Nicolas

Forde.gif and fergus.png

Vanessa.gif and karin.png

Even their relationship is similar.

Kyle.gif and carrion.png

Seth.gif and fin.png

You don't see it? "I'm faithful, superbroken knight, who must rescue my lord."

Renack.gif and rifis.png

"LOL, I'm caring only about myself, but there is one green-haired unit, who forced me to do this"

Natasha.gif and saphy.png

Noel.gif and salome.png

Edited by Nicolas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew.png and Garret.png

we're both vaguely associated with various criminal activities are we brothers or something

Roy-1.png and Lowen.png

we were both breastfed by the same woman it's like we're the same character

Lekain.PNG and Tauroneo.PNG

we need to fire our barber

Wallace.png and liz.jpg

Haar.PNG and Vaida.png

pupils betrayed us for non-union jobs and we have flying mounts and our eyes are messy

Ike.PNG and Dorcas.png

haha we're mercenaries and we care about our families it's like we're clones also we fight our families in a chapter

Am I doing it right?

Edited by Tangerine

Matthew.png and Garret.png

we're both vaguely associated with various criminal activities are we brothers or something

Roy-1.png and Lowen.png

we were both breastfed by the same woman it's like we're the same character

Lekain.PNG and Tauroneo.PNG

we need to fire our barber

Wallace.png and liz.jpg

Haar.PNG and Vaida.png

pupils betrayed us for non-union jobs and we have flying mounts and our eyes are messy

Ike.PNG and Dorcas.png

haha we're mercenaries and we care about our families it's like we're clones also we fight our families in a chapter

Am I doing it right?

1. Read script of FE5 ch4 and Vanessa and Forde support convo.

2. "My parents are killed, but I'm alive. I'll go with you Prince [here paste name of prince]. Glory be to [here paste name of country!"

Next are pretty clear, maybe without Natasha and Saphy: "I have important mission. I can die, but I must do something. I'll rush to heal." Seth is support convo said that Natasha is rushing without carinag about herself. Shiva said something similar.

Ranger Jack Walker said:

To a degree, all FE games reuse character archetypes but FE6 does it the most blatant way possible.

Yeah. I have some friends who prefer FE6 above all other FE games and they get defensive over this, but it's just... beyond debate IMO. It doesn't mean FE6 didn't take some things in a different direction or develop some characters in more interesting ways than their predecessors.

I've also found it amusing that by the time you get to FE11/FE12 you have character types that post-dated the original Archanea games being inserted into the plot because hey, now everyone expects Spunky Village Girl Archer and Exotic Swordswoman.

Uh not really. Quite a few of the listed Archanean characters have more than established backstory and position that conflicts with FE6s. Miledy is a Royal Guard and so is her brother, Minerva is actually a Princess and her brother is the archetype for Narcian (who hates Miledy in FE6). Tate is a Mercenary, isn';t affiliated with Miledy at all, and has no interest in Roy, she's more into Klein, no go for Catria besides the design. Zephiel's entire backstory has nothing to do with him getting corrupted or anything unlike Hardin. Guinevere is his SISTER not his wife. Thany/Shanna is mechanically a Caeda equivilant but the position as a character is actually Lilina's who is more like a mage version of Maria.

Don't get me wrong, they're still obviously very similar and influenced by but it's a bit rich to say that they're the same thing. It's like saying Oscar and Kieran are the same as Cain and Abel beacuse they're the red and green cavaliers.

Edited by Irysa

Uh not really. Quite a few of the listed Archanean characters have more than established backstory and position that conflicts with FE6s. Miledy is a Royal Guard and so is her brother, Minerva is actually a Princess and her brother is the archetype for Narcian (who hates Miledy in FE6). Tate is a Mercenary, isn';t affiliated with Miledy at all, and has no interest in Roy, she's more into Klein, no go for Catria besides the design. Zephiel's entire backstory has nothing to do with him getting corrupted or anything unlike Hardin. Guinevere is his SISTER not his wife. Thany/Shanna is mechanically a Caeda equivilant but the position as a character is actually Lilina's who is more like a mage version of Maria.

Don't get me wrong, they're still obviously very similar and influenced by but it's a bit rich to say that they're the same thing. It's like saying Oscar and Kieran are the same as Cain and Abel beacuse they're the red and green cavaliers.

OMG yes. Like, I really don't get why people bash FE6 for this. Every FE game does it to some extent.

And plus, some of the supposed "expies" don't even look like each other(most notably Ogma and Dieke, who only somewhat resemble each other and who have completely different backstories).

Ogma and Dieck's is actually pretty different

First the fact that Klein is saved by Dieck while Sheeda saved Ogma.

Second, there are some family and loyalty shenanigans with Dieck, while Ogma is basically Sheeda's personal bodyguard. Sometime It make me wish that we got to see Marth and Sheeda's life following the War of Heroes, but eh...

Edited by Eradicator Boner

Obviously, they're not identical but look at it this way:

You start the game with a Rapier Lord, an old Paladin in oddly coloured armour, a red haired Cavalier, a green haired cavalier, a green haired archer, a green haired knight and you have to save a castle under attack by bandits. The castle seems to have no defences of its own and the chapter starts with one of the bandits destroying a village that is impossible to save. Next chapter, you automatically recruit mercenaries, one of which is a muscled and scarred Mercenary class guy with ties to royalty/nobility and 2 axes dudes, one of which wields a hammer while the other is more balanced.

Now am I talking about FE11? Or FE6?

You decide.

Not that there's anything wrong with either.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Obviously, they're not identical but look at it this way:

You start the game with a Rapier Lord, an old Paladin in oddly coloured armour, a red haired Cavalier, a green haired cavalier, a green haired archer, a green haired knight and you have to save a castle under attack by bandits. The castle seems to have no defences of its own and the chapter starts with one of the bandits destroying a village that is impossible to save. Next chapter, you automatically recruit mercenaries, one of which is a muscled and scarred Mercenary class guy with ties to royalty/nobility and 2 axes dudes, one of which wields a hammer while the other is more balanced.

You decide.

Not that there's anything wrong with either.

FE6, because in FE11 you get three axe mooks.

OMG yes. Like, I really don't get why people bash FE6 for this. Every FE game does it to some extent.

And plus, some of the supposed "expies" don't even look like each other(most notably Ogma and Dieke, who only somewhat resemble each other and who have completely different backstories).

They all do it to some extent, but FE6 is the game that really set down the standard for what the template for "standard FE" looks like-- especially to an audience that came in during the GBA era-- and the template they decided to use borrowed a lot more from FE1 than from any of the other games. (And the template certainly borrows from the games that aren't Marth games, because things like the brother-obsessed troubadour weren't in FE1/FE3.)

Doesn't mean FE6 has a bad story or bad characters. But the basic outline it lays out for "This is what Fire Emblem is," with your rapier-toting Lord, your red knight and green knight, the one peg knight you get early, the archer and the armor guy-- that did primarily come from the Marth games playbook and it's not an attack on the game to point out that it's a successful synthesis rather than "OMG new good idea that saved FE after FE5 tanked!" which is sure what used to get said in various fan communities.

The first five games were full of original ideas. Some had immediate sticking power, some had delayed sticking power (world map, zombies) and some just got kicked to the curb (fatigue, capture, FE4's weapon management). FE6 codified a lot of the ones that did get enshrined as norms.

[FE8 vs FE5]

Fergus and Forde I'll grant you. I can see someone on the dev team saying "We need another free-spirited dude with a blond ponytail." But Vanessa can just as easily be seen as a Fury expy (younger sister of a renowned falcoknight! has a crush on her prince!) as a Karin expy, and from there it gets even more murky if you're looking for straight-up parallels.

Though I'd say if anything owes a debt to FE5, it's FE9.

MODEDIT: dog, edit, don't doublepost

Edited by Integrity

Fergus and Forde I'll grant you. I can see someone on the dev team saying "We need another free-spirited dude with a blond ponytail." But Vanessa can just as easily be seen as a Fury expy (younger sister of a renowned falcoknight! has a crush on her prince!) as a Karin expy, and from there it gets even more murky if you're looking for straight-up parallels.

Though I'd say if anything owes a debt to FE5, it's FE9.

I don't even play FE9 (however, ISO of this game is now downloading).

I just found Felgus/Karin and Forde/Vanessa dialog similar.

Before this thread spirals out even further--it is nice to note, and appreciate, that FE1 and FE6 even use the same basic commercial, opera scene and all. I always saw the game as a reinvention of the first, playing the same essential topics off in a different context, which worked quite nice.

Yeah. I have some friends who prefer FE6 above all other FE games and they get defensive over this, but it's just... beyond debate IMO. It doesn't mean FE6 didn't take some things in a different direction or develop some characters in more interesting ways than their predecessors.

I've also found it amusing that by the time you get to FE11/FE12 you have character types that post-dated the original Archanea games being inserted into the plot because hey, now everyone expects Spunky Village Girl Archer and Exotic Swordswoman.

Why would they be defensive? There's no problem in the fact that FE6 is based in FE1's story and the characters kind of look alike (except in FE6 the characters are WAY deeper, and have some great support conversations, which FE11 doesn't have at all)

Edited by Nobody

FE11 has far better characters than most people give it credit for.

In the localized versions? Because as far as I know, new content withstanding, the original version of FE11 uses the same script as its Famicom counterpart, effectively making the character depth a 1:1, pretty much.

In the localized versions? Because as far as I know, new content withstanding, the original version of FE11 uses the same script as its Famicom counterpart, effectively making the character depth a 1:1, pretty much.

FE3 script you mean? Because FE1 doesn't even have chapter openings.

But yes, the localisation did a wonderful job of taking a barebones script and turning it into marvelous.

Things like taking Marth from FE3, a complete noob and bleeding heart and turning him into an actually well developed character. Now I'm sure this part is present in the Japanese FE11 script as well but whatever.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

i guess barst was just too awesome for FE6.

Why would they be defensive? There's no problem in the fact that FE6 is based in FE1's story and the characters kind of look alike (except in FE6 the characters are WAY deeper, and have some great support conversations, which FE11 doesn't have at all)

Because some people get hypersensitive about stuff they like.

Which is why I'm going to strenously object to seeing yet again the implication that FE11 lacks great characters because it lacks the canned three-step dialogues that make for such excellent well-rounded believable characters in, say, Awakening.