Good RPGs and non-mainstream games

Chiki

If you have Steam, i'd suggest Path of Exile, which is an entirely free "we wish it was Diablo 3" type of game. With a bit of investment, you can find all sorts of cool ones, such as Knights of Pen and Paper +1. There's a few Ys games too if you're in the Action RPG range. They're made by the same guys who did Tits.

Otherwise give a list of consoles you want RPGs for or what you're ready to emulate.

Edited by Woodshooter

Atelier Series (though I can only comment on the Iris trilogy, the only ones I've played), La Pucelle Tactics, Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (both are from the makers of the more mainstream Disgaea series and are typically overlooked), and of course the game that I'm currently hyping all over my avvy and sig, Radiata Stories. All of these are for PS2 last time I checked.

I'm not quite sure if the Tales Series is mainstream or not, since it got more popular recently, but its still definitely a wonderful game series to check out either way.

As far as individual games are concerned, The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Riviera The Promised Land, Shining Force 1 & 2, Shining In The Darkness,

For series, Mega Man Battle Network, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales Of, and Ogre Battle.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2), Pandora's Tower (Wii), Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii), Twilight Princess (Wii), FFTA2 (DS), FF: Crystal Chronicles (Gamecube), FFIV complete collection (PSP), FFVII Crisis Core (PSP). Also Project Zero II:Deep Crimson Butterfly, but its technically survival horror. :D

Shadow of the Colossus is not even an RPG.

Edit: Wow stupid me, read the title again.

yep, the title of this thread asks for good rpgs and non mainstream games. it wasn't your mistake

speaking of gabriel...celes, you gotta play the summon night games man. i know they're not all on the consoles you listed but...well, game boy player lets you play gba games on the gcn, and some DSs support gba too. GO PLAY

It's a series of games for the GBA. The GBA series is a spinoff of the main strategy series. Swordcraft is a 2D real-time sword fighting game where you make swords and fight monsters and humans in a story. At the beginning of the games you choose between 4 Summon Beasts to accompany you for the duration of the game. My avatar is a character from the second game (isn't he cute?)

Good RPGs and non-mainstream games?

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (3D Shoot-em-up)

Okami (Zelda-ish Action Adventure)

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (RPG)

NiGHTS Journey of Dreams (Flying/racing)

Pikmin 2 (RTS/puzzle/adventure)

I'm certain you'll like at least one of these games.

Edited by Zera

If you have friends and a PS2, pick up Champions of Norrath. One of the most fun co-op ARPGs I've played.

It's been a while, so the game might be dated. I do remember it and its sequel being excellent, though.

BATEN KAITOS! They both rock (Gamecube)! Ahem. . .besides me being a blatant fangirl, you can also check out the Etrian Odyssey series (DS and 3DS), and if you don't mind having a game that's heavily steeped in religion, the Devil Survivor/Shin Megami Taisen series. I'm a fan of Suikoden V (PS2), but I'm not sure if you'd like it.

If you have Steam, i'd suggest Path of Exile, which is an entirely free "we wish it was Diablo 3" type of game. With a bit of investment, you can find all sorts of cool ones, such as Knights of Pen and Paper +1. There's a few Ys games too if you're in the Action RPG range. They're made by the same guys who did Tits.

Otherwise give a list of consoles you want RPGs for or what you're ready to emulate.

I second the Path of Exile--this game is pretty amazing. I only wish it had a little more variety, but even then the game is pretty well beefed for a free to play game.

Next to that, check out some of From Software's earlier work, such as the King's Field series (PS1, PS2), along with its spinoffs like Shadow Tower, and also the Lost Kingdom games on the GameCube.

Advance Wars series - GBA/DS

Luminous Arc - DS (although I'd say this one's a hit or miss)

Soma Bringer - DS (Japanese only but there should be a translation patch out there most likely GBATemp).

2nd The World Ends With You - DS (mainstream or not, it's fantastic).

Super Robot Wars - GBA/PS1 (for those that are english or have a translation patch)

Anything else I would've recommended is already mentioned (too many to 2nd). Though about the Ys suggestion, definitely go for Oath in Felghana or Origin. Ys I & II on steam has a combat system that everyone I know has disliked so far.

Edited by Sirius

Luminous Arc - DS (although I'd say this one's a hit or miss)

The original Luminous Arc had some gameplay things that I didn't care for (namely, how stats were handled). The story/characters were okay. Luminous Arc 2's battle system was better, but at the expense of a cast that I didn't like as much. I thought they were worth my money.

I'm gonna second Baten Kaitos and its follow-up, Baten Kaitos Origins. Origins is especially fun and it's one of my favourite RPGs of all time. Also, Rune Factory 4 came out a little while ago and it combines farming with dungeon crawling. It's a lot of fun and it's also pretty long and challenging. The series has only gotten better over time so if you've never played a Rune Factory game before, don't feel bad about missing the previous installments as 4 is basically a straight improvement and you won't really be missing any parts of the story.

The 3rd SN Swordcraft story's fan translation is very close to being done IIRC, and I'm working on Summon Night X ~Tears Crown~'s translation. FYI, since someone wanted to play the 3rd and it was mentioned in general.

There are quite a few solid suggestions out here, so I'm not going to really add much unless you give such specific requirements that I feel I could only pick out a couple solid titles. There are way too many "Good RPGs and non-mainstream games" to just go listing them outright IMO, XD.

At the very least though, I'll second the Ys games (and +1 to TWEWY as well even though it's been mentioned multiple times).

I guess I will throw my vote to "Sin & Punishment: Successor of the sky". An absolute awesome rail shooter.

When it was released, I was hesitant to buy it because while I enjoyed the original game on the virtual console, it had too many issues. Like it's rough controls and the god awful sidescroller stage.

Well, I turned out to be death wrong. The game fixed all of the predecessor's issues and made everything about the game more awesome.

The game controls absolutely amazing. The remote effectively works like a light gun and yet you can still control your character. The Wii seems effectively be made for a rail shooter like this one.

And this time around, the side scrolling stage is actually my favorite level.

The level design is beautiful, creative and hard as hell. (silly me, thinking I could beat Normal mode just because I beat the original on normal) It's just an absolute pleasure to play this one.

Edited by BrightBow

As far as individual games are concerned, The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Riviera The Promised Land, Shining Force 1 & 2, Shining In The Darkness,

For series, Mega Man Battle Network, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales Of, and Ogre Battle.

Pokemon Conquest, Super Robot Wars, and Digimon Dawn/Dusk are all fun too!

oh and for non-mainstream games, I'd say go with Opoona and Muramasa:Demon Blade.