Masquerade Part 1: Evil Dead

Nanami Touko

Kendeall sighed as one by one, the group headed to bed. He wasn't quite ready to turn in for the night, but he also wasn't a fan of drinking alone. Slowly, his thoughts drifted to the coming mission, and though Makin assured him that it was just a routine delivery and nothing more, something still bugged him about the matter. Motioning to the bartender, he asked for both one more drink and a raw cut of meat. He figured that he may as well put his new tome to good use; plus it'd be good practice to make sure he could still use the damn thing.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yes, I'll be fine down here. Sleep well. You will be safe." The ghost watched her head upstairs before heading outside the inn, where he settled down to wait out the long night, alone with his scattered memory.

That's the lot of them. Still need to talk with someone before we get this all on the road... Makin glanced back at Charlie, who seemed more than a little nervous. The women sighed.

----------

The next morning would come quickly for the mercenaries, as the sun burst through the inn's windows. The lot of you began to stir, and wake. Makin sat, already awake, at a table near the inn's bar. She had a rather tired expression on her face. Ingverd sat next to her, shifting between awake and asleep. Charlie was nowhere to be seen. Poking out of Makin's pack, his mend staff could be seen. You'd all been informed, either through overhearing it or assuming, that you'd be able to stop for restocking before leaving on the trip. But what could've happened to the quiet healer?

"Boy, that healer guy must've had one hell of a rowdy night if he left his healing stave here." Kendeall joked as he came down from his room and saw the stave poking out of Makin's pack, tome in hand and axe slung on his back. "Or do you think he decided that he was done with the group? Wouldn't be surprised if he got scared that we'd have to fight monsters again and ran away... poor guy."

"Who knows?" Angus half yawned, rubbing his eyes. He wished that he could've grabbed a few more hours of sleep (it sure looked like the boss needed it too), but he supposed that being able to restock was more important. "We'll probably be fine if it's just a courier mission, but if he's not up for it, I guess we'll have to pick up the slack." Suddenly, picking up an extra vulnerary or five didn't seem like a bad idea, if they were down a healer and got into a battle on the way. The other didn't seem incapable of doing her job or anything, but she was a tad... different, he supposed was the nice way to put it. The ghost felt comfortable around her at least, he supposed.

Edited by SB.

"He...decided to stay here. He's had enough of fighting and thinks he'd be better off helping out a village, instead." She sighed. "Anyway, don't worry about that. Just get whatever shopping you need done before we leave. I heard from Ingverd that he told some of you about the village's prices. They're pretty good, so stock up." She tried her best to smile, but it was fairly obvious that Charlie's leave was bothering her.

Raith had gotten up earlier than most, and had actually spent a fair amount of time tending to Ophelia. "I think we'll have some fun here. Heck, I hear the boss can talk to dragons! Wont that be fun? Then you can tell her how much you truly dislike me," he chuckled. Ophelia grunted in response, as she usually did when Raith talked to her. Sometimes she would growl, but only sometimes.

It was better when she didn't.

His next order of business was to spend some of that money he made. He walked to a nearby shop and surveyed the "goods". There really wasn't anything interesting enough that caught his eye, but what he did see would suffice. "You wouldn't mind if I buy that off your hands, would you?" he said, pointing to the healing staff. The shopkeeper was happy to oblige to Raith's request. With his work completed, he headed back to the inn, in time to hear of Charlie's supposed, 'quitting'. He quickly recalled the story Ingverd had told him the night before, and it really wasn't much of a surprise.

"Well hey, if we're in need of a replacement, perhaps I can do the job," he said, waving his newly bought staff around. "It's uh...something I used to do. Haven't had much practice with it, but I'm still better than medicine."

Edited by Vestige

Maja finally went down the stairs, notably late. She overslept, and wasn't feeling up to her usual cheeriness. "Um, hello, everybody..." She said, not making much of an eye contact as she approached Makin, Ingverd, and the others close to the table. "...Where's that priest guy? Is he still sleeping too?... mmm." Maja let out a muffled yawn as she stretched her arms.

Joel looked in his bag, digging for gold coins that simply weren't there. Makin had told him his axe was too heavy to be really effective, but the only other weapon in his price range was a lance, which he found rather unwieldy. Excuse me? Would you take 300 gold for this sword?" If necessary, he could always sell his vulnerary to make up the difference. The troop would likely have a few spares laying around.

"You can? That's good to know. Seems more people than I thought can use magic in this little group," she said to Raith. Makin smiled a little more, happy to know how reliable these people were. Old friends come and go, new ones are right around the corner. Or something chummy and silly like that. Of course, Maja had appeared to bring her back down a little, but it wasn't the girl's fault. "He'll be staying here. And he said to give you this." She grabbed the mend staff and thrust it at Maja. "It's a bit used, but it'll do more than your staff'll ever do. Use it if you have to, though I hope no one gets hurt enough for that." She yawned, realizing how tired she was. She'd stayed up talking to Charlie about it, trying to convince him otherwise. "I'm going to stay here until you're all done. Need to rest. Feel free to chat though, not that tired. Unlike this idiot," she pointed at Ingverd as she spoke.

----------

"Are you sure there's no way you can pony up fifty more gold, sir?" the shop keep asked Joel. "We don't make too much, since mercenaries don't really travel through here a lot. Get stuck makin' farm equipment for the folks around town."

Edited by I have opinions

Cocking his head over to Maja, Kendeall smirked and began to drink a mug of water that the innkeeper had generously given him. "Well, look at you, getting more responsibility. I bet you're proud of yourself." He said in a surprisingly not sarcastic tone. Maybe he was slipping, or maybe this girl was growing on him. Or perhaps it was the ever so slight hint of a hangover he'd been feeling develop since he woke up.

... Yeah, it was definitely the hangover. Kendeall let out a light grunt as he took another swig of his water and sat at the table.

Lanos seemed to be the last of those to wake up, or at least he assumed so as he saw everyone was already down in the lobby sans the ghost, who was probably just invisible, and the priest, whom Lanos over heard that had apparently quit, as he came downstairs. Win some lose some. His thoughts still, for some odd reason, on the monsters from yesterday he remembered how badly he wanted a sword. Only until he was at the armoury, and overheard Joel asking for a sword was he reminded Valha was supposedly getting him one. Had he missed her in the inn or...?

Reluctantly he reached for his bag of (shiny) gold(â„¢). "How much do you need?" he asked with a sigh. Although he was against the notion of giving away his money he couldn't ignore the fact that they were down a healer and they needed to conserve their vulneraries.

Edited by Oersted

"Oh... Yeah, I can use that." Maja said, as she took the staff and observed it. "It'll do better than my other staff..." She stopped for a moment, recalling what Makin was talking about before addressing her. "...There are other magic users here? I didn't see anybody else using magic at the zombie battle, huh. If anybody can use staves, they should get my other staff, or see if they're selling any before we-- oh." She just then realized Raith, which she took for a lanceman so far, was holding a healing staff much akin to hers. "That should... somehow make our healing job better for now." Lances and staff too? Just like me! Maybe I should ask him some help later...

"... I'll do my best on healing duty, don't you worry." She said, it didn't take a genius to feel the boss wasn't all that happy with the priest guy staying.

Edited by Xinnidy

Joel put his Vulnerary on the counter. "Would I be able to get 50 gold for this?"

Before the shopkeeper could reply, the bird-man behind Joel spoke up. He didn't look too enthused about it so Joel sought to reassure him. "Only a pittance. 50 gold. You will get it back double once I get my first pay, worry not."

Edited by Baldrick

"Ah, is that all?" Lanos asked as he fished out the 50 gold and put it on the counter. "That should be it." He'd expected Joel to be down at least three times as much as he was. As such he felt relieved he was parting with only half of a hundred gold and so, not to mention he'd also be receiving an additional half hundred gold when they were paid next, he was less reluctant about parting with his (shiny) gold.

"Oh! A bird, flyin' into my shop. What amusement. Can you actually carry yerself with those wings?" the shopkeep asked, trying to tone down his enthusiasm as he pulled a sword over. "Finest work here, not that that's too much. But it'll last you. Thanks fer your patronage, sirs." He quickly took the gold and flashed a smile at the both of them.

"...Right! Before it's too late, there's something I need to do!" She bowed, and left the group and inn for the more pressing matter --in her mind, at least-- of getting a lance to defend herself with.

Entering the armory, she noticed her bird buddy and an old man discussing something with the armorer. Not wanting to bother their conversation much, but still intent of purchasing a weapon, Maja approached from the side. [color-#ffa07a]"Excuse me, sir."[/color] She spoke up. "One iron lance, please~." She started counting her gold.

"Oh, sure thing, lass!" the man said, pulling one off a rack of many. "That'll be three hundred gold pieces. Goodness, so many mercenaries today. D'you have a band running through the town? Wouldn't that be somethin'!" He laughed, setting the lance down on the counter.

"Hahaha, sorta like that, mmm. We're going to leave soon, so it's better to ready up!" Maja nodded, counting up to the given amount and promptly exchanging it for a new lance. "Well then! I'll leave you to your costumers there, if you won't mind." Maja bowed, then turned away to leave the armory just as quickly as she entered it. Her mood was almost back to the usual happy self.

Angus passed several of the other mercenaries on the way to buy a spear, but didn't care to acknowledge them much, still half asleep. He assumed he was one of the last ones, but didn't care too much. Upon entering the armory, he quickly located a fine looking iron lance, and said to the shopkeeper: "I'll take this lance, I think.", and reached for the necessary gold.

"Enjoy yerself lass-- Oh! And who might you be? Another lance? By golly, I think this is the most gold I've made in months! I'll be able to pay for food for a good while thanks to you mercenaries, bless you all." With a hearty laugh he pulled another lance off the rack and held it towards Angus.

Lanos had been about to respond to the man when Maja came in and asked for a lance. He decided to wait until she was done to answer the man but Angus walked in shortly after, also asking for a lance. With Angus' purchase out of the way, and the fact Lanos didn't think Angus would say anything to the armorer, Lanos finally answered the man. ​"It's how most harpies travel; our wings'd be pretty useless if we couldn't actually fly with them. Much faster than walking and much safer as well. Hard to get mugged while up in the sky." He thought better of mentioning it was also how most harpies managed to steal shiny things so easily.

With that he flew back to the inn.

Edited by Oersted

Kendeall remained in the inn, seeing as how he had all that he needed from before: the axe he left with, the Fire tome from Makin, the Halberd from Angus, and the Vulnerary he'd purchased before.