Do you play as a girl or a guy ?

Tamanoir

I flip a coin. Such as in FE7 where you get to choose a gender that does absolutely nothing other than change up some dialogue.

Expect in cases where it actually matters I will choose accordingly. FE12 Male MU has better classes. Or FE13 where FeMU and Chrom give you some easily accessible Lucina and Morgan pair.

Male because male.

Sometimes I get puzzled when female friends refuse to play a game on the grounds that there is no female option and the reason is because "males are disgusting"

Strange... So they won't play TLOZ games?

I don't think you should care much if the game is great. (Like Metroid games - since I'm male)

Edited by Naughx

Hmm, well, I play as the male for the most part. If the game supports more than one save file (or in the case of Pokémon, I can acquire both versions), I do at least one playthrough with each. This practice isn't just for gender, though, I do that whenever the game gives you choices and allows for enough saves to cover them all.

I play almost always as female characters.. I don't even know why, since the is no real reason behind.

I choose even the females if they are weaker difficulty- or gameplaywise. Additional difficulty is the way to go!

Even in FE13 i never really played a file as the MaMU although i've completed the game like 15 times. I just love my FeMU as a Peg/Falcoknight to much <3

Male if you get to create your own character (and Pokemon), otherwise it depends (for example, in Mario Kart Wii, I usually choose to play as either Peach or Rosalina) .

Edited by NinjaMonkey

For me, it depends on the game, and the character design. For example, I always play Black/White 1 as a female because I really like the female design, and I'd rather play Black/White 2 as a male simply because I like the design better (not by much mind you, I really don't like either trainer in BW2). More often than not, I'll choose the female option though.

For me it really varies a lot. I do not adhere to my gender stereotype and I always enjoy playing a character whose dialogue options I agree with, so that's what I tend to seek out though I prefer a male characer over a female one in general.

In Dragon Age, I clearly preferred playing a female character, even though I've done runs in both genders. In my opinion the female gets the better conversation options/option not to be stereotypically male or female. In Mass Effect I didn't have a preference for either; male Shepard was too much of a beefcake to my tastes but in comparison to female Shepard he had better dialogue IMO.

I alternate: in my first file/version of a game I'll be male, in my second I'll usually play female. I find that I like playing as a girl quite a lot because their outfits and hairstyles are generally more interesting than the boys'. There is a slightly weird feeling, though, when I play online using a female character. I've not noticed any discrimination between sexes at all; I just don't like people thinking I'm a woman. That said, I shall NOT restart my 300-hour-plus-long MH3U file just to be a man.

• 1 month later...

in fe:a i chose a male even though i'm, "female", because i really want to marry one of the girls (especially sully/panne), but i'll probably be a female on my second run.

in pokemon i chose female because the females looked really cute, and they have more clothing options.

in animal crossing i also chose a female because they have better hair options.

it really just depends on the way they look for me, i guess.