Crobat or Talonflame?

AssassinSevera

I would say it depends on your Speed IV on the Def/Sp.Def ones. You want HP/Atk for sure, and 125 isn't a hugely populated speed tier, you won't outspeed +Speed natured ones anyway since you need adamant. I would say so long as your IV doesn't throw you below neutral 120s(AKA less than 26, unless you aren't investing in Speed at all, in which case the IV probably won't hurt much)

Edited by Ether

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it depends on your Speed IV on the Def/Sp.Def ones. You want HP/Atk for sure, and 125 isn't a hugely populated speed tier, you won't outspeed +Speed natured ones anyway since you need adamant. I would say so long as your IV doesn't throw you below neutral 120s(AKA less than 26, unless you aren't investing in Speed at all, in which case the IV probably won't hurt much)

I was gonna invest in 252 Hp/252 Attack/4 def for the bulk up set. So would the HP/Attack/Def/SpDef one work best? Or should i do the Swords Dance set with the Hp/Attack/Def/Speed one?

Edited by AssassinSevera

For your Talonflame's set, I'd really only focus on outspeeding Excadrill (Base 88). Once you hit the speed stat of 303, max out Attack and put the rest in HP.

I say Excadrill because it's pretty much the only relevant Pokemon in OU that gets hit harder by Flare Blitz than by Brave Bird, so it'd be ideal to outspeed it to hit it with a Flare Blitz. The only other Pokemon that comes to mind would be Lucario, but that'd require a significant drop in bulk to outspeed base 112 speed.

For your Talonflame's set, I'd really only focus on outspeeding Excadrill (Base 88). Once you hit the speed stat of 303, max out Attack and put the rest in HP.

I say Excadrill because it's pretty much the only relevant Pokemon in OU that gets hit harder by Flare Blitz than by Brave Bird, so it'd be ideal to outspeed it to hit it with a Flare Blitz. The only other Pokemon that comes to mind would be Lucario, but that'd require a significant drop in bulk to outspeed base 112 speed.

So i could use 31/31/31/x/x/31? Also, maybe for a moveset i could go U-turn/Bulk Up/Swords Dance, Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Roost

Evs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 hp

Or 252 Attack, Enough to get 310 Speed, rest in Hp

The only reason I'm suggesting U-turn is because i noticed half of my team runs Volt-Switch/U-turn, so i could keep the momentum going.

Do Adamant Nature with enough EVs to outspeed Excadrill, 252 Atk and the rest in HP.

No opinion on U-Turn other than don't run it with Swords Dance or Bulk Up.

Edited by DoofInAHat

Talonflame gets it's fame because you can pump a load a lot more power than most priority can get. Base 81 with adamant and max EVs is decent enough with a choice band, it's great when you toss it in with priority that has double the base power of Scizor's famous Technician Bullet Punch. The fact that it's secondary STAB also packs 120 power helps it out a tonne. and well, most high power STAB moves hit pretty hard if you're backing them with a Swords dance(if you go that route)

But you definitely want to max ATK as much as physically possible, because it's base is pretty paltry on it's own, yes.

Well I agree that priority Brave Bird is impressive even coming from a base 81 Attack, and he's speedy enough so that you can play with his Speed stat depending on who you want to outspeed.

Nice to see another early game bird knocking out Staraptor from the top.