Project dondon playthrough

Redwall

Doing a playthrough of dondon's hack. I'll record videos or make screenshots if there is interest, but for now, I'll just type some notes.

Chapter 1: 8/8 turns

Recruited Barth on turn 1 and set up a Rescue-chain to send Hector up the left, following the hint in dondon's topic, to recruit Dorcas on turn 3. Barth and Astor went up the right, but I needed Astor to slow down a bit to take a Vulnerary from Barth; I can't see a way of otherwise getting a Vulnerary to Astor without taking an extra turn.

Back towards the LHS, I set up another Rescue-chain on turn 4 to get Hector a bit further up. I used Matthew to Rescue Serra during turn 6 and pass her to Oswin for Hector to recruit on turn 7. Dorcas and Oswin teamed up for five attempted hits on the boss (two Short Bow hits during turn 7 EP, two more during turn 8 PP, and one Short Spear from Oswin on turn 8), with four needing to connect. Hector recruited Lucius on turn 8 from the escape square.

I picked up all the chests and got all the conversations, but was not satisfied with the item allocation: Matthew and Astor ended up with the Shine and Physic, respectively, at the end of turn 8, forcing me to start Chapter 2 in an uncomfortable way.

For this reason, I'll redo the level. In dondon's topic, Silith's posts and screenshots suggest it is possible to recruit Lucius on turn 6 (while sending Hector up the left) and get both the Shine and the Physic on him by the end of the clear on turn 8. Hmm.

Edited by Nessie

there's some trick i saw that involved having hector talking to lucius on the same turn that he waited on the final square (unless this is a different build of the hack than i'm used to, which i doubt based on your description)

idr how to pull it off though

there's some trick i saw that involved having hector talking to lucius on the same turn that he waited on the final square

Yeah, that's exactly what I did; the issue is that this prevents Lucius from starting Chapter 2 with the Shine and Physic, though I guess it's possible this doesn't slow down the Chapter 2 completion.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did; the issue is that this prevents Lucius from starting Chapter 2 with the Shine and Physic, though I guess it's possible this doesn't slow down the Chapter 2 completion.

...right i'm good at reading

the implication, though (totally intended) was that there's a way to recruit lucius on turn 7 (again idr and i'm not 100% certain but i think there is)

I recorded Chapter 1 and the output video (saved as a .mp4) was a whopping 1.4 GB in spite of me only taking 6.5 minutes in the video. Hmm. I'm using a different emulator from most of you guys, but what is normally done to trim down file size?

I used my emulator's built-in video-recording function. According to Wikipedia, my emulator (Mednafen) is more or less based on VBA, which I think most of you use.

Maybe this has something of relevance?

Initializing sound...
 Using "ALSA" audio driver with SexyAL's default device selection.
  Bits: 16
  Rate: 48000
  Channels: 2
  Byte order: CPU Native
  Buffer size: 1560 sample frames(32.500000 ms)
  Latency: 1560 sample frames(32.500000 ms)
  Period size: 60 sample frames(1.250000 ms)

Starting QuickTime recording to file "ch1dd.mp4":
 Video width: 480
 Video height: 320
 Video codec: cscd
 Sound rate: 48000
 Sound channels: 2
Edited by Nessie

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've rendering the output video as AstraLunaSol suggested but got essentially a blank video; I think I can figure this out myself, by the time I upload the next video (this is with kdenlive, not Camtasia). For Chapter 1 I went with a pretty low-tech solution: a desktop recorder.

Reliability can be improved somewhat by getting the Shine to Lucius, but I haven't figured out how to do that while clearing in eight turns. I've settled for having the Shine end on Serra.

If I had to guess why Astra's suggestion didn't work, it's because you're using the CamStudio codec (look up cscd). I'm not sure how to optimize it, though.