Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

Geez man, you guys always get a hard ass group. Seems like tradition, now. I'll root for you against CR! :3

Well, the 2010 World Cup group we had (England, Algeria, Slovenia, and us) was far from the group of death, to the point where we said "Ok, if we don't make it out of this group, it's not a disappointment. It's a failure". Thankfully Landycakes saved us from embarrassment.

Get the feeling they'll show up vs. Costa Rica. whether they'll get any points from it? Anyone's guess

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

This is my new favourite figure of speech

Well, the 2010 World Cup group we had (England, Algeria, Slovenia, and us) was far from the group of death, to the point where we said "Ok, if we don't make it out of this group, it's not a disappointment. It's a failure". Thankfully Landycakes saved us from embarrassment.

Get the feeling they'll show up vs. Costa Rica. whether they'll get any points from it? Anyone's guess

9d900350478dc8bfa5c054828705e819.png

Meanwhile, amidst all this major tournament excitement/frustration at how 'Rogic/Jedinak/Mooy totally dominated England in the middle of the park' was inevitably eclipsed by 'rashford did a thing!!' it's another hour until Australia smashes Greece. Hilariously, Apostolos Giannou - Greek-born, Australia-raised, capped once in a friendly for Greece and then most recently in an actual international for Australia - is probably going to be paraded up front against them in one of the two fixtures. I really, really want a reliable goalscorer who isn't Tim Cahill, and in theory Giannou, Maclaren and a fit Juric can become those guys before the 2018 World Cup.

Seriously, I know Colombia is 3rd in the world

Are you actually being serious?

It's not like Colombia is a bad team or anything but 3rd in the world seriously overrates them.

It's not like Colombia is a bad team or anything but 3rd in the world seriously overrates them.

Just FIFA rankings shenanigans.

It's a mathematical thingy, so most people just ignore it.

If only it didn't dictate the first seeds for the World Cup...

Colombia is an excellent side especially right now but FIFA rankings can get weird as hell because they only take recent results into account

Expect more european nations at the top once the euros kick off

Edited by fuccboi

Belgium of all people is number two currently. Just can't take those rankings seriously at all.

On other news Brazil tied against Ecuador. They are doing good right now in the World Cup qualifiers but come on. Dunga is such a horrible coach.

Let's see, CONCACAF! How well are you handling the Copa America? :^_^:

>Mistakenly plays Chile's anthem instead of Uruguay's

>Mexican fans chanting homophobic remarks to the goalie and throwing bottles to the Uruguayan players

>4th asistant's sign does not show the number of the players during substitution

"CONMEBOL is awful" :Kappa:

Edited by Ken Masters

Let's see, CONCACAF! How well are you handling the Copa America? :^_^:

>Mistakenly plays Chile's anthem instead of Uruguay's

>Mexican fans chanting homophobic remarks to the goalie and throwing bottles to the Uruguayan players

>4th asistant's sign does not show the number of the players during substitution

"CONMEBOL is awful" :Kappa:

Oh, we know full well how awful CONCACAF is. The terrible officiating at this tournament? Yeah, it's par for the course in CONCACAF.

I personally believe CONMEBOL isn't awful, far from it. In fact, I think they're the best confederation top to bottom in the world. Even relative minnows like Bolivia and Venezuela would be able to qualify for the World Cup if they were in certain other confederations.

On a side note, CONCACAF got their first win this tournament....bad news is that not only was it Mexico, but also Rafa Marquez scored. ANYBODY BUT HIM PLEASE.

Edited by Bullwine85

What's wrong with Rafa Marquez?

Often times is a dirty player, particularly against the US (his red cards in 2002 and in 2009 vs the USA are infamous for leaping high, studs up tackles). Came to MLS and acted REALLY whiny, often throwing teammates under the bus while not playing well at all, and often made stupid fouls out of frustration while refusing to take the blame for himself. http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/4856/keith-hickey/2012/12/13/3600507/keith-hickey-rafa-marquezs-tenure-in-mls-was-a-huge-success

Compare and contrast to Cuahtemoc Blanco, who also played in MLS, but REALLY gave 100% effort and left Chicago Fire as a hero, even though he only played one season with them. Also players like Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill, who also played for NYRB, but gave it their maximum effort and did whatever they could with them, and NYRB fans have nothing but great memories of them.

Edited by Bullwine85

CONMEBOL runs pretty well by virtue of having like a million years of experience and has a lot of quality football but it's, as is often the case in South America, corrupt as all fuck

Edit: and by running things i strictly mean running things. CONMEBOL does... A lot of silly shit when it comes to tournament structures and the organization's structure but hey we can hold a match usually

Edited by fuccboi

To be fair, this isn't a CONCACAF-only problem. It's something somehow endemic to most Latin American countries, which is very sad.

And on the bright side, the Mexican goalkeepers are rallying to convince their fans to stop chanting that kind of shit.

CONMEBOL does have it's fair ammount of dirty shit. Boca Juniors last year was banned from our continental cup, Libertadores, because fans pepper sprayed their rival team's locker room. The original ban was of 3 years IIRC, but they are playing this years' tournament fine and well. And are on the semifinals.

Fuck... Stephen Keshi died, the only black African to ever manage at a World Cup. He was only 54. Rest in Peace.

:( I remember his Nigerian teams playing really well, sad to see that he's gone

Also, still sore from last night, being part of the AO section for the US vs. Costa Rica game last night was an amazing experience! Especially since the 4-0 win made us a LOT happier to put it bluntly, more optimistic than what we were like after the Colombia match, maybe Colombia was that good? Either way, that Paraguay match is going to be a massive showdown, as Paraguay will be going all out, knowing that a draw will likely send the US through (unless Costa Rica decide to score like six goals on Colombia for fun, and I doubt that will hapen)

Just when you thought the Euros would start with a snoozer...Payet scores an amazing goal!

Also, just set my alarm for tomorrow so I can get up in time for the next Euro match

Lads, England bottled it again

Only way that ending could have been more English is if it was a knockout game, and they lost on penalties

Solid stuff by John Brooks, and Zardes had a first touch that didn't sky off into space.

I know, it was weird. Zardes was.....decent?!?!?!

Shame Yedlin's not going to be avaliable for the QF though. Why did he have to be so stupid to start the 2nd half?

EDIT: With Costa Rica's 3-2 win over Colombia, this means the US have won Group A and will play in Seattle on Thursday! I expect a great atmosphere for that one! Even if the ticket prices drive the crowds away like they have so far

Edited by Bullwine85

That one NEVER gets old.

Brazil getting eliminated from Copa America. Our squad has been dead since Roberto Carlos took his sweet time adjusting his socks back in 2006. We are only seeing a rotting corpse.

CBF is nothing but trash and our squad will be likewise as long as shit is in command.