Dating sim?

ZemZem

When I was on the bus going home, I was talking to my friend about FE13. I told him about the pairing mechanics and how they had a huge effect on the gameplay, and he laughed, shook his head, and bluntly called it a dating sim.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shallow minds

#notudissyitoagen

And before anyone start it, yes FE has always been a bit "Dating Sim"-ish ever since that thing known as support convo exist, so I don't really think FE13 is all that different on this front

The context is different, but its still there

Edited by JSND

I disagree with that statement, while YES, it has some dating sim ELEMENTS that doesn't make it a full-out dating sim. May as well say that Mass Effect and the Persona series are dating sims with that logic.

And before anyone start it, yes FE has always been a bit "Dating Sim"-ish ever since that thing known as support convo exist, so I don't really think FE13 is all that different on this front

The context is different, but its still there

This was what I was kinda thinking. Plus, the whole DLC deal (I'm looking at you, swimsuits.).

The units with their shallow stereotypical and wacky personalities definitely invoke the feeling of a dating sim in me.
Especially because of how the female characters are designed, who seem to be modeled to fulfill the obligatory fetishes in these games.
The annoying little sister, the reserved moeblob, the academic, the tomboy, the tsundere, the seductress, the loli, etc.

And it's not like the mechanic isn't embarrassingly shoehorned in.
This game has no vision like FE4 had about the history of families through a war lasting several generations. The mechanic is there for it's own sake and adds nothing but problems with the setting and plot.

So yeah, I say calling it a Dating sim is fairly accurate.

Edited by BrightBow

The units with their shallow

Whut?

stereotypical

Whut?

and wacky personalities definitely invoke the feeling of a dating sim in me.

Whut?

Especially because of how the female characters are designed, who seem to be modeled to fulfill the obligatory fetishes in these games.

Whut?

The annoying little sister, the reserved moeblob, the academic, the tomboy, the tsundere, the seductress, the loli, etc.

So if people have personality, it's bad, and if people don't have personality, it's bad?

And it's not like the mechanic isn't embarrassingly shoehorned in.

Whut?

This game has no vision like FE4 had about the history of families through a war lasting several generations. The mechanic is there for it's own sake

Yep. And it gets implemented well, adds to the plot in an interesting way, and leads to another branch of gameplay decisions.

and adds nothing but problems with the setting and plot.

Whut?

So yeah, I say calling it a Dating sim is fairly accurate.

Do you even know what a dating sim is? A single optional mechanic involving producing babies is totally unrelated to the idea of a dating sim. Not to mention your random irrelevant tirade against the game is entirely tangential to the conclusion that it's a dating sim.

The fact that during the confessions, the characters suddenly talk to YOU the player and not the avatar when during the rest of the game, you are represented by the avatar, it is clear that IS wanted to drwa in the Dating Sim crowd.

So if people have personality, it's bad, and if people don't have personality, it's bad?

Those are not personalities. Those are shitty, gimmicky sterotypes meant to substitue actual personalities.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Whut?

Whut?

Whut?

Whut?

Whut?

Yep. And it gets implemented well, adds to the plot in an interesting way, and leads to another branch of gameplay decisions.

Whut?

Do you even know what a dating sim is? A single optional mechanic involving producing babies is totally unrelated to the idea of a dating sim. Not to mention your random irrelevant tirade against the game is entirely tangential to the conclusion that it's a dating sim.

BrightBow+FE13. This isn't new.

Edited by 1% critted

BrightBow+FE13. This isn't new.

Eh, true. Still I don't really get why he needs to complain about everything in this game - for example the supports in general are very well written, lots of little bits of detail about histories, personality and the like come out in them especially compared to... well, probably all of the previous FEs. Calling them all stereotypes is just wrong. They have stereotypical elements, but so does, oh, every fictional character ever.

Edit:

Tables should become I_eat_Whut

Whut?

Edited by Tables

I definitely have to disagree that the supports are better than all other FE games. Maybe FE6 but that's it. And the characters are far more sterotypical than any of the previous games. It's like a game filled with Ilyanas. I can forgive the occasional slip up but this goes above and beyond.

I definitely have to disagree that the supports are better than all other FE games. Maybe FE6 but that's it. And the characters are far more sterotypical than any of the previous games. It's like a game filled with Ilyanas. I can forgive the occasional slip up but this goes above and beyond.

Honestly, I can see why they chose to go such a route, even if it's not the best route to choose.

You've got a cast of 50+, with about 5 of them at the most holding any sort of serious plot importance. The main story is chalk-full of these 4 or 5 characters, leaving the rest practically in the dust.

What they tried to go was make them more memorable in the eyes of the player, instead of having them go, "Oh, so these are the important ones? I'll only use them." And the best way to differentiate each individual character is through that method: by giving each character a gimmick and having them revolve around it.

It's not a stellar method of characterization if you leave it at that, not at all. But if you embellish on it, it could be done well.