gaius to Noire, Donnel to Kjelle, and Fred to Yarne.

A couple quick questions came up while I was playing, and I'm hoping some people here can chip in with insight.

1. For a MaMU x Lucina pair, I've got V/V, LB, and Axefaire so far as skills on MaMU. What should the fifth skill be? Normally I would use Aggressor but it seems a bit out of place (though not totally useless, ofc) for a V/V unit.
  2. In the above pair, what are some good class options for Lucina? I assume her skills would be DStr+, GF, Aether, RK, LB?
  3. For a Henry!Nah (in which Henry passed Axefaire), and Nah is going physical probably ending as Wyvern Lord, what does her skill loadout look like? LB, DS+, Axefaire, and what else?

Thanks!

I should state that I have all relevant DLC.

Edited by Pilcrow

Avatar and Lucina: depends what Avatar's class is and who Lucina's mother is, but VV and Axes -don't- mix. Celica's Gale is pretty much required for any conventional VV setup, there are too many ranged enemies for 1-range to be possible. Avatar and Lucina should both be Sages for the best VV.

Anyway, with no holds barred Avatar should use LB/V/V/TF/All+2 and Lucina should use either LB/GF/Luna/Aether/DS+ or LB/TF/Mag+2/Skl+2/All+2.

Nah: LB/AF/All+2/Str+2 or Deliverer/Anathema or Mov+1. She should be paired with physical Inigo (probably Stahl) for best results. Libra!Inigo can work too though. If you want to make Nah magical though (she has +3 Mag and Tomefaire), just swap Faires and Str+2 for Mag+2 if applicable, she'll perform better and fit on more husbands (magical Inigo, and Owain/Brady).

Alright, assuming Lucina is going physical only, what is a decent loadout for MaMU? Should I just build him as a physical hard support? If so, what class does Lucina take?

I'm also having a hard time deciding on Noire & Laurent -- do people usually build Laurent as VV?

Edited by Pilcrow