Why do people like Rosalina?

Caster

I don't really dislike her per say, but ever since SMG came out I didn't really care for her at all really.

And ever since then she has snuck her way into many other games in the series.

I just don't really get what all the hype is about her.

She always just seemed "eh" to me.

I'm always carrying unfavorable opinions but whatever.

Well, she's cute, and has a sweet/sad backstory. She 's also at the least not a Peach clone like Daisy was, so there's that too.

Really? I thought Rosalina was nothing but a clone of Peach, situated as a retelling of the same character. For me, Daisy was fleshed out and backed in around seven different games by the time Rosalina came by, giving her a little bit more individuality, I suppose, than the Rosalina.

(as long as she doesn't turn into a forced mascot like FFXII's Lightening)

Different strokes for different blokes I guess~

But what I meant was that when Daisy first premiered, she was literally just a different colored Peach. At least Rosalina got an actual character before being tossed into other games.

it's her looks, obviously

No.

Rosalina was first presented to us as a Peach lookalike with a mysterious background. Who is she, why is she in this comet observatory? What does she have to do with the universe? Why is she helping Mario? All these questions get answered in SMG and its pretty damn amazing. The storybook is what gives us the clues as to who Rosalina is and how she wound up there. Its arguably one of the biggest tearjerkers in recent gaming. Its also THE biggest tearjerker to ever hit Mario games. Theres a lot of backstory for a Mario character. Rosalina's personality is cool, collected, but also kind. Shes like how Peach would be if she were more mature. Plus, she pulls a pretty weirdass Deus Ex Machina at the end of SMG that the player is probably happy to see by that point. So Rosalina became Space God? Wiggy!

Why do people like her? Because shes neat. Shes got an unobtrusive personality, a wise demeanor, cares a lot about Team Mario and her Lumas. Shes pretty but not flashy, shes kinda awesome in Mario Kart, and presents a strong female personality/appearance in the Marioverse. Peach is...well...she flipflops a lot on her role. Shes either Damsel In Distressed or really sassy. Rarely anything else. Daisy is basically for Luigi and shes pretty annoying. Rosalina is the kind of character people can get behind.

"Why do people like Rosalina?"

She's a space sorceress. Which is awesome.

If you try jumping on her in Super Mario Galaxy, she'll defend herself with a forcefield.

Honestly, I wonder why she didn't just collect all the Power Stars on her own.

Honestly, I wonder why she didn't just collect all the Power Stars on her own.

Someone has to look after the 'Verse and the Lumas. She just couldnt up and go look and leave all dem Lumas to wreck her observatory. Shes their Mama after all. Besides, Rosalina couldnt Spring Shroom. (and i bet she was thrilled not to be able to.) It seems her power is either on "toned down" mode or "Space God Nuke" and no in between. /shrug

She has a backstory? I never became fanboy level interested to look into it, I just played the games and thought, "oh snap a new princess replacement for peach because space".

Her story in the library is one main reason that I like her.

I also really like her because she's so different. A lot of Mario characters a loud and out there, but she's very quiet (that echo in her voice in Mario Kart Wii :D).

My grandmother and I also spent a lot of time when I was younger stargazing, and seeing a character so closely connected with the stars brings back memories from ~13 years ago.

Rosalina actually has a developed story in the platforming Mario universe which is near unheard of outside the Mario RPG's

Yes. And its highly detailed considering its just a Mario Platformer. Highly detailed to absurdly tearjerking levels. Seriously, i will own up to it. I own it. I cried when i finished her Storybook. Omfg. At first, it was but a wee manly tear. Then...it was twin waterfalls! Fridge Sadness: What if a kid who just recently lost their mum played that game and read the Storybook? Omfg...

Her story in the library is one main reason that I like her.

I also really like her because she's so different. A lot of Mario characters a loud and out there, but she's very quiet (that echo in her voice in Mario Kart Wii :D).

My grandmother and I also spent a lot of time when I was younger stargazing, and seeing a character so closely connected with the stars brings back memories from ~13 years ago.

Awwww

Well, her tragic backstory is a big reason as to why I personally like her. I mean, she unknowingly sacrificed her family when she went into space and helped the Luma search for his family, and in the end they were both without their real parents. That's really tragic stuff and you have to admire and pity Rosalina for (unknowingly) making a sacrifice like that and becoming an adoptive mother for all Lumas because they all had no families, when she herself lost her family.

She's also really pretty, I won't deny that. Especially with the hair (that side bang) and her long, regal looking dress. I also like how she's much quieter and mild-mannered compared to other Mario characters.

I think her debut was definitely amplified by the strength of Super Mario Galaxy, as it might be the greatest 3D platformer of all time. Her backstory is more interesting than most in the Mushroom Kingdom I would say.

Additionally, I think her design is strong. There is a quietness and a sense of elegance to design.

Why do people like her even if they don't really know her backstory/know she has a backstory? It's the same reason there are people who pick Daisy and Waluigi in Mario Kart.