gay thread

Esme

art of manliness can sometimes come off as kind of kitschy to me, but it had a nice couple of photo-supplemented articles on the subject of how men and boys (in the U.S. in particular, maybe) were quite possibly a lot more physically affectionate with each other, and openly, back at the turn of the 1900's than they were in the middle of it and now.

I don't think that necessarily translates in turn to "they were more accepting of homosexuality," at least partially because the site claims they widely thought of/referred to that as "the crime that dares not speak its name," and as being something you "did," not something you "were," (which remind me of some homophobic catchphrases I've heard- "people can choose to stop being gay," "committing a crime against nature," etc.), but I have to admit, the first time I looked at a lot of these pictures for myself, I went

"No fucking way. Not one of them gay, far as anybody knows?"

[spoiler=basically]y4ppuVP.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never looked at those old black-and-white pictures of men being friendly with each other and thought of them as gay-- although that's probably because I knew that homosexuality wasn't something that was really touched upon in those times. But if I weren't educated about that... well, yeah, I'd say that those pictures were pretty "gay".

Honestly, I wish that people wouldn't be so... stiff towards one another when it comes to embracing in a non-romantic sorta way. Men especially. It annoys me to no end when people are so hesitant to express themselves because of some stupid stigma about looking "gay". If anything, being able to openly and unabashedly embrace someone else or express your appreciation or love for them is something very beautiful, and should never be mocked for looking a little homoerotic or whatever.

Also, that's a rad-ass bird, yo.

Yeah, I meant to say more somewhere in there about how my first reaction gave way pretty quickly to "thank god my first reaction is/was total bullshit"

(and also some more about how the pictures made me feel better about wanting to be more openly affectionate in friendships/general, looking at so-perceived masculinity hangups as things that may eventually be solved, etc)

Edited by Rehab

I've never looked at those old black-and-white pictures of men being friendly with each other and thought of them as gay-- although that's probably because I knew that homosexuality wasn't something that was really touched upon in those times. But if I weren't educated about that... well, yeah, I'd say that those pictures were pretty "gay".

Honestly, I wish that people wouldn't be so... stiff towards one another when it comes to embracing in a non-romantic sorta way. Men especially. It annoys me to no end when people are so hesitant to express themselves because of some stupid stigma about looking "gay". If anything, being able to openly and unabashedly embrace someone else or express your appreciation or love for them is something very beautiful, and should never be mocked for looking a little homoerotic or whatever.

wise beyond your years lol

Interesting topic for a paper

*makes a note of this for the future*

Also Inui you a gay ass nigga

wise beyond your years lol

Thank you!

Interesting topic for a paper

*makes a note of this for the future*

Also Inui you a gay ass nigga

hey now be nice

brendor stfu

i bet you kiss girls faggot

you too boney

unyu~

uwah~!

Edited by Esme

It's ok, we were all novices at one point. Even the experts learn things often!

And don't let that answer get you down, you'll find that qtpa2t3.14 dude some day.

oh my god get her like a gun or something we have some real bastards here in the city

like the hipster fucks that go to new york uni they can go die. they'll come up to her and offer her tofu and shit

I think shes staying in brooklyn

My sis is like hardcore hipster minus the tryhard. Like she does the weirdest shit just cause she heard about it and she likes to try things out. Apparently her friend told her about a African percussion class and now shes taking it lmao

Edited by Stolypin Necktie

I think shes staying in brooklyn

My sis is like hardcore hipster minus the tryhard. Like she does the weirdest shit just cause she heard about it and she likes to try things out. Apparently her friend told her about a African percussion class and now shes taking it lmao

African percussion classes are all the rage AFAIK, but I took Indonesian Ensemble music (Gamelan) while I was in college. :/

EDIT-I dunno why I :/ 'd because I actually liked it the first year I did it.

Edited by SeverIan

And don't let that answer get you down, you'll find that qtpa2t3.14 dude some day.

Forever Alone :sob:

And New York's not so bad just don't make eye contact with anyone and don't take any fliers from anyone

Even if a gun *could* help you, NYC has the strictest gun laws and channels to go through to get a permit despite it being the city with the most gun violence and crime.