Ys Game Giveaway

Crimson Red

Gonna keep this (relatively) short*:

I have over 10 copies of Ys games I'm giving away to people who have NEVER PLAYED ANY YS GAME BEFORE AT ALL. This is something I occasionally do to get people into the series. The Ys games are being given via Steam, so you must have a Steam account to play them. If you want one, all you need to do is post on why you want to try the Ys game and could use the copy. If I'm convinced you're actually going to give it a try and don't just want it for the sake of having free games because you're greedy and selfish, and I still have the game you want, then you'll probably get it. (Call me rude but I'm hoping the guilt of my name-calling will turn away the green-eyed monsters :P)

I only have a couple copies of Ys Origin and Ys Oath in Felghana but I have multiple copies of Ys 1&2 Chronicles. By basic logic you're less likely to get the first two games since they're worth more and there are less copies of them (supply/demand ho... capitalism ho! ...I may have a free copy of Recettear to giveaway as well #references).

This is going on in multiple forums so if you really want it, just make a convincing post. Oh, and include your Steam ID please. Naturally, I reserve the right to refuse anyone a copy regardless of when they post or whatever. The whole point of this is to get newcomers who are on the edge/want to try it to try the series. If you can afford the game on your own and are going to buy it on your own eventually and just want to save $5, please be kind and let someone who cannot afford it or who might never end up playing the series have it instead. Thank you for your understanding. :)

As for why you may want the Ys games: action-packed, awesome music, long-standing series, decent stories (the games are more about gameplay, not going to pretend the stories are the deepest things ever--look at Trails in the Sky if depth is what you want), a great challenge overall, and it's just a great fast-paced addicting (IMO) series. Note that Ys 1&2 use the "bump" combat system IIRC and are a little bit more hardcore/retro but they're still good games (and they come in a package as one game, in case that wasn't clear).

I think we have to be friends for me to send the gift, so you can add me if needed: my Steam ID is BBaller1337.

*Not really, my plans to keep things short never work out lol

Update: PM me if you still want a copy; I won't be checking this thread anymore.

- Blazer

Edited by Blazer

Just wondering, where did you get all the copies from? Did you buy them yourself (considering Ys 1&2 Chronicles is on flash sale right now)?

I've played Ys Origin already (and yes, I quite liked it), though, so not going for any of your copies (I also have Recettear). You must be quite the dedicated fan for something like this (just felt like ending this post with another sentence in parentheses).

I've.really been trying to get into the Ys series, and I've enjoyed what I've played of I & II on tgfx16 and a bit of Ys Seven. I'd like to get the other ones I'm steam, but, alas, I'm.poor/can't.manage money, so yeah. This seems like a great thing.you're doing, btw.

I.can't believe I had no.typos there. Nevermind that last part

Wait crap that "never played Ys at all" thing makes me sad. :<

Edited by Komeiji Koishi

I've never played them. Primarily because I'm a dad, and my money goes to games for my kids. I've heard off Ys through a friend from my hometown in New Jersey, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

I don't even have a Steam (I always thought all Steam games cost $, something I'm not privy to throw around on things for myself, but if it's this easy to enjoy games like this (that I thought were console exclusive), then I'd like to try it out.

I've.really been trying to get into the Ys series, and I've enjoyed what I've played of I & II on tgfx16 and a bit of Ys Seven. I'd like to get the other ones I'm steam, but, alas, I'm.poor/can't.manage money, so yeah. This seems like a great thing.you're doing, btw.

How can you be too poor to afford games on Steam during a sale? Ys I & II Chronicles is only $3.74 right now (but only for 3 1/2 more hours).

How can you be too poor to afford games on Steam during a sale? Ys I & II Chronicles is only $3.74 right now (but only for 3 1/2 more hours).

Something called no money at all. Like, the only money I have is one dollar in my Nintendo account; all my other money is vanish-ed. And I.don't have a job so....

Just wondering, where did you get all the copies from? Did you buy them yourself (considering Ys 1&2 Chronicles is on flash sale right now)?

I've played Ys Origin already (and yes, I quite liked it), though, so not going for any of your copies (I also have Recettear). You must be quite the dedicated fan for something like this (just felt like ending this post with another sentence in parentheses).

Yes, I bought them myself. Last time they were on sale I also bought some copies and gave them away. Since Ys 1&2 are especially cheap I bought more of those, but I have some copies of the others too.

And yes, I enjoy the Ys series and I like to show support for XSEED and Falcom since they're both relatively small companies that localize/make (respectively) some awesome games. Steam is very convenient for this, moreso than buying people PSP's and copies of Ys Seven or Vita's and Memories of Celceta.

I.can't believe I had no.typos there. Nevermind that last part

Wait crap that "never played Ys at all" thing makes me sad. :<

I've got extras of Ys 1&2 Chronicles+ so if you want that, hit me up on Steam and I don't mind making an exception.

I've never played them. Primarily because I'm a dad, and my money goes to games for my kids. I've heard off Ys through a friend from my hometown in New Jersey, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

I don't even have a Steam (I always thought all Steam games cost $, something I'm not privy to throw around on things for myself, but if it's this easy to enjoy games like this (that I thought were console exclusive), then I'd like to try it out.

That's awesome, which one would you like? I personally think Origin is a great starting point even though all the story points might not connect as it has great replay value and some of the best music and character development, but Oath in Felghana is also great in that it's pretty independent of all the other Ys games story-wise, but it's a little bit difficult if you're not great at video games or patient. Ys 1&2 are a bit retro but they ARE the first games and they're great classics in my mind, also with awesome music and they show what Ys is about, haha.

EDIT: Oh, and your Steam ID, please, so I can send it to you. If you don't have one, it's not to difficult--just install Steam and like most things, make a user account, they shouldn't need anything for you and since I'm gifting the game you shouldn't have to spend a dime (unless Steam has some idiotic rule saying you have to make a purchase first or something... I really hope not). Also I'm not sure I need you added as a friend but if I do I'll let you know. =)

Something called no money at all. Like, the only money I have is one dollar in my Nintendo account; all my other money is vanish-ed. And I.don't have a job so....

I understand, I can only afford this because I have 4 sources of income (only one of which is a proper employed job), trying to manage it all is a drag though but honestly spending the money on more than myself does a little FOR myself, gotta share what I'm fortunate to have or I won't be blessed with it for too long, haha.

Edited by Blazer

sounds interesting, I'd like to try Ys.

Not so sure which part of steam's the ID part but yeah.

found you, Sharpy should show up. idk how to message via steam tho

STEAM_0:1:79270067

my bad, it's "folgore_green"

Edited by Popeye

I've got extras of Ys 1&2 Chronicles+ so if you want that, hit me up on Steam and I don't mind making an exception.

I understand, I can only afford this because I have 4 sources of income (only one of which is a proper employed job), trying to manage it all is a drag though but honestly spending the money on more than myself does a little FOR myself, gotta share what I'm fortunate to have or I won't be blessed with it for too long, haha.

Dude, that's kinda awesome. Offering these games, which are masterpieces, for free? That's great.

I'll.kindly accept your offer, just let me get in steam. And I'll.take ys I & II, probably better to show off the other games to.someone who hasn't tried them, yeah?

Steam id (I think) is "Spiriter_Kalasman".

Or is is "Spiriter_Kalas"?

Edited by Komeiji Koishi

I would love to have these games, or at least Ys 1&2. I've honestly never been able to play them, mostly due to me being terribly poor. Seriously, I don't even have enough money to afford the games through the steam sale. ;-; I've heard a hell of a lot of good things about the series though, and I'd love to finally have a chance to play them. c:

My steam ID is Karakonraiser.

Oooh, wow.

This is really, really nice of you Blazer...

I mean, giving away games for free.

Wow.

Is Ys anything like Trails in the Sky? ('Cause I did play Trails in the Sky.)

If you have any leftover copies, could I, uh, perhaps have one?

My Steam account name is nealkim96.

I don't really think I've ever used it, though...

Edited by Fruity Insanity

What is Ys anyway. How do you pronounce that.

Ys is a location in the Ys series mainly relevant to the first two Ys games and Origin, pronounced like "Eece" as in "Fleece". Y's is wrong and will get you scorned by any slightly knowledgeable person, haha. I used to pronounce it "Yis" myself (with the 'y' being pronounced like an actual 'y', not a vowel) so I can hardly blame anyone for not knowing how to pronounce it though XD

sounds interesting, I'd like to try Ys.

Not so sure which part of steam's the ID part but yeah.

found you, Sharpy should show up. idk how to message via steam tho

STEAM_0:1:79270067

my bad, it's "folgore_green"

Added, messaged you asking for which, I don't think I've sent you it yet but my memory is seriously failing me haha (my inventory shows I haven't though so just message me with which one you want).

Dude, that's kinda awesome. Offering these games, which are masterpieces, for free? That's great.

I'll.kindly accept your offer, just let me get in steam. And I'll.take ys I & II, probably better to show off the other games to.someone who hasn't tried them, yeah?

Steam id (I think) is "Spiriter_Kalasman".

Or is is "Spiriter_Kalas"?

Added you, add me back so I can send it to you please. =)

I would love to have these games, or at least Ys 1&2. I've honestly never been able to play them, mostly due to me being terribly poor. Seriously, I don't even have enough money to afford the games through the steam sale. ;-; I've heard a hell of a lot of good things about the series though, and I'd love to finally have a chance to play them. c:

My steam ID is Karakonraiser.

Sure, I have copies of the others too so go ahead and add me (BBaller1337 IIRC) and choose freely. =)

Oooh, wow.

This is really, really nice of you Blazer...

I mean, giving away games for free.

Wow.

Is Ys anything like Trails in the Sky? ('Cause I did play Trails in the Sky.)

If you have any leftover copies, could I, uh, perhaps have one?

My Steam account name is nealkim96.

I don't really think I've ever used it, though...

Sure, which one? Just add me and I'll be happy to send it over. Ys is made by the same company, Falcom, but Trails in the Sky is more of a classical RPG with a focus on story and much greater length, while Ys is more of an action-RPG with more upbeat music, real-time battles, and IMO it's also a bit harder. While they're both in the general RPG category and both have awesome music, I think they're still quite different, but both very good (I've played Trails too and I'll be giving away copies once it comes out on Steam--which supposedly could be any day now, it's SUPPOSED to come out Winter 2013. That being said I'm kinda broke after buying like a $100 worth of Ys games so I'm waiting on my next paycheck XD)

For my sake, a quick list for SF people:

Elieson - waiting on Steam ID creation and selection

Popeye/Sharpy - added, waiting on selection

Koiji/Spiriter - added, waiting on add back, Ys 1&2 Sent

Kon - added, waiting on add back and selection

Fruity Insanity/nealkim - added, waiting on add back and selection

Edited by Blazer

Sure, which one? Just add me and I'll be happy to send it over. Ys is made by the same company, Falcom, but Trails in the Sky is more of a classical RPG with a focus on story and much greater length, while Ys is more of an action-RPG with more upbeat music, real-time battles, and IMO it's also a bit harder. While they're both in the general RPG category and both have awesome music, I think they're still quite different, but both very good (I've played Trails too and I'll be giving away copies once it comes out on Steam--which supposedly could be any day now, it's SUPPOSED to come out Winter 2013. That being said I'm kinda broke after buying like a $100 worth of Ys games so I'm waiting on my next paycheck XD)

Fruity Insanity/nealkim - added, waiting on add back and selection

Sounds good, but... It seems like I've come upon a problem.

You see, I made a Steam account after I heard that Trails would be coming out on Steam. I had never used it before.

And apparently, I can't add friends without purchasing at least one game.

And the only game I feel I want to purchase Trails. And maybe Ys, because I heard it's good.

Thanks again Blazer! I think you're one of my fave people here now. :P

Sounds good, but... It seems like I've come upon a problem.

You see, I made a Steam account after I heard that Trails would be coming out on Steam. I had never used it before.

And apparently, I can't add friends without purchasing at least one game.

And the only game I feel I want to purchase Trails. And maybe Ys, because I heard it's good.

There's quite a few free games on Steam, I think you can just download one of them and be done with it.

I can heartily recommend all of the steam Ys titles except I. Maybe it was just a side-effect of Nightmare, but the last series of bosses were simply pulling-teeth no-fun agony, and since you level cap like, 6 bosses before the end, you don't even have grind to fall back on like in other Ys titles. Dark Fact's floor dropping is pretty RNG bullshit too. That said, since chronicles was a package deal and Ys II was great, it's still mightily worth it, so even if you don't get in by the giveaway, seriously consider checking it out.

Origins is the best available game currently though, I can't count the number of times in Ys I where I'm like, I wish I was playing Origins again ;/, what with the storyline connection rubbing it in my face.

Anyway, super cool thing you're doing here, OP, and I have to give you some serious props. I hope accruing all this good karma pays itself forward to ya.

Yeah I'm researching the issue via Google, it definitely seems like a drag. You could try searching for a game that's like, under a $. I added you but it doesn't seem to have helped much (I can't seem to send it to you anyhow...).

Super Hexagon is only 59 cents, if you can afford that with a credit card or something...

EDIT: nevermind, looks like you got it. Just for my knowledge sake, mind telling me how you managed?

@Balcerzak aye I feel ya, being a rather old game it's a bit more hardcore which is why it's not the BEST entry title for people but that being said Ys Origin is a lot more expensive so it's harder to afford copies of that haha, Oath in Felghana is also pretty good but Origin is def. one of my favorite games since it's got pretty much everything (I also liked Memories of Celceta quite a bit though that one's not nearly as accessible since a Vita is needed...).

pays itself forward

reference to that movement "Pay it Forward"? Or perhaps just a coincidence, haha. Anyhow, it's really not a big deal but thanks for the kind words regardless.

Edited by Blazer

Tonight's a busy evening for me, with my other job and Christmas prep for my almost 4 year old. I'll try to get a Steam made late tonight/early tomorrow morning.

As for the game itself, if you suggest Origins, then I'll take your word as the experts' choice recommendation.

I truly appreciate the generosity. Everyone here should, I'm certain.

@Balcerzak aye I feel ya, being a rather old game it's a bit more hardcore which is why it's not the BEST entry title for people but that being said Ys Origin is a lot more expensive so it's harder to afford copies of that haha, Oath in Felghana is also pretty good but Origin is def. one of my favorite games since it's got pretty much everything (I also liked Memories of Celceta quite a bit though that one's not nearly as accessible since a Vita is needed...).

reference to that movement "Pay it Forward"? Or perhaps just a coincidence, haha. Anyhow, it's really not a big deal but thanks for the kind words regardless.

Oh, I hope you by no means interpreted that as a slight against your choice of quantity of gifts. That would be nothing but rude, on my part, and I certainly wasn't aiming for anything of the sort. It was more of a cautionary note/fair warning. What with part of the goal of your giveaway being an introduction to the Ys world, for anyone getting the Chronicles bundle, I thought they should be aware that either they should either take Ys I at a lower difficulty than they'd ordinarily consider playing at, or to not assume the rest of the series is going to be so unforgiving, and make sure to give the other games (especially Ys II, being included in the bundle) a second chance if Ys I didn't do it for them.

Intended reference was intended. :)