Have I been grinding too much?

cfoley

I'm on my first run through Awakening (which is also my first Fire Emblem game) and the last few battles have been suspiciously easy. I'm about to start chapter 14 and have 8 pairs with support level S. I can send most out into the middle of the enemy to watch all the bad guys attack and die.

I read that too much grinding makes your units game breakingly powerful. I've been doing all the side quests and have been using 1 or 2 Reeking Boxes between battles to level up my weaker characters and foster relationships. At the time, it was fun so I didn't consider if it was too much.

In addition to becoming easy, I finished chapter 13 or thereabouts and eight side quests appeared. I did a couple and it's now obvious what they are for. I get the impression that they should appear gradually as my story progresses, not all at once.

Are my suspicions about the game correct? I'm happy to start again without the reeking boxes.

The paralogues are to recruit children characters which you unlocked through the s rank relationships. And it really doesn't make a huge difference how much you grind the next few levels aren't that tough.

In a sense yes. The more you grind, the less EXP you'll get.

Though by that point, you'll probably cap multiple stats if you are second seal-ing. Especially on Normal.

And all the paralogues should be played when the parents have the skill they wish to pass down (ie Galeforce from Lissa to Owain) and high stats.

Though by that point, you'll probably cap multiple stats if you are second seal-ing. Especially on Normal.

And all the paralogues should be played when the parents have the skill they wish to pass down (ie Galeforce from Lissa to Owain) and high stats.

This too.

In that case maybe it would be better if I start over. I was playing on "Normal" and "Newcomer".

Well you should finish the story before anything,after that go to a harder difficulty,Lunatic would be a prime challenge since Hard is just a small stat buff and more skills.

I just found a difficult battle, so I guess I'm happy again. :)

It's the one where you have to choose which army to ally with: Knights or riders. I chose neither and had half my troops killed on the second turn. Then restarted and allied with the knights and it's still pretty tough.

Thanks for all the advice!

Some kids paralogues can be difficult. Did you get enough stats on Panne and her husband?

Though by the time I played that one, I had ground so much it was a joke. Sigh... I think Paralogue 16 (Daughter to Dragons) was toughest, with the weird walls and strong enemies.

No, I wondered if I could speak to him but he was killed before I got close enough. I'll get him next time!

I did get enough support stats on Panne. It's good to know that some of the paralogues are difficult. I think what crippled me was my battle preparations. I had a mix of my best units and lower level ones, thinking that I could level up the latter. But a lot of my weapons were ineffective against the knights (I allied with the riders). It turned out that one of my worse units outdid most of my best ones just because she had a hammer.

Edited by Balcerzak

Let me guess, it was Cherche.

... I meant actual stats, nothing support related at all. The higher the parents stats (Str, etc.) are at the start of the paralogue, the higher the kid's bases will be.

Also, did you make sure to pass a wyvern rider/wyvern lord/griffon rider skill to Yarne? He does not inherit this class for some reason.

... I meant actual stats, nothing support related at all. The higher the parents stats (Str, etc.) are at the start of the paralogue, the higher the kid's bases will be.

Also, did you make sure to pass a wyvern rider/wyvern lord/griffon rider skill to Yarne? He does not inherit this class for some reason.

I proved in a thread that the reason Yarne does not inherit the class is because he is diagnosed with heart failure as stated in the game which is possibly why he doesn't inherit the class.

I proved in a thread that the reason Yarne does not inherit the class is because he is diagnosed with heart failure as stated in the game which is possibly why he doesn't inherit the class.

He gets it from his father if they had it though. So Fredrick!Yarne has it, for example. But in case they don't have it, he should inherit a Wyvern Rider skill, Sword or Lance Breaker, probably.

I always use Swordbreaker or Str+2 myself, because they're the only ones a support Berserker cares about.

So TC... Did you switch the bottom screen from "simple" to "full" yet? On Normal, it starts on simple and simple doesn't show stats. Just wondering because you don't seem to be familiar with them. There's a little icon in the top right if you haven't.

And no, you haven't been grinding too much, the game (especially on Normal) is jus easy once you get the hang of it.

Yes, it was Cherche!

Thanks for the update. I misunderstood the first time around and didn't realise the Children inherited the stats and skills of the parents. Unfortunately, Yarne died before I could recruit him so nothing got passed on. I'm using just the one save slot too so I can't go back and get him. I'm not too worried about recruiting everyone the first time through. I'll do another run after where I try and maximise everything.

I always use Swordbreaker or Str+2 myself, because they're the only ones a support Berserker cares about.

So TC... Did you switch the bottom screen from "simple" to "full" yet? On Normal, it starts on simple and simple doesn't show stats. Just wondering because you don't seem to be familiar with them. There's a little icon in the top right if you haven't.

And no, you haven't been grinding too much, the game (especially on Normal) is jus easy once you get the hang of it.

I've been keeping it on simple but switching to full when I want to look at stats and experience. Something that seems to be missing on full is how to gauge the outcome of a battle. Simple gives a guess at both sides resultant HP. I'm sure that information is in there somewhere but I don't know how to do the calculation myself.

Good to hear the game is just easy. I reckon I'll just keep playing through casually and use lower level units to make it tougher.

Your remaining HP will be your current HP - the amount of damage you take, and the amount of damage you take is going to be your enemy's Atk - your Def/Res. Same goes for them. Double Attacks happen if you have at least 5 more Spd than your enemy, and same goes for them. That doesn't factor in procs like Ignis and Luna, but neither does the battle forecast in Simple.

I grinded too much in my game, but who cares, I like it.

Same. Lucina's mum is almost always someone who passes down Galeforce and if i dont want to make Lucina a pegknight, i just grind until Galeforce happens on her mum. So by chapter 13, a couple of people are usually madly overleveled. Har.

Same. Lucina's mum is almost always someone who passes down Galeforce and if i dont want to make Lucina a pegknight, i just grind until Galeforce happens on her mum. So by chapter 13, a couple of people are usually madly overleveled. Har.

We need a Like button for posts like yours. :)

I should've grinded Sumia to 20/15 Dark Flier. :( In my current run, I wasn't going to grind, but I had bad luck with the RNG in some level ups and also a few maps, and I'm the kind of person who insists on certain characters despite RNG screwage, so I just said "screw it" and went to EXP Growth to bring some units up to speed. Also, Chrom and Avatar were getting OP compared to the other units and I didn't want the game to become a Chrom solo.