Crobat or Talonflame?

AssassinSevera

Original sets are the answer for the future my friend! Don't be tricked by those boring smogon sets~

Anyway Luxray also has Guts to take in account. It's such a great ability.

Intimidate pokémon work pretty well this gen.

I'd say Luxray is a great counter for Talonflame. It can resist all its attacks pretty well and most likely 1HKO it in return.

Actually, a lot of the smogon sets are good. But original sets are cool, too. Like my Minimize+Psych Up combo!

I wouldn't waste a spot on my team just for the sake of a Talonflame counter. A mediocre one, at that. Tyranitar does the job so much better.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I kinda wondered why Rotom - F and Rotom - H is not used much more than they are right now

F - Solid Coverage from STAB + W-o-W(compared to Zapdos who does not have Air Slash) in place of not getting roost seems solid on papers

H - DEM Typing

Edited by Eradicator Boner

252 HP / 252+ Def Luxray takes 53% damage minimum from an Adamant Talonflame's Swords Dance-boosted Flare Blitz after accounting for Intimidate. That's not a Talonflame counter at all.

Rotom-W and Heatran (once Pokebank is available) are solid Talonflame counters that fit into a lot of teams. Tyranitar works if the opponent doesn't have Steel Wing.

People aren't using rotom-H that much because everyone and their mothers are using rotom-w, and you can't use both at the same time.

Rotom-w works so well that I'm not willing to try rotom-H instead.

no, always run +atk, and why would you try to increase its spdef anyway

bulk up talonflame is not curselax; it's not going to be able to cover both defensive sides at once.

I'm only considering Careful nature because i dont have an Adamant Fletchling/Ditto, and it will take me a while to get one. Does anybody here have an Adamant Fletchling/Ditto with good Ivs they could give me/borrow?

Edited by AssassinSevera

I'll have to disagree with dondon.

I've been testing the following Talonflame set on Pokemon Showdown:

Careful nature

252 EVs in HP and Sp. Def, 4 in Atk

Galewings ability(of course)

Brave Bird

Flare Blitz

Roost

Bulk Up

Leftovers

Results:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-61725178

I've done many battles with this set, but current issues with the site are preventing me from sharing them.

Anyway, the EVs in HP/SpD usually give it enough time to set up a Bulk Up or two, and Roost and Leftovers help it's survivability quite a bit.

That battle I shared isn't the only time my Talonflame caused the opponent to ragequit. ;):

I'm not saying this set is perfect, far from it in fact, as there are ways to counter it(like any strategy), but I do believe it to be a valid option.

Careful nature

Brave Bird

Flare Blitz

Roost

Bulk Up

Leftovers

Results:

I've done many battles with this set, but current issues with the site are preventing me from sharing them.

Anyway, the EVs in HP/SpD usually give it enough time to set up a Bulk Up or two, and Roost and Leftovers help it's survivability quite a bit.

That battle I shared isn't the only time my Talonflame caused the opponent to ragequit. ;):

I'm not saying this set is perfect, far from it in fact, as there are ways to counter it(like any strategy), but I do believe it to be a valid option.

Well that guy did suck. He let you set up Bulk Up when he had Dragonite and he didn't even go Mega when he used Fake Out. He went Mega right after. And he really used sucker punch instead of return or something....

Well that guy did suck. He let you set up Bulk Up when he had Dragonite and he didn't even go Mega when he used Fake Out. He went Mega right after. And he really used sucker punch instead of return or something....

Very true, but as I said before:

That wasn't the only time I used that set, and certainly not the only time it proved beneficial.

In the end, I'd suggest doing some Showdown testing of your own.

Very true, but as I said before:

That wasn't the only time I used that set, and certainly not the only time it proved beneficial.

In the end, I'd suggest doing some Showdown testing of your own.

I did test both Adamant 252 Hp/252 Attack and Careful 252 hp/252 sp def. They both work just fine, but since i already started Adamant i guess i'll do the adamant set.

Guys, just to make sure, when i put a male Fletchling with Galewings with a ditto in the Day Care, could the babies inherit Gale Wings? I read somewhere it is a 60% chance for it to inherit. My Fletchinder has IVs in Hp, Defense, and Speed and the Ditto has Ivs in Attack and Sp def. Is that how i could possibly get Fletchling with 5 Ivs?

I did test both Adamant 252 Hp/252 Attack and Careful 252 hp/252 sp def. They both work just fine, but since i already started Adamant i guess i'll do the adamant set.

Guys, just to make sure, when i put a male Fletchling with Galewings with a ditto in the Day Care, could the babies inherit Gale Wings? I read somewhere it is a 60% chance for it to inherit. My Fletchinder has IVs in Hp, Defense, and Speed and the Ditto has Ivs in Attack and Sp def. Is that how i could possibly get Fletchling with 5 Ivs?

Exactly. You must be quite lucky for that, but it definitely can happen.

They will inherit Gale Wings, yes.

Careful nature

Brave Bird

Flare Blitz

Roost

Bulk Up

Leftovers

Results:

Talonflame's low stats and typing don't facilitate Bulk Upping at all. As an early-game threat, Bulk Up Talonflame gets scared off by a good number of things (say your opponent had brought out Tyranitar in that replay); even Rotom-W with no SpAtk investment does a minimum of 85% max health to a 252 HP / 252+ SDef Talonflame. As a late-game threat, Swords Dance 252+ Atk Talonflame finishes a higher number of weakened enemies (granting it more longevity) that 0 Atk Talonflame can't, and also gets to use a coverage move like Steel Wing instead of Roost.

Talonflame with Galewings is answer to everything.

Is he really that good? Because his base Attack is 81. That's, like, Pidgeot tier. Strong moves mitigate it somewhat, but he's never going to hit as hard as some other options.

At least he's a good Blaziken killer.

Is he really that good? Because his base Attack is 81. That's, like, Pidgeot tier. Strong moves mitigate it somewhat, but he's never going to hit as hard as some other options.

At least he's a good Blaziken killer.

Talonflame gets it's fame because you can pump a load a lot more power than most priority can get. Base 81 with adamant and max EVs is decent enough with a choice band, it's great when you toss it in with priority that has double the base power of Scizor's famous Technician Bullet Punch. The fact that it's secondary STAB also packs 120 power helps it out a tonne. and well, most high power STAB moves hit pretty hard if you're backing them with a Swords dance(if you go that route)

But you definitely want to max ATK as much as physically possible, because it's base is pretty paltry on it's own, yes.

I just can't get 5 IVs! The best ones i got were like:

Hp, Attack, Defense, Speed

Hp, Attack, Defense, Sp Def

Hp, Attack, Sp Def, Speed

I can't take all this breeding anymore! Should i just choose one of these? If so, which one? If none of these, then i guess i'll have to keep breeding.