Masquerade Part 1: Evil Dead

Nanami Touko

"Yeah, I guessed that... The ribbon wasn't much, but yeah, I guess the necklaces could've had somethin' to do with it. I dunno. Maybe they wouldn't have shown up for you guys if I wasn't here, or if I left without doin' a thing. And yeah, they weren't good people, but still, I didn't really have a good reason for stealin' from 'em besides that I was kinda mad, and then..." She shook her head. "Well, whatever. What's done is done. Good to see you're alright, at least. Can't have you dyin' on me, yeah? You should clean your wings, though, they're pretty dirty after that! I can help if you'd like."

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kadin blinked and looked at the man. "Trick? What exactly are you referring to? This?" He concentrated and his lance quickly materialized in his hand. "It is... one of the few blessings I have been given along with my current state. Oh. And my name is Kadin. I apologize for my rudeness."

Well that didn't work the way Lanos had planned. Valha seemed intent to take responsibilty for what she had done and it would be counter productive to try and change that for both parties. "Well if you want you could split up the gold you stole as a way of apologizing but that's up to you." When told he should clean his wings Lanos almost smacked himself, he had just been at the river washing his new sword but he didn't even think to wash wings. Caught off guard by Valha's offer to help he responded with, "Uh, sure. If you want to."

"Worry not, I can stop. I'm still too wired up after that battle to even begin to think of something like that, honestly. And hey, maybe we'll see him later. If he's got some sort of gig rigged up on the way through the woods, perhaps we'll pass by him again, if we come through here on the way back. Not that I'd want to, but it'd give you your chance to get rid of him." Ingverd found him a suitably sized stone near the river, and sat himself down on it, instead of the road like everyone else. "Valha, I can stop any time you command, my queen. Just say the word~" He bowed his head again.

----------

Vriska mustered up a small smile, wiping the rest of the tears away. It felt nice to have someone say those kinds of things to her. "Alright, Raith," was all she said to him, but her tone was a bit more chipper than before.

----------

"Hello, Raith." Makin sighed, and opened an eye at the man now sitting on the ground next to her. "Did she now? Surprised she cares at all after I throttled her like that." A groan left her lips and she shook her head. "Shouldn't have done that. Should not have done that. And what were you thinking, anyway? If she'd had at least a bit of a backbone, you'd be dead right now, you know that? Honestly... How can I look forward to chatting with you if you get yourself fried by the nearest teenage mage girl?"

She chuckled for a moment at that, but only a moment. Her face turned serious again, almost hurt. "I honestly hope you never try something like that again. Don't think I could stand to see any other comrades fall, alright? I... I know it's selfish, but still." She looked away from him, not wanting to look so weak in front of her mercenaries.

"I feel like that you're definitely the kind of person who would be thinkin' about that even right after a battle," Valha protested. "And enough with the queen stuff! Man, I'm regrettin' that comment already."

"Well, I dunno if I feel that bad about it," the harpy admitted. "Man, they were loaded! That wasn't even close to all their stuff, either. I wonder if they'd be worth checkin' for more... no, that's a line I'm not gonna cross, and the guy who ran probably had most of it anyway... Well, whatever. Here, sit still." She meticulously cleaned his feathers, watching Ingverd in the corner of her eye and eventually pausing. "Wait just a sec, I gotta do this," she whispered to him, grinning mischievously before pouncing at Ingverd and playfully shoving him into the river. "Haha, he's gonna be so mad, but he was just askin' for it! Totally worth it." She returned to Lanos, feigning innocence.

"As you decree! But, seriously, I'll stop. Get too carried up in these wonderful jokes. And ye of little faith, please. I am a gentleman, not a pervert. I swear it." He made a semi salute, before disappearing into his thoughts, closing his eyes. I do wonder if it would be worth it to try and find these people. If that man's alive, he'll obviously keep doing this, and if Ward hasn't done anything about it, perhaps they've some sort of base of operations deeper in the woods. I wonder how well manned it is if it's still running. Dammit, too many variables to consider. And Makin would be in no mood for such an adventure, not right now. Maybe after we've hit Ward.

His thoughts were broken up as he heard foot steps approaching, and heard someone talk at him. "Hmm? Asking for wh--?" He'd opened his eyes in time to get a face full of Valha's hands, shoving him into the river. He tumbled over backwards, with a large enough splash. Quickly standing himself up and taking a quick gasp for air, the now drenched elf looked at his clothes and back up at Valha. About to protest, he figured he did deserve it, at least somewhat. "Alright, alright, you can have this. Just this one time!" Hmm. With Valha having gone back to cleaning, he inconspicuously filled a pouch he'd had on him with some water, and climbed himself out of the river, back to his rock. "Guess I don't have to worry about getting cleaned up later."

"Yeah, she seems like a nice girl. A bit of a crybaby but that's what happens when you gets assaulted by thieves, dragons, and snake women all in one day, right?" he said with a small laugh. He sighed, his tone growing more serious. "I'll be more careful, but I can't make any promises. I'm used to taking lives, but when you get down to it, saving them is a lot better. If you save someone, and they end up being crooked, well, you can always kill them later, right? But if you kill someone and then find out they were a good person, well, good luck trying to bring them back to life," he said.

"I see Vriska and I can't help but think about how she's still alive because of me. Suppose I hadn't risked it. Suppose I stayed quiet, stayed away. She'd either still be with them, or we'd have cut her down like the rest of them." He paused for a moment and closed his eyes, thinking a fair bit before continuing. "Your request may be selfish, but...Hey, a little bit of selfishness is a pretty good trait to have. Lets me know you care," he laughed. "But the last person you should be worrying about is me. Sure I'm a little reckless, but that's what my bodyguard is for, haha." He curled two fingers into his mouth and whistled, waving to Opelia as she flew overhead. "Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on making conversing with the enemy a habit, but sometimes the risk is worth it, no?"

"What if you don't get to find out they're crooked until they've stabbed you in the back? What if... No, sorry." She ran her hand through her hair and slumped closer to the ground. "There's no need to argue with you over it. I'm letting my worry get the better of me and it's probably fairly obvious." Instead, she listened to him speak, and frowned a bit. He really reminds me of him... That's no good. But Raith was right, that they probably would've killed Vriska. Makin looked over at her, glanced at Raith, looked up at Ophelia, and sighed.

At the end of all of that, a smile had started on her face. "I do care. About all of you. Which is probably stupid, I've known you all for nothing but a day or two, but..." A sort of solemn look had appeared on top of her smile. "It just feels nice to surround yourself in people you can trust to have your back in everything. I sound like a sap, don't I? You'd think my life in Einad would've made me harder than this, but I guess not." She placed a hand on Raith's shoulder, trying to give him a better smile. "You're right, by the way. You saved someone's life today. So don't mind me. You see an opportunity to do the same in the future, go for it."

Lanos couldn't help but laugh when Valha admitted not feeling bad enough to split her spoils with everyone, even wondering if she should hit the thieves again. Typical Valha, quick to bounce back. "But you'll share with me... right?" he asked with the most serious tone he could muster. Obviously it was a joke but if Valha gave him some of the gold he wouldn't refuse. Of course right after that Valha went and shoved Ingverd into to water for some reason or another and Lanos couldn't help but laugh at the elf's expense, breaking what little seriousness he had. Lanos could practically see the incoming prank war, with himself unfortunately stuck in the middle.

"Yeah I'm glad you care so much mom," he said, grinning. "Yeah it's only been two days, which is why I find it rather funny that I'm sitting here next to you like this, but hey," he shrugged. "Hopefully we can add a couple more days onto these two, and then some more after that, eh?" He paused for a moment, a perplexed look on his face. "...You know you--actually never mind," he let out a chuckle. Something about you lizards...you act tough at first glance but under those tough scales...

"So, what's the plan? Don't we have a package to deliver?"

"Some for you? I dunno, maybe. I bought that sword for you already, though, so don't get your hopes up. And you just said you got payed, too. Maybe we can combine money later if we wanna buy somethin' neat." Edited by Reinfleche

Joel nodded at the ghost. "Nice to meet you, I'd shake your hand, but..." Just as he said it, he realised that was probably not in the best of taste, but he plunged on regardless. "Anyway, if you're willing, after this job is complete, I have need of some strong men. I wouldn't know what you would require or desire in terms of payment, but I'm sure we can come to an agreement."

Edited by Baldrick

"Mom? I'm not that old. Come on, now." But she did smile, and pulled herself back up with a bit of a stretch. "Then let's go add another day of walking. You're right, we need to get going. Can't leave my old friend waiting, can I?" Raith had started to say something, but hadn't finished it, making Makin wonder. "Hmm? Never mind what? Ah, you'll tell me if it matters. Call down your dragon, we're moving out again." She slid over to everyone else and called out, "hey, we're moving out again. Get yourselves ready to walk some more. I doubt we'll run into Ertel or his friends again, but keep yourselves ready to fight if we have to."

----------

Vriska pulled herself to her feet, wondering if Raith would be alright with carrying her. She didn't quite feel like walking. She walked on over to him and tugged on his arm. "You don't mind if I ride with you, do you?"

----------

Ingverd, still soaked, groaned as he stood and began dripping his way down the road. "Come along, everyone. The sooner we get there the sooner I can find an inn. Maybe I'll be dry by then."

"Oh, no, I don't mind. But it's not really me you should be asking," he said. He whistled again in the same way as he had done earlier and called out for Ophelia to come down. Having had enough of flying on her own, Ophelia obeyed without much of a fuss, and landed just a ways away. Raith walked up to her and gave her a nice rub under her chin. "Alright, here's who you should be asking. Go on. If she doesn't kill you, it's a yes. If she does, well, I guess that'll be that, eh?"

Valha made a brief scan of Lanos. "Don't think I missed anythin'. I was hopin' for a bit more time for me... ah well." She fidgeted with her hair ribbon and necklaces a bit before following just a bit behind the others.

How can he get mad at me for calling him mean when he does this to me? Vriska slowly walked herself up to the dragon, and attempted to put her hand on its head. "N-N-Nice dragon... pl-please don't eat me..." Her hand had almost reached Ophelia, but she was frozen a few inches away, too afraid to make contact.

Ophelia eyed the girl intently, but aside from that, she simply snorted once and looked back at Raith. "Haha, alright, I guess that's good enough," he said. "You're not dead, so looks like you pass." He hopped up onto Ophelia's back, and outstretched a hand towards Vriska. "I'll pull you up, so grab on," he said.

"That really was mean. And you can't get mad this time, it really was!" She frowned at Raith, reluctantly taking his hand and climbing onto the lizard. It was surprisingly warm, despite looking cool and slippery. At least that was refreshing. As soon as she'd sat herself down though, and Ophelia had begun to move, she almost fell off, latching her arms around Raith to keep herself on. "Don't think I'm doing this for anything other than holding on!" He definitely will...

----------

Despite their altercation with Ertel and his thugs, the rest of their trip went smoothly, even though they had to stay on their guard for almost all of it. Nothing but wildlife and wind rustled through the leaves of the woods. After another day of travel, less on guard and more relaxed, the gates opening to the tree top village of Ward came into view! And it was a wonderful sight, many folks wandering about, talking, trading, going about their business; the entire city was moving as pulleys and elevators lowered and raised those on the move. And at the top of one of them, a wild haired centaur covered in a chestnut colored tunic began his decent towards the group.

"Hello, Makin! My friend, I see you have made it to my fair city! I welcome you, and your band. I do hope that travel was as calm as the trees themselves." His voice was a bit shaky. He seemed to have been worried, and Makin had some idea as to why.

"It wasn't. Got attacked by a gang led by a man named Ertel. I suppose that's what you're worried about, eh, Markus?" She crossed her arms at him, hoping for some explanation.

"Ahhh, yes... I was hoping you would've avoided such." He furrowed his brows for a moment, before addressing her with a smile. "Come, we shall speak of this at my manse. The rest of you are free to wander the houses below or above the trees. We have some wonderful people living here, and some of them have terribly interesting hobbies. Why, there's a little old lady near the edge of town who says she can predict your future! What a thought! Alas, I won't keep your boss for long, so please make yourselves at home amongst the trees." He waved his hand towards the beautiful city, before ushering Makin to follow after him towards the elevator that he'd just come down on.

"I'll meet you all at the inn after I'm done talking with him, so don't stray too far!" she shouted back at everyone, as the lift began its ascent.

"Ah, before I forget!" Markus tossed a small sac down at Ingverd, who clumsily caught it. "Your pay for delivering the bow! I'm sorry you had to go through much worse for so little!"

"Wha--!" Ingverd had managed to catch it, hearing the jingling of gold. "Alright, hold on..." He doled out three hundred gold to all there, sighing. "At least I'm dry now! I'm gonna hit the blacksmith, so I'll bother any of you that go as well. Maybe he can fix up my sword; I didn't want to use it so early..." Ingverd began to wander off in the direction of the blacksmith's; having been to Ward plenty of times before, he knew the city well.

Vriska had quickly climbed off of Raith's dragon when they arrived. I wonder if there's anything for me to do here? "Hey, Raith, what do you want to do? Er-- not that I need to do it with you, I just... Don't think I'd be well off talking to any of the others..."

//You can visit many places in Ward: the Armory, the Vendor, the Magic Shop (all located in the trees), the Fortune Teller (located on the ground), the Inn (in the trees), the Blacksmith (on the ground), and the Town Center (in the trees), where many people gather to barter items and trade.

Edited by I have opinions

"Hold that thought for a second," he said, as he dismounted Ophelia. He walked up to Ophelia and whispered something in her ears, to which she responded immediately by outstretching her wings and taking flight. "Wait by the gate when you're done!" he called out.

"Right so, apparently, we get to do whatever for a while," he said turning back to face Vriska. "Now let's see...what did that guy say? Hmm, well, we could go see that fortune teller lady. That could be kinda fun, right? I mean, unless there's someplace else you want to go? I don't really care either way, can't say I've been here before so anything is good for me."

Valha looked around the town embed within the trees with joy. "Woah, this place is awesome. There's so much to do and lots of room." She looked over her own and Lanos's gold with glee. "We have a whole bunch! Should we save it or maybe buy a couple of things? Or maybe see what's goin' on with the fortune teller thing, that sounds cool! Even just checkin' out the inn and town center could be neat. Hmm, what do you think?"

"That sounds kinda fun. I've talked to her before. Here, I'll show you the way. Don't get lost, alright?" Vriska went off in a direction that seemed to be heading to the other end of the village, hoping Raith was good at keeping up.

It wasn't like he had to follow her for long though, since the size of the city below the trees was fairly small. The teller's house, far smaller than the others, stood out against the back gate of the city. "Here! Come on, she's a nice lady. Maybe she'll tell you your true love, ohhhh~" Vriska said, in a mocking tone. Obviously the atmosphere of the city was raising her spirits fairly well. "Hilda, I'm coming in! I brought someone to get their fortune told!"

"This place looks...interesting." You just barged into her house, without even asking. How does tha--Never mind, I don't even care. "Alright, I guess knocking was out of the question," he said as he walked through the door. "So, I take it you're acquainted rather well with this Hilda person?"

"There is no need to knock, young man!" a deeper voice called out from inside, "my house is open to anyone who wishes to enter. Though I do appreciate your courtesy." As the pair made their way into the house, they were greeted by a woman obviously in her fifties. The signs of aging were apparent on her face and she walked with a cane, but she still stood straight and held a wide smile on her face. Her eyes were barely open between the strands of dark hair falling down her face. "Welcome. I am Hilda, and I am a diviner, of sorts. Your name... It is Raith, is it not?" She sat herself at a small table, folding her arms.

"See? Told you. Kinda fun." Vriska held a certain smug smile on her face.

His mouth was left agape when Hilda managed to guess his name correctly. Or perhaps in this case, it was incorrect to call it a guess, but even so...Very funny. "Yeah...that happens to be my name. You're not my grandmother in disguise or anything, are you?" Raith asked, clearly unconvinced that this woman had actually managed to figure out his name through some higher power. But in the spirit of things, he sat down at the table anyway. "So, Hilda, right? How much do you want?" he asked, fumbling around in his pack for the gold Ingverd had given him just a short while ago. Vriska calls me old, but what about her? She's pretty much ancient...

"Hmm... the fortune teller sounds like it'd be interesting. We can always buy things after we do that," Lanos said after some consideration. I'm curious about it as well, though I hope the person can tell us something useful, like future market booms. And I want to put off the prankwar for as long as possible.