Fire Emblem Link Arena Discussion Topic

Espinosa

Things in the Fates meta that look bannable?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (tick many) What looks bannable in the Fates meta?

• Dragon Ward (Hoshido Noble)
    • Life or Death (Master of Arms)
    • Counter (Oni Chieftain)
    • Darting Blow (Sky Knight)
    • Multiple Amaterasu (Kinshi Knight)
    • Wary Fighter (General)
    • Inspiration (Strategist)
    • Aggressor (Dread Fighter)
    • Galeforce (Dark Falcon)
    • Awakening (Great Lord)
    • Dancing Blade (Lodestar)
    • Ban ALL DLC/Amiibo skills.
    • Other (state what)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max stats Fa could be fun to see too. 35 Defense, 40 Resistance, 48 Might, a support affinity that boosts those further along with accuracy and critical...

Too bad she gets doubled by anyone except Generals and Wyvern Lords.

Edited by Woodshooter

So my impression is that averages!FE6 is barely playable, though the "morbidly fun" thing I said abou it definitely seems applicable. Low hit, high crit and very few playable units. Max stats could be an adequate replacement though, who knows?

I can't see max stats being much different than Averages. Only difference is Gonzo/Garret work their way into the big three, and matches take longer because def is increased but speedcaps are still speedcaps

I can't see max stats being much different than Averages. Only difference is Gonzo/Garret work their way into the big three, and matches take longer because def is increased but speedcaps are still speedcaps

The tightening of the gaps between attack and defence and tank units becoming viable (Generals connecting attacks with capped skill and luck) should be enough to produce a significant change, I think. And well, just about any team based around supports will function to some extent now.

I think it's a more wanted change from the averages to the maximum stats meta than, say, PoR where boosters can provide the change desired anyway.

Warriors can circumvent their low Speed somewhat with the Miurgre, though if one uses a Nomad Trooper (especially Dayan since he never loses AS from it), it's perhaps better to just double everything. Even Snipers get pretty decent Speed scores as well.

I like how the three Berserkers are linked through supports. I enjoyed playing with those in the game to make a meat grinding wall but I'd be curious to implement it in this. They all gain accuracy and critical which is probably what they needed the most as well.

Edited by Woodshooter

Anybody else think it would be a good idea to ban the Ike x Oscar support?

It's not that OP, but it's almost stupid not to include both in the same team as things are right now, regardless of the meta. The options become really wide if this is done.

Nah, because Tanith is nowhere as good as Ike, with a pretty poor skill proc (both in terms of effect and activation rate) and stat caps (23 str is not high enough). Tanith is also expensive in terms of boosters needed to make her function.

With Ike X Oscar banned, Ike would receive a slight nerf and maybe rely on partners like Soren, Titania, Lethe or Ranulf for a change (who can all be made viable with the custom boosters you receive).

tbqh Reinforce should probably not do anything, much like rescuing. Too much fan fiction is too much. I'm glad where we arrived with Shade/Provoke after all the testing though.

Edited by Espinosa

Hmmm, anyone else think FE7 could also benefit from a maximum stat metagame? The boosters are limited in this one, so I can just compile stats assuming perfect level-ups for each level, and we can take it from there.

FE8 seems very fine with booster customisations, and I think there's a lot of room for freedom based on my game with dondon and the no-boosters games I've seen. Maybe only Garcia disagrees! And low-con mages.

Tanith isn't used nearly as often nor is she as useful as Ike for a team.

That said we haven't really tested Reinforce.

I would be totally game for testing Reinforce with someone, once we determine what the stats of the allies are.

I would be totally game for testing Reinforce with someone, once we determine what the stats of the allies are.

They're set in stone... I could check this pretty easily.

We need to decide to how exactly it works before we begin testing, though. Some very creative extrapolation is needed here, with more imagination than what could be invested into Shade/Provoke mechanics.

I think the tough part would be determining the AI of the allies, and see who they attack.

Has their been significant research into FE9 AI that could lead us to who they would prioritize?

I think there's no problem with them being controllable by Tanith's player and becoming units 6-8 on the team should they be summoned, even if everyone is alive.

Main dilemmas are:

- Should they be forced to attack the same unit?

- Does Reinforce use up a turn?

- Can it be used a second time before the already active reinforcements leave the field?

- Can the reinforcements be targeted by the opposition, or do they chip away until they succumb to counters?

To illustrate what we're dealing with, the strongest of the summons has 32 atk (which pierces just about everyone for at least some damage) and is only as speedy as a capped General. The other two have 19 and 23-24 atk, it seems, so they could at least pierce some mages.

I think even if we make it as convenient as possible for the Reinforce user, it could still be a bit too gimmicky to use up your turns on this, though Tanith does have SP space for Shade and, if Nihil/Parity users don't touch her, could summon while the tanks guard against the attacks, granting an advantage for the rest of the fight.

But yeah, we're definitely banning the Ike X Oscar support; really like the idea now.

what's the point in banning ike x oscar

every metagame has its clear way-stronger-than-everything-else combo. you might as well ban hector x lyn in FE7 and the eirika - ephraim - tana triangle in FE8. ban mareeta x galzus in FE5, too. you ban one thing, and something else takes its place. ike x oscar is not super broken.

Edited by dondon151

Main dilemmas are:

- Should they be forced to attack the same unit?

- Does Reinforce use up a turn?

- Can it be used a second time before the already active reinforcements leave the field?

- Can the reinforcements be targeted by the opposition, or do they chip away until they succumb to counters?

- If we establish AI for them as attacking the lowest defense unit (which makes sense as I'm pretty sure they go for maximum damage potential without worrying about their lives), then I see no reason why the reinforcements can't all attack the same unit. Shade/Provoke would affect them as well. In terms of attacking order, the units should move after the player who summons them uses their turn.

- Reinforce uses up Tanith's turn in PoR, so it should use up her turn in the Link Arena.

- If we're staying accurate to game mechanics, then yes, you should be able to use it a second time.

- I don't see why the reinforcements couldn't be (even though I don't see much reason why you would choose to attack them).

I'm going to be making a FE9 Averages + Statboosters + Assignable Skills team with Reinforce following these mechanics to see how they turn out. I think that the best way to see what Reinforce brings to the meta is to use it.