Super Underrated Units?

PKL

FE6: Lott, Treck, Noah, Bartre (he may not double much, but he OHKO many things. In NM).

FE7:Erk, Karel (com on, he isn't that bad. he is just bad), Lowen

FE8: Rennac, Dozla, Garcia

FE5: XAVIER (no shit 2/10 on last rate the unit? he isn't even that dick to recruit!), Brighton, Machua, Dalsin (he is maybe not great, but you need him in some chapters, and he still can ORKO with Brave Axe), Fred (very good midgame unit), Glade (almost Fred), Ralph.

Edited by Nicolas

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fe6: Noah and Treck, they're outclassed by the starting cavalry, but they are still perfectly useable units in their own right.

Fe10: Sigrun. It is true that she has bad bases and horrible growths, but I believe the circumstances make her useful. Her first chapter is that annoying bridge level where she allows people to travel safely and there's a dessert chapter not far from where she joins where flying is a big help as well. Her stats aren't impressive, but she still fights decently well and she's forced anyway in most of her chapters if I recall correctly so she's not taking a spot.

Fe12: Gordin. Most people end up overlooking him for Ryan. I think they don't differ too much. Neither of the two are all that great unpromoted, but snipers extra move and extreme promo gains help both out pretty nicely.

Fe13: Ricken. I frequently hear people on gamefaqs call him the worst unit in the game, which is a little harsh in my opinion. He's certainly not the best unit in the game, but he's more mediocre then horrible.

that's fine, shanna and tate are both great units, too. postponing shin's use until ilia is dumb because then you've neglected him over the period of the game in which he does best.

It is dumb, which is why I pointed it out. Also, Tate is kind of bad combat-wise in NM and Shanna is the same in HM. They can be used, certainly, but it's a lot of feeding kills and headache if you're not playing efficiently for not a lot of reward.

Marth in FE12 is the only unit to seize villages and castles while spending the whole time traveling to get there. If Marth was a unit that did not have these auxiliary duties he would be fairly okay. Especially if he could get a promotion out of it as well.

I could sort of see Marth being underrated, but only since he spends so much time trying to loot villages and claiming castle gates for his own.

Theres a reason why I said Marth does "everything:

Being somewhat.... technical here, Marth technically does have a "promotion". His caps is still so-so at best tho(27 Speed only doubles DK, and at that point DK are pretty much all but extinct)

FE5: XAVIER (no shit 2/10 on last rate the unit? he isn't even that dick to recruit!), Brighton, Machua, Dalsin (he is maybe not great, but you need him in some chapters, and he still can ORKO with Brave Axe), Fred (very good midgame unit), Glade (almost Fred), Ralph.

I don't see Dalsin having much use because he's an Armorknight in a game with a lot of bulky axe users unaffected by Hammers. You already have Brighton, then you get Hicks, free Othin and Halvan from Hannibal, recruit Marty and then get the big daddy of bulky axe users in Dagda. What has Dalsin got over them? Using lances indoors.

And Machua has been praised pretty highly around here for using axes while being a woman, even when she's pretty meh until she promotes and there's a lot of competition from better footsoldiers.

Edited by Woodshooter

Fe13: Ricken. I frequently hear people on gamefaqs call him the worst unit in the game, which is a little harsh in my opinion. He's certainly not the best unit in the game, but he's more mediocre then horrible.

I think most of the Ricken hate stems from his truly horrible start. He begins with only 5 spd. That's the same as Kellam's base spd. Also remember at that point the team already has two viable mages, in Miriel and Avatar at a time when deployment limits are around 9. Mages will still have no chance of doubling at this point in the game and the +Def pair-ups should be saved for physical units really.

For many players (me included) Ricken is a very slow unit who needs a lot a protection in order to not get chopped down when at that point in the game, everybody bar Frederick and Kellam needs to be placed carefully to avoid that until they start snowballing in power. I usually just take his Elwind and move on.

I guess you could say he suffers I similar problem to Maribelle. She comes right at the point where having two unarmed healers becomes a large liability and faces competition from Lissa, who has spent the last 5 chapters having a complete monopoly on healing duties. All Maribelle brings is a little extra Mov and a Mend staff.

i never understood this statement

oswin hits like a truck, lowen hits like a kitten

He's not exactly Oswin on a horse but his really good HP/DEF mean Enemies with iron weapons don't really threaten him and then when enemies start wielding steel weapons(or heavy tomes) Lowen is doubling them frequently. His stat distribution works out quite good in practice(just his offense is a little low and his low starting skill/hit can be annoying in ranked).

Edited by arvilino