Which do you recommend?

Dayni

42 members have voted

1. 1. How should I play the Archanea games?

• FE1, then 3
    • FE3 Alone
    • FE11, then 12
    • Some weird amalgamation (Post it, because I'll have no idea otherwise)
    • Don't bother
  2. 2. Should I touch Gaiden?

• Yes
    • No

So, first topic here...

I got into the series a while back while in a RPG fix. I've already finished 7, 8, 13 and am about halfway through 6 (Don't have it to hand, so I can't finish it yet). I recently decided to take a look at the earlier games, and I can't seem to find enough about the differences in the Archanea/Akeneia games (though quite a bit on why Gaiden sucks) so I decided to ask you, who'd probably have a better idea.

So I know that there's multiple ways to go through the adventures of Marth and some of the differences: 3 is better in mechanics but is missing some of the 1st's chapters, 12 has an MU (supposed to be OP), and 11 has the problem of looking poor and feeling archaic (I tried to play it before and quit by chapter 5 or 6. Also, killing off people to play every chapter is just silly).

And then there's Gaiden. I'm curious about it because it has a lot of things that make it stand out from a lot of the series, but is also the first game to use elements like the world map (Yes, I actually like it.), even with the weird things like magic hurting the user.

To sum up, I could use some assistance in figuring out what to do.

(If there is a topic for this already, go ahead and lock.)

Go for 3 first, then retry 11 and go 12. Just what I think would be good to see the various differences.

Also I enjoy Gaiden despite its oddness, I mean Mario 2 U.S.A and Zelda 2 were odd second parts of their respective series but they did shape some later things. Gaiden is in a simliar boat except the FE series has more then 1 black sheep

Steer clear of Gaiden. It's pretty bad. Play 11 then 12. No need to play the old outdated ones unless you're into weird concepts that don't work these days.

EDIT: Also, you don't have to kill off characters if you don't want to in 11.

Edited by PKL

Steer clear of Gaiden. It's pretty bad. Play 11 then 12. No need to play the old outdated ones unless you're into weird concepts that don't work these days.

EDIT: Also, you don't have to kill off characters if you don't want to in 11.

Says someone who never played Gaiden

Go for 3 first, then retry 11 and go 12. Just what I think would be good to see the various differences.

Also I enjoy Gaiden despite its oddness, I mean Mario 2 U.S.A and Zelda 2 were odd second parts of their respective series but they did shape some later things. Gaiden is in a simliar boat except the FE series has more then 1 black sheep

i agree

3 is fun i like it

2 has some interesting mechanics its nice to try

11 is ok it gets more hate than it deserves

12 is amazing

oh and fe 1 really is just about unplayable

Edited by Wintersmith

Gaiden is the odd-horse out, in that it plays a little more like a conventional RPG than the rest of the Fire Emblem series (comparatively). It's quite fun, though much of its level design can feel a little empty or bland. I really liked its music, at the very least, too.

There was a Chinese remake of the game using an SRPG Maker 95. I think VincentASM had translated parts of it, if anyone wanted to give it a go.

I haven't played 1 or 3 so I voted 11 then 12.

Also,

Steer clear of Gaiden.

says me too. It's just not that good, and any interesting bits about it are overwhelmed by the fact that it runs slow enough to make FE4 look like a slick nexter-gen remake of FE13.

Edited by Integrity

Play FE3! There's got to be someone else who likes it! It's a pretty neat intro to the series, and it's quite nice to jump back to simpler days.

definitely play 11 and 12, then maybe go back and tinker with 1 or 3 for the sake of curiosity. this is mostly on the grounds of getting the good translations (both of story and gameplay because ahahaha the fe3 patch's interface) of each out of the way before tackling the ones which kinda don't (although i guess 1's isn't all that bad relatively speaking)

also re 2: yes do it. it's flawed but still pretty neat, and at the very least worth looking at for the sake of historical curiosity like 1 and 3

I thought FE9 and FE10 were nicely paced in most regards (gameplay, animations, pacing), However, yeah, I'd agree that FE3 was a wonky step back actually, and it felt like one of those clunky PC ports from the late 80s. Everything was clunky and strangely detailed D:

Been nearly a day now.

So how bad was 3's patch? Seriously, could you lose the plot in it?

...And there's a lot of mention of games in the series that I'd not expected to hear. Don't know what to think about that.

But that much of a vote for 11 + 12? Not sure if anything good would come out of it. :(:

I think I'll leave deciding to tomorrow. Somebody else might be interested in voting. But I was serious about what differences there are. I really want to know.