Masquerade Part 1: Evil Dead

Nanami Touko

"This axe was made by my apprentice. I figured I might as well put his practice weapons to some practical purpose... but I have been thinking it needs some touching up. How about 100 gold's worth on each of the two weapons?"

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Alright, I'll take a look at the bow." he said, taking it from the merchant and trying to get a feel for it. He wasn't entirely sure he could wield the thing, not just in terms of skill with the bow but also with how heavy it looked, but it didn't hurt to try, he supposed.

Practical Uses

"Aye, if that's what you want, I can give 'em both a go. Leave 'em here with me for a while and come back tonight. I'll be done by then. Keep your gold though, the job's gotta be satisfactory before I get paid." He took both of the weapons and immediately got started on the axe, the one he felt needed the most work.

Ingverd had watched their interaction, wondering if he should just pony up the gold to fix his precious sword that entire time. He knew that getting it forged would be far too expensive, so that was definitely out of the question. An audible sigh escaped him, and he decided to leave. "Perhaps the market will have something I can feast my eyes on. Have a good one, Joel." And out he left, making his way to the town center.

Trials

"It might seem a bit heavy at first, but you'll get used to it, with those arms o' yers. Here, make you a deal and cut it for you at six hundred. You seem like the only one capable of using it that's gonna pass by here today, and I'd like to make some money! These centaurs, they might be good with a bow, but with them it's all finesse. So, wha'd'you say?" He clapped his hands together and rubbed them together slightly.

"Hmm... I don't know. It does look useful, but I don't think I can afford this anymore..." Maja pondered, a bit disappointed, but maybe the merchant would be flexible about his selling terms? "Well, uh, I could still be interested if you accepted trading for something else. I have a staff I might not need so much anymore, and some medicine..."

Kendeall hefted the wood he'd gathered whilst in the woods into town with him, so that he would be able to use it for firewood later. Scanning the town, he began to wonder what he was going to do... and then he decided that he needed to drop his firewood. So he headed to the inn to get a room to put it in.

Kendeall heads to the inn.

Edited by Polydeuces

"Huh, I doubt anythin' in the future could really frighten me much. Good seein' you 'n stuff, though!" Valha walked in to the building with a confident smirk. "Hello! Raith said your name is Hilda, right? Can you tell me about the future?" Edited by Reinfleche

Barter

"I could, perhaps, trade it for your Heal staff there. It might not be an entirely fair trade for you, but I can't give away such a weapon for just medicine. I hope you understand." He held an apologetic smile, though he did want her to make the deal. Low ranking healing staffs were always good for trade.

A Good Drink

A set up elevators led Kendeall to a wonderfully crafted building, with a large sign hanging out front that said 'inn'. A well set man, wearing a deep red tunic greeted him.

"Oi, welcome to the inn!" he called out to Kendeall. "What can I do you fer, sir? A drink, a room, some food? Spare some pocket change and we'll set you up!"

Elevator Adventure

"The inn? We've gotta take the elevators up. Watch out while we're going, if you fall off you're not coming back up." With her slightly grim warning, Vriska led Raith to where they'd entered, dragging him onto the nearest elevator and pushing the lever on it. The strong chains and ropes that worked the pulley system began to lift it into trees.

Once up there, the same inn Kendeall had just entered was the nearest building, and so she brought herself in. "I don't need anything, so I'll wait here. You can eat or get a drink here, or just talk to the inn keeper about what's going on. He's normally well informed."

Back to The Future

Almost as soon as the ghost had left, more guests invaded Hilda's house. It was the most people she'd seen in one day for a long while. "Hello, Valha, Lanos. I figured his friends would be ending up here, soon enough. My, my house has been so busy. Please, sit down, if you're so willing. I'm sure you've already been warned not to freak out, as it were." She chuckled softly, waving her hands towards a seat for the girl to sit on.

Serious Discussion

"Dammit, Markus, I knew you'd act like this!" Makin slammed her fist against the table they'd been talking over. After taking her up the elevator, he'd invited her into his lavish looking manse, the same house used by every mayor the city had seen. Conversation had started off cordial, but it had soon turned sour, as Makin mentioned the group that had attacked them again. Markus didn't want to discuss it, but Makin had insisted, even suggesting that her group search out their fort and rout them all. "You know you can't stop me, if they agree, right? We'll even find their fort ourselves! One of my men brought a mage of theirs to our side during that little escapade. I'm willing to bet she knows where their fort is."

Edited by I have opinions

"Woah, is that some sorta magic trick that you knew my name? But it can't be, you don't have one of those fancy books. Is that part of your future deal, too?" She sat down, clearly already impressed. "I can promise you I won't freak out! The future's got nothin' that could make me scared, so no worries there."

Serious Discussion

"Dammit, Markus, I knew you'd act like this!" Makin slammed her fist against the table they'd been talking over. After taking her up the elevator, he'd invited her into his lavish looking manse, the same house used by every mayor the city had seen. Conversation had started off cordial, but it had soon turned sour, as Makin mentioned the group that had attacked them again. Markus didn't want to discuss it, but Makin had insisted, even suggesting that her group search out their fort and rout them all. "You know you can't stop me, if they agree, right? We'll even find their fort ourselves! One of my men brought a mage of theirs to our side during that little escapade. I'm willing to bet she knows where their fort is."

Markus sighed. He was hoping that he could avoid this, but it had already escalated, and he knew that Makin wouldn't be one that would drop it easily.

"Oh, believe me, I know that all too well, and you're acting just like I expected, too." Markus lifted himself up from the table to give himself some space. He thought about what Makin had just said, and became rather anxious.

"You brought one of those thugs here? How do you know they are not more willing to stab us in the back rather than help you locate them?"

Markus paused for a moment, and turned back to Makin.

"Even so... I can't risk you bringing them back to the town. This goes deeper than you know, Makin."

Edited by Tryhard

"Ehhh..." Maja stopped to ponder for a bit. "You know what? I think I can part with that staff, I can make do. Deal." She nodded to the merchant. For her, that was being quite a neat deal! Edited by Xinnidy

The Future of The Queen

"Well! It's good to see you so enthusiastic. Let us begin, then." She carefully took Valha's claw, and began to hum to herself a little, eyes closed. Just a jaunty tune to calm her nerves after the ghost's appearance. It quickly ended, and she opened her eyes again. "So... Your name is Valha Nix. You come from a rather terrible place... The slums? My, that must have been hard on your friend. But not you. You're...uncharacteristically brave for a harpy, aren't you? How wonderful."

She smiled at the bird woman, concentrating a bit more. "Now, the future... hmm... Well, you're going to face the same situation as your friend, Raith. A large battle lies ahead... Oh! There's...someone there, with a terrible looking sword. And...he's... You've tried to steal something from him, but..." She stopped, frowning. "I would advise you to be cautious. I could not tell you what it looked like, but I saw it tearing through your wings as if they were butter. That is all I can warn. My, I wish the future was more bright for you mercenary folk..." She sighed, trying to calm herself once again, before looking to Lanos. "What about you, my boy? Care for a try?" Perhaps he'll have something positive in his future.

A Deal Done

"Alright! The spear is yours! I hope you have a wonderful day, miss!" He cheerfully handed her the implement and took her staff, looking it over. "A bit worn, but still in good shape. Can probably get a passing mage to fill it back up for a small fee. This'll sell wonderfully. Make good use of that spear!"

Tensions Flare

"If you know, then please, don't try to stop me. I can't just let them keep doing this; we were obviously not the first group they'd attacked, and they won't stop just because we killed some of their men." She'd coiled her tail around one of the table legs in frustration, squeezing it. "She's not a thug, she's just a girl. The man that had attacked us, it seems like he'd convinced her to fight for them. I haven't wrung the details out of her yet, but I will."

Obviously Markus wasn't being convinced, which was only adding to her frustration. "Markus, what happened to you? You used to be all for this kind of thing, helping those that can't help themselves! Has sitting in this office started to wear on your nerve!?" She gripped the table harder. "Then we'll kill them all! Not like they deserve much better for what they've done, and I can't forgive them for trying to kill my mercenaries. If this goes deeper than I know, then let me know, dammit!" A loud snap echoed through the room and silenced Makin, as her tail has finally made the table's leg give way, some of the contents falling to the floor with soft and loud thuds.

She recoiled back from the table, throwing her face into her hand with a groan. "I-I'm sorry, I'll pay for that, I just... I remember when Ward was a safe place to be, and now thieves walk the roads? And why? Because some brute found a fort and decided it was a good idea. I... I can't just leave and let it keep happening. When's the next capable group of people going to come through here? And I doubt you're going to want to get your own people to try. Listen," she started, trying to calm herself, "I'll ask everyone else, and if they don't think it's a good idea, we'll leave. I promise. But at least let us try."

"Mmm, okay. If you're sure you don't want anything," he said, stepping into the inn after her. He scanned the immediate area, but there was no sight of Makin. Oh what a bother, how long does she plan on taking? He made his way to the inn-keeper, "Oi! Nice to meet you my good sir. I'm not really from around these parts, care to tell me what's been going on as of late in Ward?"

Edited by Vestige

"Wow, looks like you know what you're doing," Lanos said when Hilda greeted them both by name. As Valha's turn ended, Lanos couldn't help but be concerned for both himself and Valha. If it was effective against one of them it was effective against both and he doubted Valha would be deterred by a threat of pain. Though he did his best to put it out of his mind for the time being -he was trying to stop being such a worrywart- and sat down, holding out his claw for Hilda to take.

Angus' face lit up when he heard about the price drop. "Well then," he said, counting out the merchant's payment. "I suppose I can't exactly refuse that." He handed the gold to the man in exchange for the new weapon. It HAD felt a little on the heavy side, but he'd get used to it. And if they ran into anyone donned in a suit of heavy armour, they were in for a surprise.

A Jolly Man

Not getting an answer from his first patron, he decided to answer the new one that has just bustled his way into the inn. "What's been happenin' in Ward? Well, just about everythin'! Trade, art, talk, and to top it all off, bandits! A big group of 'em moved in deep into the woods. They haven't bothered the town though, so we're not too worried about 'em. Who'd be silly enough to attack Ward? We've so many able men and woman they'd be driven off in an instant!" He let out a guffaw after his little speech, leaning on the counter. "So, what can I do ye fer? A drink? A room?"

For the Birds

Hilda was surprised that Valha hadn't said anything in response to her visions, but she figured that everyone reacted differently. Turning to Lanos with a smile, she took his claw and started to focus. "Hmm. I doubt you want to hear the same thing I told her, so for you, I'll look a little further. Can't be too specific though, or I'd go out of business!" With a small laugh, she started to delve into what the world had in store for the bird man, a small smile beginning on her face. "My, my, I didn't think that... Ohhh. You're going to meet a man, a mage and...he's going to give you... Hmmhmmhmm, that was pleasant. Sorry I can't tell you more. You'll have to pay me for the specifics." She let go of his claws, still holding her smile. "Finally, a good future to come out of you mercenaries. Oh, I have something for you both, as I did your friends, if you'd like. I'm going to have to start brewing more if my only visitors are mercenaries."

Big Bows

"Six hundred gold, a good sale, my good man! I do hope you enjoy yer bow, and make the best of it. Good doing business with you." He quickly took the gold and stuffed it into a chest under his table. "I doubt I've got anything else for you, though. Sorry to say. I'd be glad to take your gold if I did, though! Gahahaha!" The man laughed happily, glad his day was going well.

Bandits, eh? Well, gee, whoever could he possibly be talking about? Raith silently mused to himself as the innkeeper told him the general happenings of the town. The bandits hadn't attacked the town, oh no, but they did a damn well job at attacking anyone trying to get there. "Man, what a boring place. No scandals? No corruption? No monsters roaming about? Even the bandits can't be bothered to come here," he said, jokingly. "Ah well, all the better for you guys, isn't it? A glass of water would be great, and some food. I don't really care what, just about anything will do."

Valha sat quietly throughout Lanos's fortune, quietly contemplating what she was told. As the older woman went to retrieve something, the harpy piped up. "Hey, thanks. I'll look out for that guy, yeah? I get the feelin' I know who you're talkin' about... gotta be a little careful, at least."

Tensions Flare

"If you know, then please, don't try to stop me. I can't just let them keep doing this; we were obviously not the first group they'd attacked, and they won't stop just because we killed some of their men." She'd coiled her tail around one of the table legs in frustration, squeezing it. "She's not a thug, she's just a girl. The man that had attacked us, it seems like he'd convinced her to fight for them. I haven't wrung the details out of her yet, but I will."

Obviously Markus wasn't being convinced, which was only adding to her frustration. "Markus, what happened to you? You used to be all for this kind of thing, helping those that can't help themselves! Has sitting in this office started to wear on your nerve!?" She gripped the table harder. "Then we'll kill them all! Not like they deserve much better for what they've done, and I can't forgive them for trying to kill my mercenaries. If this goes deeper than I know, then let me know, dammit!" A loud snap echoed through the room and silenced Makin, as her tail has finally made the table's leg give way, some of the contents falling to the floor with soft and loud thuds.

She recoiled back from the table, throwing her face into her hand with a groan. "I-I'm sorry, I'll pay for that, I just... I remember when Ward was a safe place to be, and now thieves walk the roads? And why? Because some brute found a fort and decided it was a good idea. I... I can't just leave and let it keep happening. When's the next capable group of people going to come through here? And I doubt you're going to want to get your own people to try. Listen," she started, trying to calm herself, "I'll ask everyone else, and if they don't think it's a good idea, we'll leave. I promise. But at least let us try."

Markus shifted anxiously as Makin rattled through a small tirade, wincing as Makin broke the table leg. He cleared his throat.

"I don't want to see you all dying out there, alright? Maybe this place has dulled my senses, but I still don't see the reason to go knocking down doors, especially when Ward themselves can't track this group down. They're crafty, that's for sure." Markus looked over at his now-broken table and sighed a little. "And Makin, it's been a while since I've seen you care so much for your companions." He gave a small smile. "Getting attached, are we?"

"If you say the girl is trustworthy, then so be it." He was finally giving in, as he always seemed to do. Makin had a certain amount of persuasion about her, even if he didn't want to admit it. "I still don't think it's a good idea, but go talk to the others, and perhaps I will overlook it... this time."

He began to walk around a little, before gesturing to Makin at his table. "Well, you don't have to pay for that. On old times. Just get back to the rest, yeah? Maybe if you channelled some of that frustration I wouldn't even have to worry, would I?"

Edited by Tryhard

Well, she's certainly pulling out all the stops to get my money, Lanos thought when Hilda finished his fortune. Although he knew it would probably eat at him for a good while, perhaps even until the event passed, he wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Had she kept that it was a pleasent event from him he'd probably have handed over his gold just so he could sleep at night without worry. "Thanks for the fortune," Lanos said as Hilda went to get them something. At least she gives out a lot of freebies...

Scandals!?

"I would hope there aren't any! I'm well glad this place is as peaceful as it is! I mean, well... Scandals..." He furrowed his brow as if thinking, opening his mouth to say something and then closing it again. He finally found the words he was looking for, though he wasn't sure if he should be repeating them. "Well... They say the armourer's wife's been sleeping around with the magic shop owner. Y'lookin' fer that kinda scandal? 'S'long as you don't go tellin' anyone. 'Specially not the armourer, no sir." He stopped for a moment before musing to himself, "I shouldn't'a told you that. I should not have told you that."

Potions Galore!

As Hilda returned from the third trip to her back room, she help two potions in hand. "I do apologize; these potions of mine, they only effect the magical qualities of a person, except in rare cases. The one I gave your ghost friend was one of those, but I don't have a lot on hand, and the others I have are far, far too precious to simply give away. These only take a day to make, and they're all natural. The taste my offend some palettes, though. Anyway, my point was that I don't know how useful a boost to your magical resistance will be. I apologize for not having anything related to strength, or speed." She handed one to each harpy, settling back down into her chair.

"If you see any of your friends, feel free to send them over. I assume that Angus and Maja would do well from a reading. I can't tell for certain what, but I know they've both got something hanging around them. That Kendeall seems odd, though. So does this Joel. Hmm." Hilda mused.

Settling Down

She hissed at him, though it was halfhearted. "Maybe I should've stayed in the desert. The snakes out there never seemed to care so much. I guess regular life has made me soft. Like humans. They're so squishy, how do they survive?" She shook her head, getting back on topic. "I don't know if she's trustworthy, but she isn't a thug. I shouldn't have scared her like I did earlier, but she's taken a liking to one of the group. He'll get the directions out of her if I can't."

She was still embarrassed about breaking his table. Really should visit the desert again. Would give me a lesson on how to control these emotions again. "We won't die. That's something I won't accept. Maybe I will channel this frustration into fighting. Give them a good stabbing." She finally smirked, waving him off. "You won't have to worry, alright? We'll be back in a few days and you'll be happy you OK'd this. I'll be off, then." Her situation resolved, she left his office, making her way to the inn. I could really use a drink, right about now.

Joel was about to head to the inn, then felt his pockets. Only that much? he still hadn't returned what he promised the birdman. Having the debt on him made him uncomforable, more so that his current thrist.

His plans to have a quiet drink foiled, (in hindsight, maybe he could have only had one of his weapons forged), he asked the nearest passerby what sort of entertainment he could get in this town for free. He was told to head to the fortune-teller's place. That stuff's all hokey nonsense, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

"Magic resistance? No complaints from me. Anythin' that helps against stuff I can't hit back against seems good! I'll be sure to let 'em know about you, yeah? Thanks again." She headed out alongside Lanos, looking around as she exited. "There's still a whole lot to do, huh? I'm thinkin' we should split up for a bit. You can see what sorta stuff is around in the market, 'n I'll check out the armory. I'll meet up with you at the market and then we could head back. Sound good?" Edited by Reinfleche

Raith slammed his hand on the table in front of him, "Aye, now that's a scandal there!" he exclaimed. "That Hilda lady tells you about your future, but in the end, it's actually kinda boring. I mean, sooner or later you'll find out the future yourself right? I mean, it is your future after all," he said. His eyes began to gleam as he spoke his next words, "But this...this is...my, my, what an interesting life you live, Mrs. Armorer's Wife, wahahaha!"

To an unsuspecting onlooker, it would appear as though Raith had gone a little hay-wire, however, his grand-scheme had yet to unfold. He grabbed the innkeeper by the collar and brought him close, face to face even, and whispered, "I can't say for certain whether or not I'll be able to keep my mouth shut, but if someone could bring me something to eat, that may just do the trick..." He leaned in even closer, "especially if there are discounts involved," he said, eyes narrowing.

"Oh and water would be nice," he added, sitting back down--his tone as chipper as ever. If you had brought my food earlier Mr. Inn Keeper, perhaps we could have avoided this all together, alas...I wonder if he'd actually give me the discount. Or maybe he'll just throw me out? Ah well, I've got the rest of Hilda's drin--He shuddered. No, never-mind. Eh, worse comes to worst I'll just have Vriska order for me instead. Yeah, that'll work out just fine.

"Thanks for the potion, I'm sure it'll help," Lanos thanked Hilda before following Valha out. When she suggested splitting up his immediate inward response was 'no' for obvious reasons considering Valha was asking him to go to the no doubt higher populated place. Though after be actually thought about it he figured this was a chance to indirectly show that he had at least the beginnings of a backbone. "S-sure," Lanos said, still trying to muster his courage. "With any luck there'll be something neat to buy!" he said with forced excitement so that Valha wouldn't worry, she knew that he wasn't good with people.

As he started heading towards the market he hoped it would soon turn into genuine excitement after a good buy.

Lanos heads to the market!