Which FE do you think had the better avatar customization, FE12 or FE13?

IceBrand

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the two do you think is better.

• Heroes of Light and Shadow.
    • Awakening.

I don't think it's that people don't like the tactician class, just they would've like the extra step of picking what you start with, even if it were limited...

Me, I like Tactician, it's the closest I'll get to the Mage Fighters from FE4/5, but even still, I probably would've started with something else

Edited by Soledai

FE12's stat changes are referenced in dialogue ("I was orphaned" etc). I don't think FE13 says "So you were a -Def, huh? What's that like?"

I guess it's because FE13's seems more intended to be a self-insert.

FE12 appeals to me pretty strongly by actually giving the player some input in writing the character, and into the way the player conceives of them beyond their appearance and function.

That said, while the customization is better, it feels a bit odd to have a character who can be supplied one of many origins, personalities and aspirations, and then limit the number of choices they can make to mostly standard, linear fire emblem fare.

FE12's stat changes are referenced in dialogue ("I was orphaned" etc). I don't think FE13 says "So you were a -Def, huh? What's that like?"

I guess it's because FE13's seems more intended to be a self-insert.

The idea that the term "self-insert" doesn't usually mean "PC given a wide enough range of choices on how to act, in a wide enough range of situations, that the player has the chance to do 'what they themselves would do' in that situation," as often as it seems to tend towards meaning "PC who the game refers to as YOU," feels kinda depressing.

(Not that you're wrong or that this is trying to be snippy, for the record)