Fire Emblem Link Arena Discussion Topic

Espinosa

Things in the Fates meta that look bannable?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (tick many) What looks bannable in the Fates meta?

• Dragon Ward (Hoshido Noble)
    • Life or Death (Master of Arms)
    • Counter (Oni Chieftain)
    • Darting Blow (Sky Knight)
    • Multiple Amaterasu (Kinshi Knight)
    • Wary Fighter (General)
    • Inspiration (Strategist)
    • Aggressor (Dread Fighter)
    • Galeforce (Dark Falcon)
    • Awakening (Great Lord)
    • Dancing Blade (Lodestar)
    • Ban ALL DLC/Amiibo skills.
    • Other (state what)

Honestly, this reminds me of the stuff crash used to argue with the mods about. We don't have it, it's possible for us to have it, so we should have it.

But is there actually any reason to have it? Aside from making it "closer to the actual game", is there any actual benefit to including that? Will it honestly make games more interesting and fun, to the point where it's worth adding another slew of calculations to the start of every single match? I really don't think so.

Of course you're welcome to run your own game with bands, but I really can't see there being a point in making them staples of the metagame.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that note, I added Reinforcement stats to the PoR databases. The hit rates are kinda shaky (comparable to some brave attacks) and the atk isn't too high; however, it stacks and you get to decide when and whom you wish to attack. Enemy Laguz gauges can be manipulated this way - imagine 6 rounds of combat against somebody with a filled gauge.

Tanith's Reinforce rules:

1. Can be used twice per battle.

2. Wastes the user's turn.

3. After the user's turn (including the one when Reinforcements are summoned), the player can choose to either do nothing with the Pegs, or have them attack one particular target of choice (whom they will all attack).

4. Can be targeted by the opposition if they so wish.

There's at least one person who might be testing these in the first round now; I honestly don't expect anything gamebreaking but if we find them too annoying and cumbersome to manage we could ban them for the next round of the arena event and the remainder of it. IF it's too annoying.

Well, I think it has a few uses. Here are some examples:

Mage Band- Giving this to any sword unit would make magic weapons more usable, for example, Marcia could effectively use a Runesword and a Flame Lance.

Fighter Band/Knight Band- One of the main weaknesses of mages is there low strength has weapons weigh them down (furthered by there only being 2 energy rings) and low resilience. They could automatically be more useful using these bands.

Thief Band- Rhys. The guy hits hard and he hits accurately. But he's far to slow and not often the best candidate for speed wings. Using a speed boosting band, he's suddenly more viable. In one battle I had Rhys was pretty threatening except for getting doubled, so I think he could actually be useful with bands.

On that note, I added Reinforcement stats to the PoR databases. The hit rates are kinda shaky (comparable to some brave attacks) and the atk isn't too high; however, it stacks and you get to decide when and whom you wish to attack. Enemy Laguz gauges can be manipulated this way - imagine 6 rounds of combat against somebody with a filled gauge.

Tanith's Reinforce rules:

1. Can be used twice per battle.

2. Wastes the user's turn.

3. After the user's turn (including the one when Reinforcements are summoned), the player can choose to either do nothing with the Pegs, or have them attack one particular target of choice (whom they will all attack).

4. Can be targeted by the opposition if they so wish.

There's at least one person who might be testing these in the first round now; I honestly don't expect anything gamebreaking but if we find them too annoying and cumbersome to manage we could ban them for the next round of the arena event and the remainder of it. IF it's too annoying.

Alright, good to have that.

We could just slightly increase the number of available stat boosters and it would accomplish the same thing with a lot less work. Who knows, maybe I'm in the minority here.

Reinforce is another thing I'm pretty skeptical about, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Hawkeye

To be frank, what boosters achieve isn't so much as "more customisation" but rather making the averages meta resemble the maximum stats metagame, except without ~40 luck.

I'm not terribly enthusiastic about Reinforce (considering I'll have to host the games with it), but it should provide some variety at least, and those pegs and falcos do die pretty early (and you have better ways of attacking evasive dudes like Rolf, who will still counterkill the Javelin pegs).

Speaking of variety, there should be no shortage of it during the event, judging by the interesting teams, strategies and skill combos I've received in PM thus far.

We could just slightly increase the number of available stat boosters and it would accomplish the same thing with a lot less work. Who knows, maybe I'm in the minority here.

Reinforce is another thing I'm pretty skeptical about, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Well, the problem is that those are all the available stat boosters in the game, and we have to have only what we can obtain in the regular game (which is why we have no Brave Sword in FE6)

I think Bands would be an interesting idea, wouldn't be too hard to implement. Basically, each character gets a certain amount of stat at 5% (Ike gets +1.9) and 10% (Ike gets 3.8) and you could put that in the front page or whatever. This would help make things much more convenient (probably wouldn't even need to have seperate values for 10% considering it's just Mage Band and you could double the 5% values. Then when say I give Ike a Mage Band, I'd look at his average (10.8) and add (3.8) to it which would give me 14.6 which rounds to 15. So he'd have 15Mag. It's kind of cumbersome, but I don't think it's so bad that bands aren't worth considering.

I just thought of a system.

All bands aside from the mage band increase a growth by 5%, so you just calculate what that would be for each stat besides magic. Since only the mage band boosts magic growth, you could calculate it separately. Here's a example:

HP

Ike: regular HP (HP with band)

So just say like

"Ike, Avg stats meta, may recieve 4 +1 individual permaboosts to any stat" etc etc

As for submitions, everyone should be submitting stats for their team anyway. Calcs should take not much more.time because one should posess any unit's actual stats in the PM, a spreadsheet, or the OP, or whatever.

During the event, all hosts should list the stats on both sides (but not skills!) to compensate for the lack of a way to check targets' stats and also show which boosters everybody's got equipped.

I use what I personally consider a pretty clear procedure of starting the game with all the stats in the first post, and a compact way of rendering the stats every round and making everything that happens on the battlefield easy to follow (with pictures, colours and all that). I encourage all other hosts to adapt some variation of it, but everybody does it differently, obviously - as long as people aren't forgetting to check everything that matters while hosting, and aren't generating rounds from their mobile phone (though Elieson's looked good iirc) everything should work out fine.

Still waiting for someone to crush me in FE5.
I know there is a tourney going on but I'm just very inpatient.

I can make an FE5 team to crush you. Good luck finding a host, though...

I don't think you read that quite right. Also you could make an FE9 team, but it'd be hard to find someone willing to fight you because TOURNAMENT.

I can make an FE5 team to crush you. Good luck finding a host, though...

Cool beans.

BTW are you cool with these rules?

-No Ubers (Finn, Galzus, Mareeta, Nanna, Delmud)

-No cheap weapons (Holsety, Blizzard, Sleep/Berserk Swords)

-Prayer can only successfully activate once per round of combat

And what are your take on boosters and custom skills?

yeah I'm dumb shutup Roofbaka

and I'll act as a sub just in case, Espie

Good, you're in!

Since everything I do nowadays revolves around sitting on my ass, I need to take a break and have a good full-body workout right now. I'll do Baldrick's first action in his game, lead off with PKL vs Dio and/or Shin vs Tables and whatever else comes up when I'm back.