gay thread

Esme

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another explanation for pansexual v. bisexual I've heard is that bi = attracted to people of different genders for different reasons, pan = has mostly the same feelings of attraction for whatever, just switches up their game a little maybe

Just speaking for myself, I don't generally take it personal if somebody'd rather call me bi, partially because I do think it makes some sense to think of pan as at least a subset of bi anyway, and partially because I'm not sure it's really of that much consequence to the majority of all people who don't live inside my head. I just happen to have a lot of baggage with regard to gender (constructs), so in my head I prefer thinking of myself as pan a bit more because it helps put all that crap behind me. And among like-minded people it's nice to have a word that says "I like people and don't care to limit myself," but most people seem to associate something like that with being bi anyway, which is nice, so I'm not too uncomfortable using that label either when I think it'd get the point across. I also don't really talk about any part of my sexuality in public very much, so it's kind of a moot point for me at the moment regardless.

Also the reason the "biphobia" tumblr discussion got me uncomfortable in the first place was that I immediately remembered some internalized guilt about it, courtesy of being way too sensitive to some shit said on /lgbt/ like half a year ago, so that's another reason I might be kidding myself here I guess

frank ocean

*google* => "fug"

for the same reason that the opposite of progress is congress

heh

To be fair, the same would apply to the term 'homophobia', since 'homo-' just means "same".

...now I can't stop reading it as "fear of the same sex", even though that is just as incorrect, and doesn't get the benefit of being commonly used.

debatable

Edited by Rehab

i don't doubt a bisexual would either. it's a stupid distinction that plays entirely on the nuances and implications of "bi." seriously thinking that a bisexual person would literally only ever consider fucking cis people of either gender is somewhat ridiculous. i don't doubt there are such people, but i think that might fall under "preference." in any case, i think it's a useless dichotomy. i don't get the almost fetishistic obsession people have with labels.

also: i think i'd avoid using "hermaphrodite." it's become almost a slur, and also imples something that isn't true (full functionality of both gendered genitalia). "intersexual" is more appropriate i believe

oh wow am i tumblr

Related (not to further the argument, just sharing dumb anecdote): I've heard at least one person go "oh I'm bi but no wAAAAYYYYYYYYY am I 'pan,' I just cannot deal (physically)"

what this person's opinion was on whether there's a meaningful distinction to be made between bi vs. pan (and whether it matters), I was left somewhat unsure

Edited by Rehab

The general line I've been told regarding pansexuality is that gender-based characteristics are irrelevant to becoming attracted towards someone. Most of those I hear using the labels to describe themselves insist that looks have no bearing on their attraction towards another and that man, woman, alien, whatever, if they have positive social characteristics then they'd be fine with them.

Which sounds kinda like baloney P:

Pansexuality, or omnisexuality, is sexual attraction, sexual desire, romantic love or emotional attraction toward people of all gender identities and biological sexes. Self-identified pansexuals may consider pansexuality a sexual orientation, and refer to themselves as gender-blind, asserting that gender and sex are insignificant or irrelevant in determining whether they will be sexually attracted to others.

Copied straight from wikipedia.

Edited by Siegmund

I will make you the fignest bologna this side of the atlantic

There is a heaven for tongues, and I will take you there

Edited by Rehab

If they would, then it's inaccurate to call them bisexual because they aren't attracted to just two sexes or genders.

I was going to say intersex. Not sure why I changed. Side note: true hermaphrodite humans do exist, but they're even more rare.

If they're rare, even I might...