Possible explanation for inconsistent growths

Espinosa

People have brought up the fact that characters with under 100% growths in HP still somehow get 2 points of HP on occasion, as if hinting towards an error in growth calculation. I'm not sure if this idea has been brought up before, but I've thought of a possible explanation for this.

Remember how in Shadow Dragon there was such a thing as dynamic growths? If Jeigan somehow proc'd defence 5 levels in a row, every new level his chance of proccing defence would subsequently decrease. Alternatively, a character getting screwed in an important stat does not lose all hope to remain a chump for the rest of the game because being screwed during the previous level-ups means higher chances to level in that stat in the future. This would also explain 95-ish growths in HP resulting in >1 point level-ups in the stat.

I don't think Dynamic Growths are a thing. Although sometimes I started believing the pair-up partner might affect growths but it is very likely to be coincidence. When I paired Cordelia or the Avatar with Ricken for example, they would get more mag than usual. But with Frederick, my experience with Cordelia is a slightly slower, more bulkier Cordelia. With Stahl, I've had really good all-around Cordelias.

Conclusion: My PE is cray

My last playthrough, my Gaius got str screwed, then after promotion he got str in most levels, balancing it out. Sumia remained with shit str even after promotion and high dosage of Chrom support, though.

It's been brought up in that growths sticky thread before. Can't really prove it without more access to the data than we already have.

Well know in time.

I mean 2 years went by without the 3DS getting hacked. 2 weeks go by after Pokemon gets released and someone's already been able to run unsigned code.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I can't imagine that dynamic growths exist in this game. Especially since my Stahl promoted with only 8 Speed at level 15.

My Stahl barely did anything but function as a support partner and had like 25 str regardless.

Huh, this is interesting. I hadn't known that it was possible for characters other than Frederick and Donnel to get +2 HP on a single level up. But that's because the only characters I've had get +2 HP are Frederick and Donnel. lol

But every level-up they've gotten gave them HP for me (and I've leveled both of them up a crapton, especially Freddy), so we should at least know for sure that these two have HP growths of over 100%, though only with Aptitude equipped in Donnel's case, of course.

Well know in time.

I mean 2 years went by without the 3DS getting hacked. 2 weeks go by after Pokemon gets released and someone's already been able to run unsigned code.

From what I heard they used an exploit that was already existent. If Pokémon doesn't require you to update the 3DS, they could've used a hack that exploited a fault in a previous version of the firmware, much like how current flashcarts require you to use old firmware to function at all.

Huh, this is interesting. I hadn't known that it was possible for characters other than Frederick and Donnel to get +2 HP on a single level up. But that's because the only characters I've had get +2 HP are Frederick and Donnel. lol

But every level-up they've gotten gave them HP for me (and I've leveled both of them up a crapton, especially Freddy), so we should at least know for sure that these two have HP growths of over 100%, though only with Aptitude equipped in Donnel's case, of course.

I've had Gregor gain 2 HP on a single level up, too. And surprisingly often, given how rare the phenomenon is. However I think Gregor may have growth rate bigger than 100% like Frederick and Donnel.

From what I heard they used an exploit that was already existent. If Pokémon doesn't require you to update the 3DS, they could've used a hack that exploited a fault in a previous version of the firmware, much like how current flashcarts require you to use old firmware to function at all.

Pokemon requires the current firmware.

Really what happened is that all the good hackers didn't have a reason to crack the 3DS... then Pokemon happened, and suddenly they did.

Vaike's pretty common for it in my files, and I've had more than one +2 HP level for Gregor.

Pokemon requires the current firmware.

Really what happened is that all the good hackers didn't have a reason to crack the 3DS... then Pokemon happened, and suddenly they did.

I hate how Pokémon almost requires people to hack it to become fun but whatever.

Vaike's pretty common for it in my files, and I've had more than one +2 HP level for Gregor.

Oh shit I forgot Vaike, you're right.

Shit just got real.

Fuck EVs, they're the reason I left competitive after 2nd gen. Pokémon has the shittiest stat-boosting mechanic ever.

Edited by Malebolganone

I hate how Pokémon almost requires people to hack it to become fun but whatever.

lolwut?

Fuck EVs, they're the reason I left competitive after 2nd gen. Pokémon has the shittiest stat-boosting mechanic ever.

EVs have existed (in a more crude form) since Gen 1.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Wut?

This isn't true, and it's certainly not for Gen 6.

[i honestly hope they patch it, and require to play Pokemon online, you must get the patch.]

Isn't HPasset!Avatar's hp growth the only problem with growths? And HP flaw, presumably.

Frederick, Vaike, Aptitude!Donnel, Gregor, Nowi, Tiki, and Basilio all have >100% growths in (at least) their base classes. And there's Panne as a wyvern/griffon.

Seriously, what inconsistencies have been noted?

You *DO* remember the part where only the "competitive" scene seriously wants that data... and that how big the fanbase is, a lot more people play it casually and just use EV knowledge as "oh hey, nice feature", right?

And then there's also the people that play it simply as a single player game.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You *DO* remember the part where only the "competitive" scene seriously wants that data... and that how big the fanbase is, a lot more people play it casually and just use EV knowledge as "oh hey, nice feature", right?

And then there's also the people that play it simply as a single player game.

I play Pokémon casually but usually to beat the Battle Towers, Frontiers etc. you need EV-trained Pokémon and, well, up until X and Y, Gamefreak put in very limited knowledge of how EVs work in the game. It's a very important mechanic yet they seem to "hide" it from the players. Same with the IV system, it's known from in-game text that Pokémon of the same species may have different growths but how and why is never stated.

To really know the mechanics of the game, especially for breeding, you're dependant on fansites and hackers, even more so than any other series. But I guess it's a matter of choice. There are sophisticated mechanics under that apparently simple game, but only those players willing to go that far would take advantage of them. The others don't really need to since Pokémon is an easy game.